It seems Jose Aldo already contacted a lawyer to assess his contract situation

Asking for a release from your contract is not breaching. In fact a lot of contracts have language in them that either party can ask for release at any point. The UFC can certainly release fighters at their discretion, and fighters have requested release in the past and been granted it. So it would not surprise me if there was some verbage in the contract dealing with requesting releases.

What i suspect will happen is the UFC will quietly offer Aldo an undisclosed sum to sit on his hands and quiet down for a bit. Not sure he will do it though. This seems more about pride than money. Aldo is a huge star in Brazil. He has leverage over the UFC. It might not be Conor leverage, but it's leverage. And Aldo woulf be just fine in another org making less for fighting and much much more for sponsorship.

I doubt Aldo has any leverage over the UFC in any way, shape or form. He may be a draw in Brazil but there are 100 other Brazilians that can be just as easily promoted.

If McGregor beats Alvarez, Aldo will be on the UFC 207 card fighting Holloway for the title.

If Alvarez beats McGregor, Aldo will be fighting McGregor on 209 or 210 for the title.

Aldo is not finished with the UFC.

Maybe, I personally don't see CMac fighting at 145 ever again

It's true, he contacted me last night.

I'm working on getting him out of FakeFC and have him go to Rizin and fight some real competition.

He would be in the exact same situation. Just look how Dana and the UFC treated Benson Henderson before he went to Bellator. Benson always stepped up when guys pulled out and he was treated like garbage. The UFC consistently screws over people who are not Conor, Ronda, Brock and the likes.

Where I'm from, we call it white privilege...

That loophole would at best get him out of his UFC contract. He won't get the real FW title fight since it's up to the promotion.

There have been plenty of fighters who wanted out of their contract to fight elsewhere or retire, and with high-profile fighters it pretty much never happens because there's competition out there. Bellator did this too with Alvarez. They can make you sit out your contract and pay for he fights that should've happened during that period. Or if you retire, they'll freeze your contract, which remains the same when unretiring

If Randy couldn't get out to fight Fedor, Aldo won't get out either

Randy wanted to still live in America and keep his assets there. Foreign fighters don't have to worry about this kind of thing. Especially if they were smart enough to keep their assets out of the US.

It's been less than a year, Aldo. Just take a step back.

The only thing that is going to happen if this suit goes to court is Aldo's lawyer taking advantage of him.

Guarantee he won't retire. A bag of money with a cartoon money Sign on it will fix all wounds. He just bucking right now. He shall fight max halloway and beat him back into irrelevance and will fight McGregor at lightweight for the title or whoever the champion is.. all his nay sayers in here are right tho... He isn't a huge draw and he withdrew from a ton of matches... But he is a legend already and deserves respect..

good for him.
Hope he gets out of his contract.
Hope to see him fight where fighters are treated with more respect, and not like expendable merchandize.

Randy wanted to still live in America and keep his assets there. Foreign fighters don't have to worry about this kind of thing. Especially if they were smart enough to keep their assets out of the US.

UFC would take him to court and block and future card to put Aldo on it, contracts dont only apply within the country signed.

Dana White let prime Baby Jay leave the UFC, why would anyone think he would appease Aldo?

Remember when Couture and Wand had issues? They couldn't just leave so easy.

Wow, a lawyer getting all cocky on twitter, the UFC must be terrified.

Asking for a release from your contract is not breaching. In fact a lot of contracts have language in them that either party can ask for release at any point. The UFC can certainly release fighters at their discretion, and fighters have requested release in the past and been granted it. So it would not surprise me if there was some verbage in the contract dealing with requesting releases.

What i suspect will happen is the UFC will quietly offer Aldo an undisclosed sum to sit on his hands and quiet down for a bit. Not sure he will do it though. This seems more about pride than money. Aldo is a huge star in Brazil. He has leverage over the UFC. It might not be Conor leverage, but it's leverage. And Aldo woulf be just fine in another org making less for fighting and much much more for sponsorship.

The key word in your statement is "ask".... He can ask all he wants, if the UFC says no, it's no. He has no legal recourse at that point.

And furthermore why would he ask to be let out of his contract if he is retiring? Seriously there is no reason to exit a contract when you are done fighting. Lots of fighters have retired with fights left on their contracts, Randy Couture, Chuck Liddell, Rich Franklin, Forest Griffin, etc.

The only time this matters is if you plan to go to another organization... This is why the UFC locks their fighters into ironclad contracts. The UFC could care less if Aldo actually retires, that is entirely up to him and as I mentioned before, despite his being a talented fighter, he has actually cost the UFC a great deal of money over the years by pulling out of no less than 6 title fights...

What the UFC cares about and why they have contracts is Aldo leaving the UFC and going elsewhere and the other organization benefiting from the advertising and reputation Aldo developed on the UFC's nickle.

It's a pretty simple concept.

He could pull a Paul Daley.

You mean a Fabrico Werdum? Or a Roy Nelson? Or a Rousimar Palhares?

Sure he can do something blatantly illegal and get fired from the UFC. And this will do what to his value with another organization? Sure Bellator signs everyone but Aldo is not a draw except in his market. Last I checked Bellator is not running shows in Brazil. The bulk of the PPV business is in the US. Gates are another matter but they are a fraction of the total revenue for an event.

Palhares is now banned from pretty much every reputable organization in existence. Dana White has stated emphatically that Roy Nelson is done in the UFC, Paul Daley will never return to the UFC, etc. Funny that we haven't heard him weigh in on the crap Werdum pulled yet.

Permanently getting yourself banned from the biggest show in the world to get out of a contract is pretty damned stupid...

No it isn't, Jose is still with the UFC so you can't even put him in that bracket. What were Chael, Davis & Rory going to do in the UFC?

Didn't say they got him already. Just stated it'd be cool if that group of organizations partnered up and really made a push to compete with the UFC.

Didn't say they got him already. Just stated it'd be cool if that group of organizations partnered up and really made a push to compete with the UFC.
It'd be cool if there was no cancer and other terminal illness' either, but that isn't how the world works.

Back