"It's Absurd" - 6 Baltimore Schools Have Zero Students Proficient In State Math, English Tests

So..... No ideas from the peanut gallery. Surprise.

Make these schools more accessible and efficient:
cap on all pensions at 100k
open schools year round, even if its just the gym/library, which could easily be achieved by paying someone 15$ hour
allow volunteers/retired residents
competitive contracts for school lunches and get rid of the regulations
beg local business to hire from public schools, even Wendy's, 350$ week is pretty good money at 18 and it will keep someone out of trouble

Basically quit letting people get rich off the education field, 100k pensions equals millions of dollars wasted for someone who just taught a lesson to a student for 45 minutes,

We can fixate on the parents in B-more but I said 40% of kids aren't at grade level. That means that the problem is far larger than just the stereotyped black parent. Black kids don't make up 40% of school age children. But some people are so fixated on their race based arguments that they refuse to move past that point. .

And what to do about it is pretty much established. Kindergarten today is what 1st grade was 30 years ago. That means that the average child entering kindergarten needs to be more academically prepared than his parents were at the same point of life. By necessity, that means that pre-k academic preparation has to be geared towards meeting that level of preparation and for the most part it's not. Pre-K caregivers are not selected from the top of the heap. Most of the time they don't even need an associate's degree.

And kids who start behind the curve generally do not catch up because the system does not foster mastery before sending them to a higher difficulty. So a 1st grader is struggling will end up in 2nd grade before he's mastered 1st grade work. Obviously, he'll struggle even more with the 2nd grade material and fall further behind. When he's sent up to 3rd grade, he's so far behind the material that it's impossible for him to bridge the gap on his own. This is happening as early as kindergarten.

We can't have it both ways. We can't ramp up the academic requirements for kindergarten without putting something into place to prepare kids for it. And if we don't want to pull kids away from their parents at 3 and 4 then we need to return kindergarten to being the place where academic skills are developed instead of being a place where they are assumed to exist pre-entry.

Lots of countries don't start formal school till 6 and don't expect the kids to have any of these things in place prior to school so everything is taught from day 1. We've gone in the opposite direction, we're starting academics earlier and assuming that kids know more so we don't teach it. Obviously, this causes a problem in those households where the kids weren't at academically rigorous daycares from 3-5 years of age.

You are very intelligent. I appreciate that.

Yes the US needs to focus more on education.

The liberals Know this but they just feel like they have to do soemthing. They can't hold society or certain cultures responsible for continual shitty decisions so they feel that money is the next best thing. They just feel like they have to help in some way. And telling people to close their fuckin legs apparently isnt one of the ways they want to help.

So..... No ideas from the peanut gallery. Surprise.
The peanut gallery says the only way real change will come is through culture and societal change. But since that is almost impossible, especially with liberals having a do what you wanna do as long as it doesn't hurt anyone attitude. Well guess what, most shit affects other people. And since liberals are more interested in making excuses for people instead of holding people accountable, the shit wont change. Of course liberals will still keep throwing money at the problem. Gotta try and do something even if it has shown time after time after time that it doesn't work.

Hey we've done it your way for 50 fuckin years and shit has gotten worse, how bout we try our way for a while.

We can fixate on the parents in B-more but I said 40% of kids aren't at grade level. That means that the problem is far larger than just the stereotyped black parent. Black kids don't make up 40% of school age children. But some people are so fixated on their race based arguments that they refuse to move past that point. .

And what to do about it is pretty much established. Kindergarten today is what 1st grade was 30 years ago. That means that the average child entering kindergarten needs to be more academically prepared than his parents were at the same point of life. By necessity, that means that pre-k academic preparation has to be geared towards meeting that level of preparation and for the most part it's not. Pre-K caregivers are not selected from the top of the heap. Most of the time they don't even need an associate's degree.

And kids who start behind the curve generally do not catch up because the system does not foster mastery before sending them to a higher difficulty. So a 1st grader is struggling will end up in 2nd grade before he's mastered 1st grade work. Obviously, he'll struggle even more with the 2nd grade material and fall further behind. When he's sent up to 3rd grade, he's so far behind the material that it's impossible for him to bridge the gap on his own. This is happening as early as kindergarten.

We can't have it both ways. We can't ramp up the academic requirements for kindergarten without putting something into place to prepare kids for it. And if we don't want to pull kids away from their parents at 3 and 4 then we need to return kindergarten to being the place where academic skills are developed instead of being a place where they are assumed to exist pre-entry.

Lots of countries don't start formal school till 6 and don't expect the kids to have any of these things in place prior to school so everything is taught from day 1. We've gone in the opposite direction, we're starting academics earlier and assuming that kids know more so we don't teach it. Obviously, this causes a problem in those households where the kids weren't at academically rigorous daycares from 3-5 years of age.

When my oldest kid started kindergarten the requirement for the kids was to be able to count to 10??? WTF and this is at one of the best public schools in the state. And guess what, there were fuckin kids that couldn't do it. How the fuck can your 5 or 6 year old not count to fuckin 10? I don't give a shit if you are a single parent or not, you got the fuckin time to teach your kid to count to 10 and say their abc. My child could count to 1000, count to 100 by odds and evens, 5, 10s, 20s, etc. She could write out the entire alphabet, etc. How fuckin pathetic as a parent do you have to be to where you have had 6 years to teach your kid to count to 10 and you can't even manage that. No single mom works that much.

Ohh and these were white kids as well.

Make these schools more accessible and efficient:
cap on all pensions at 100k
open schools year round, even if its just the gym/library, which could easily be achieved by paying someone 15$ hour
allow volunteers/retired residents
competitive contracts for school lunches and get rid of the regulations
beg local business to hire from public schools, even Wendy's, 350$ week is pretty good money at 18 and it will keep someone out of trouble

Basically quit letting people get rich off the education field, 100k pensions equals millions of dollars wasted for someone who just taught a lesson to a student for 45 minutes,

Pay workers less, feel like that might cause an issue with quality.

Other than that, keeping programs up year round is a decent option. More time doing something productive means less time to get in trouble.

Liberals+Unions+Unlimited taxpayer funds= a huge embarrassing failure, how can democrats argue that they are not the party of illiterate thieves? <45>

"Baltimore schools spend a staggering $16,000 per student - the fourth-highest rate in the nation - and still an investigation by Fox45's Project Baltimore revealed that at six city schools, not one student scored proficient on either the statewide tests for English and math.
At West Baltimore's Frederick Douglass High, one of five high schools and one middle school where not one student scored a four or a five on the state test, only one out of 185 students who took the test last year scored a three, while 165 students scored a one, the lowest possible score.

"In fact, only 50% of Frederick Douglass students ever graduate."

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-...o-students-proficient-state-math-english-test

I blame Betsy DeVos.

Destruction of family

Absent fathers.

No role models

Idiot mothers with 17 children with different "baby daddies".

I mean....this is a

"I'm not surprised motherfuckers.gif"

Moment

Yep, largely caused by the destruction of the middle class manufacturing jobs in urban areas.

I haven't read all the responses but:

Has anyone thought about finding the schools doing very well and making all the kids get up an hour-and-a-half earlier to get bussed to the terrible schools? That way, some schools might go down on average but its far less likely that there will be schools where all the students are deficient. Isn't that a loftier goal? I mean, what could possibly go wrong?

When my oldest kid started kindergarten the requirement for the kids was to be able to count to 10??? WTF and this is at one of the best public schools in the state. And guess what, there were fuckin kids that couldn't do it. How the fuck can your 5 or 6 year old not count to fuckin 10? I don't give a shit if you are a single parent or not, you got the fuckin time to teach your kid to count to 10 and say their abc. My child could count to 1000, count to 100 by odds and evens, 5, 10s, 20s, etc. She could write out the entire alphabet, etc. How fuckin pathetic as a parent do you have to be to where you have had 6 years to teach your kid to count to 10 and you can't even manage that. No single mom works that much.

Ohh and these were white kids as well.

Race doesn't really matter, my earlier point was that people keep reducing it to a race thing when it's a problem with how schools are structured. As to the rest, this is for ages 5-6, developmentally its normal for some kids to not be counting to ten yet:

Some children at the beginning of this year are still learning how to verbally count by ones up to "ten." The average five-year-old, however, will be able to use the "teen" pattern to accurately count to "20." (Some children may not be able to count up to "20" until age six.) Other children will be able to use repeating patterns to accurately count up to "42," with the average child able to do this by the second half of this year. (Some children may not be able to count up to "42" until age six.) In the second half of this year, a few five-year-olds will be able to use repeating patterns to accurately count up to "200." (The average child can count to "200" at age six.)

http://www.pbs.org/parents/childdevelopmenttracker/five/mathematics.html

Last edited:
Back