IT Movie (First Critics Reactions Online)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I strongly recommend you read the book. As good as this movie may be it cannot come close to how terrifying the book is.

Bro! I just want to be sitting on the edge of my seat. I don't want to be sitting on the edge of my seat with a loaded M-4 and a barb wire wrapped baseball bat for comfort! :)

Update: August 9, 2017

New IT Image of Pennywise the Clown from Empire Magazine

E6dvART.jpg

I can't be the only one who thinks he looks like Chuckie from Rugrats. This movie does nothing for me. It's been done.

I just watched the 1990 movie and just based on looks Tim Curry's clown was MUCH, MUCH, MUCH creepier than this new version. The pics and clips of this new one I've seen doesn't bother me at all. But Curry's clown was legitimately eerie.

I just watched the 1990 movie and just based on looks Tim Curry's clown was MUCH, MUCH, MUCH creepier than this new version. The pics and clips of this new one I've seen doesn't bother me at all. But Curry's clown was legitimately eerie.

To be fair, its also been nearly 30 years. If 30 years ago you saw this version of Pennywise you might have a different reaction.

They had a preview that was just the iconic SS Georgie scene before Annabelle:Creation. Even though it basically was an identical cut of the 1990 movie visually it looked great...the voice of Pennywise though didn't fit and seemed off? It was distracting and borderline annoying.

The only thing that has me interested in the film is that it's rated R.

Going to shift the tone big time compared to a PG13 version and take to a lot darker places, compared to its TV Movie counterpart.

To be fair, its also been nearly 30 years. If 30 years ago you saw this version of Pennywise you might have a different reaction.

Maybe. But I'd never seen the 90s film before the other night so I got to see it with a completely fresh set of eyes. I wasn't expecting a lot because it was Made-for-TV but it actually turned out to be pretty damn creepy and the clown itself, just the simple, traditional look of it was really damn creepy. The way Tim Curry played it just made it even moreso.

From what I've seen of this new clown, it seems like they're trying way too hard and overcompensating. It looks more like something you'd see in Alice in Wonderland than in a true horror movie. Nothing I've seen thus far strikes me in the least bit as creepy or eerie. They're essentially getting by on loud shrill jump noises to compensate for true terror. At least in the trailers.

I won't be surprised if this turns out to be another Poltergeist (Remake).

The only thing that has me interested in the film is that it's rated R.

Going to shift the tone big time compared to a PG13 version and take to a lot darker places, compared to its TV Movie counterpart.

This one is rated R? Really ? I thought it was going to be extremely watered down and lame...hoping it's actually going to be hardcore

Maybe. But I'd never seen the 90s film before the other night so I got to see it with a completely fresh set of eyes. I wasn't expecting a lot because it was Made-for-TV but it actually turned out to be pretty damn creepy and the clown itself, just the simple, traditional look of it was really damn creepy. The way Tim Curry played it just made it even moreso.

From what I've seen of this new clown, it seems like they're trying way too hard and overcompensating. It looks more like something you'd see in Alice in Wonderland than in a true horror movie. Nothing I've seen thus far strikes me in the least bit as creepy or eerie. They're essentially getting by on loud shrill jump noises to compensate for true terror. At least in the trailers.

I won't be surprised if this turns out to be another Poltergeist (Remake).

Ah, I thought you meant you were rewatching it again. AS a whole, its pretty crappy, but Currys performance is iconic.

This one is rated R? Really ? I thought it was going to be extremely watered down and lame...hoping it's actually going to be hardcore

No, its gonna be hardcore. There was footage shown at comiccon and one of the scenes was:

Mike Hanlon being beat up by Bowers and the gang. They hold is head down and in his line of sight he sees Pennywise watching them while he's eating a childs bloody, severed arm. Then he looks at Mike, and waves at him using the dead kids hand.

I apologize ahead of time for my ignorance in regards to this movie.

I believe i read or saw a video stating that this version of Pennywise has more of a demonic/visual role throughout the film, and less of a speaking role.

I can respect that knowing it's a reboot of the series, but if that's true it takes away from the original charm.

I apologize ahead of time for my ignorance in regards to this movie.

I believe i read or saw a video stating that this version of Pennywise has more of a demonic/visual role throughout the film, and less of a speaking role.

I can respect that knowing it's a reboot of the series, but if that's true it takes away from the original charm.

They're damned if they do, damned if they don't in regards to Pennywise. Do a different take and it's not as good as the original. Play it similar and Curry was better. No getting around it, it's a legendary performance in an otherwise forgettable tv miniseries.

I wager they'll use a more cinematic approach (Duh) and concentrate on how he looks as much as anything else. While I think in pics and stills his look is a bit underwhelming, it looks better in trailers. Seems like they won't show him for long periods like they did with Curry, so they have to use a design aesthetic that makes a big impact in a short frame of time.

Ah, I thought you meant you were rewatching it again. AS a whole, its pretty crappy, but Currys performance is iconic.

I think I saw a few bits a pieces before but never the whole thing.

The first half was better than the second half. The ending was super, super lame. Who knew a slingshot and uppercuts could defeat a cosmic mulitversal being.

The clown was creepy but the spider was definitely not. I hated the ending. It was super anticlimactic. As far as Part 1 goes, I didn't get the whole inhaler thing being able to hurt the clown. It's an inhaler. WTF.

I think this will turn out well. The only thing I'm concerned about is the voice of Pennywise, that could really hurt the movie if not done well.

this pennywise looks like it came out of a bad manga.
thoroughly inferior to curry's.

They had a preview that was just the iconic SS Georgie scene before Annabelle:Creation. Even though it basically was an identical cut of the 1990 movie visually it looked great...the voice of Pennywise though didn't fit and seemed off? It was distracting and borderline annoying.

This is the video. "The storm bleeeew me away......"

Since becoming a dad I'm such a puss when it comes to horror movies with kids in :(
Makes my mind wander too much

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back