Its crazy, but Chael Sonnen could have been the 3RD two division UFC champion

I think some of you are missing the point of this thread. He didn't say Chael was an all time great. He said he could have been a two division champ and that is undeniable. If he held on for another minute and a half he beats Anderson. If he makes it out of the round he beats Jon by tko doctor stoppage. He was two minutes away from winning two belts and that's a fact.

It's an interesting assessment. But yeah this is why good posters don't make threads on this site anymore.

Brock has legit GnP and top control.

UFC100-LesnarMir-5.gif~c200

He also has a sub game for like a handful of fights he had... and more heart... Chael will quit as soon as someone is pounding on him from top position like ex: Jones, Rashad.

And Anderson in the 2nd fight too.

Funny thing is, he was totally fine after the ref stepped in. Not hurt at all, even did an interview in the cage with Joe Rogan.

Funny thing is, he was totally fine after the ref stepped in. Not hurt at all, even did an interview in the cage with Joe Rogan.
PED Anderson vs clean Sonnen in part 2. Karma

Four years later and people are still complaining that Chael didn't get a chance to beat Jones via freak injury.

Shertards never disappoint.

Even if he hadn't been choked out by Silva the fight would have been overturned due to Sonnen's failed drug test and while Chael was suspended Anderson would have fought Vitor. Not sure how that would have affected Anderson's title defence streak though.
If the ref had noticed Jon's toe or Chael had survived another 30 seconds he would have won the title but no one would take it any more seriously than Vitor's LHW title 'victory' over Randy. They would have rematched and Chael would have been destroyed. It would have been funny if Jones had a second loss with a huge asterisk next to it though.

The guy has legit skills. Sad that he wasn't a WEC or UFC champion. So close yet so far.

Chael Sonnen you even defeat me! Prise the king!

For everyone who says the fight with Jones wouldnt have been stopped. Jones maybe would have wanted to continue I am sure. however, when bones exiting the skin "serious compound fractures" that will bleed everywhere no Doctor would let it go.
"Had Sonnen lasted another 27 seconds, he would have become champion. If Jones went back to his corner after the first round with a broken toe, doctors would have stopped the fight immediately and awarded Sonnen a TKO victory."

Michael Chandler lost his belt last night because he tweaked his ankle on his own, kind of fucked up way of losing but it can happen.

Yea I don't know exactly how to describe it.. I'm sure it's a bad position and it hurts to get pounded on but you are right he ain't KO'ed and he is up right after, maybe he knows he just can't get back up if they got him in those positions, maybe it's a mental block but in his prime, with experience, with age still okay, full of PEDs and he freaking quit he could have won a world tittle and do so much more but he quits, bad mental game, bad sub defense, bad if anyone reverse wrestles him etc etc.. it's not about the damage I think it's just some deeper mental shit with him.

While Brock who I'm kinda sure he wasn't punch much in the face growing up we all saw how he reacted when (big HWs that are pro at hurting people) tag him in the face, he clearly reacts very badly and he took tons of shit from fans because of it but you know what he didn't quit.. he had a 295 lbs Carwin on top of him with brick for hands going to town but he didn't quit... now put Chael in that position instant quitting.. it's like "he got me he is on top game over"... or freaking 4 and a half rounds riding Anderson and acting busy and all that just to mess it up in the end.

Yea I don't know exactly how to describe it.. I'm sure it's a bad position and it hurts to get pounded on but you are right he ain't KO'ed and he is up right after, maybe he knows he just can't get back up if they got him in those positions, maybe it's a mental block but in his prime, with experience, with age still okay, full of PEDs and he freaking quit he could have won a world tittle and do so much more but he quits, bad mental game, bad sub defense, bad if anyone reverse wrestles him etc etc.. it's not about the damage I think it's just some deeper mental shit with him.

While Brock who I'm kinda sure he wasn't punch much in the face growing up we all saw how he reacted when (big HWs that are pro at hurting people) tag him in the face, he clearly reacts very badly and he took tons of shit from fans because of it but you know what he didn't quit.. he had a 295 lbs Carwin on top of him with brick for hands going to town but he didn't quit... now put Chael in that position instant quitting.. it's like "he got me he is on top game over"... or freaking 4 and a half rounds riding Anderson and acting busy and all that just to mess it up in the end.
I like the break down man. Very well said. Its nice to see someone intelligent once in a while

Facts are facts and wins are wins no matter how they occur

IF Chael just had a little more heart and a lot less bad luck. He would have joined BJ Penn and Randy Couture as the 3rd two division champion. At the same time having a W over the two current GOATS.

BEATING THE WEC CHAMPION PAULO FILHO: Chael Sonnen would have been WEC MW champion after he defeated the then undefeated WEC MW champion Paulo Filho, but couldn't get the belt upon winning because Filho missed weight making it a non-title fight.

NEARLY DEFEATING THE MW GOAT ANDERSON SILVA: For 5 rounds he put on a clinic actually rocking Silva a couple times with punches and beat him up on the ground, unfortunately Sonnen got too over confident....gave up in the last minute when he thought he'd had done enough to win on the cards and coast until the buzzer to become the new UFC MW champion......................and got submitted.

NEARLY DEFEATING JON JONES: Yep, it may be the most outrageous of them all, but its a fact. IF Chael just could have weathered the storm making it out of the first round, the doctor would have most definitely had stopped the fight due to Jones's big toe having been broken completely off hanging on by skin and Sonnen would have won by Dr. stoppage becoming LHW champion

Great athletes step up when required.

Almost doesn't mean shit.

He is a 0 division champion. Stop being delusional. He lost those fights because he has never been a good fighter.. he is just a less tough Brock Lesnar. About the same skills.

Outside of good wrestling, he isn't good at anything.

Never been a good fighter? Good grief.

Wtf..

Back