IT Movie (First Critics Reactions Online)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had no idea Tim Curry was sick... I swear everyone from my childhood is dead or dying.

stork.jpg

This shit looks way scarier.

To be fair, the original movie was a made for TV miniseries and was certainly not top caliber casting OR acting.

It's awesome that one of Americas finest horror novels is going to get a big budget release.

Honestly I don't even consider it a remake.

My take on Stephen King's IT is simple, it never aged well and seems really dated. I will not say that about a lot of movies either. The movie is unscary as well.

I will gladly rewatch Jaws or Rosemary's Baby over IT.

Last edited:
To be fair, the original movie was a made for TV miniseries and was certainly not top caliber casting OR acting.

It's awesome that one of Americas finest horror novels is going to get a big budget release.

Honestly I don't even consider it a remake.
It's funny, they made that fairly long miniseries and still cut a bunch of stuff out of the book, understandably. So I wonder how much more they are going to cut to get this down to a movie.

It's funny, they made that fairly long miniseries and still cut a bunch of stuff out of the book, understandably. So I wonder how much more they are going to cut to get this down to a movie.
Wow. What a great point. I'd say that regardless of how good the film ends up being, the purists will undoubtably complain that 30-40% of the story line was left out.

Unless it's a 3 hour movie that runs through each scene with blistering speed.

As others have said, it seems they are trying too hard to make him look scary. The simple look works best as it is way more creepy looking, especially when you are already aware of the sinister vibe of the character.

But who knows, it's just one promotional photo and not a very revealing one at that. Ill wait until the trailer.

About time a palatable adaptation is made. The first go-round was an abomination. Pennywise Tim Curry was the only good thing.

that whole thing was awesome to me except for the ending. The shitty special fx killed it.

looks like they nerfed the clown pretty bad, but I'll hold my formal judgement until we see more.

Well, at least Penny Wise looks miles better than Elba's Roland.

Please Hollywood, don't ruin two of my favorite books of all time. I'm still keeping the faith.

Hollywood is like Isis going back and destroying the past

damn near ruined the book for me

Why? I first read the book in 8th grade and I thought it was pretty good. It could have been more explicit I remember. It is a book----a fictional story. If it was real life Bev would be a teacher instead of a 5th grader.

all this thread did was remind me how shit getting older is. IT was like the first thing I watched that was legit scary to me at a young age...fuck clowns!

Overall I enjoyed the book. I always thought Pennywise was its biggest problem though, and everything he did sucked.

Never seen it or read the book, is it worth a go? I'm sure I'll end up seeing the remake so would rather see the original first, should I read the book before watching the original?

Well like many people of my generation (born in the early 80s) I had seen the miniseries when it aired, and I considered it one of the greatest, scariest horror movies ever made. Until, of course, I rewatched it when I was in my early 20s. It fuckin sucked balls.

I'm usually pretty cynical about remakes and stuff, I'll try to keep as open a mind as I can about this one. But something that already has me a little wary is the fact that the first movie will be about them as kids and the second will be about them as adults. When I finally got around to reading the book a few years ago, what I found to be the best part of it was how the narrative was constantly jumping back and forth from the 50s to the 80s, to the point that both storylines sort of came to their conclusion at the same time in the book. In the miniseries, that wasn't really the case. It started with them as adults and IT coming back, then showed them as kids, then showed them as adults. Obviously, switching up the narrative wouldn't have been enough to overcome the overall shittiness and cheesiness of the miniseries, but it may have helped a bit. I was hoping that any new IT remake on the screen would be a little closer to the book when it came to chronology, but I guess that's not the case.

I thought IT was a great book, one of King's best, but I can never comment on it without saying: wtf was he thinking with that gangbang?!? I know he was a mess with drugs and alcohol at that point in his life but still, it takes a pretty fuckin demented mind to think that was a good idea. Also shows that he was selling so many damn books that editors and publishers were scared to tell him when something should be cut out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back