IT Movie (First Critics Reactions Online)

Status
Not open for further replies.
They may just mention certain victims, that had detailed accounts in the book, in passing in the movie. Maybe the Sheriff will mention to someone the fucked situation involving the Corcoran family and briefly summarize the story about the gay guy, Adrian.
That's mostly likely what's going to happen. Also, hopefully, they will expand more on IT and its origins. Mention the macroverse and the Turtle. Maybe sprinkle in ITs point of view like it did in the book but that is asking a bit much.

They may just mention certain victims, that had detailed accounts in the book, in passing in the movie. Maybe the Sheriff will mention to someone the fucked situation involving the Corcoran family and briefly summarize the story about the gay guy, Adrian.

I feel like that pretty much has to happen. Even with two movies, theres an immense amount of material that will just have to either be cut out or truncated.

Also, I feel like we're really delving into spoiler territory and should use the spoiler tags when discussing book details.

Looks very promising mostly because these kids can act.

I'm still not 100% sold on Pennywise. He looks good in this trailer, but I definitely always perceived him as a grown man. The fact that he's essentially a kid is throwing me still. If he acts well it should be ok.

What do you mean the fact that he is essentially a kid?

It seems Bill Skaarsgard is 26; I thought he was much younger. He looks like a kid to me.

Yea I was reading up on that. Apparently they are focusing on a younger incarnation of It. The entity known as It the clown is millions of years old, not from planet Earth, and not a clown, and not a spider either. The spider is just another one of the shapes it takes. It can take any shape, he could be an adult, a child, a spider, a clown, a dog, whatever he chooses. He often takes the shape of a clown or a spider but that isn't his true form.

I guess what I'm saying is that its alright that Skaarsgard looks young because it doesn't conflict with the story. It can be anything, use telekinesis, manipulate the world around him, use hypnosis, read minds, you name it, he is a god villain. So at least there is that, a younger actor is playing It but it doesn't conflict with his abilities or the story at all. Apparently he arrived on Earth before humans were even here then he hibernated for maybe millions of years until humans appeared then he wakes up every 30 years to feed on mostly children.

The book has a huge amount of detail and I'm considering another marathon read of that 1100 page behemoth before Sept. 8th when the movie releases.

[
Yea I was reading up on that. Apparently they are focusing on a younger incarnation of It. The entity known as It the clown is millions of years old, not from planet Earth, and not a clown, and not a spider either. The spider is just another one of the shapes it takes. It can take any shape, he could be an adult, a child, a spider, a clown, a dog, whatever he chooses. He often takes the shape of a clown or a spider but that isn't his true form.

I guess what I'm saying is that its alright that Skaarsgard looks young because it doesn't conflict with the story. It can be anything, use telekinesis, manipulate the world around him, use hypnosis, read minds, you name it, he is a god villain. So at least there is that, a younger actor is playing It but it doesn't conflict with his abilities or the story at all. Apparently he arrived on Earth before humans were even here then he hibernated for maybe millions of years until humans appeared then he wakes up every 30 years to feed on mostly children.

The book has a huge amount of detail and I'm considering another marathon read of that 1100 page behemoth before Sept. 8th when the movie releases.
And with all that hype...

...he still loses to a bunch of kids, twice. I don't care if there was a higher force working on the kids' side. That is fucking embarrassing.

I read the book as well. It's just that Pennywise is his "primary" figure in the story and he was a grown man in that form. Not a big deal, just odd to me to see what appears to be a much younger Pennywise in this.

I'm very curious how they address the spider form in this. Also really hoping to see the ritual of chud.

[
And with all that hype...

...he still loses to a bunch of kids, twice. I don't care if there was a higher force working on the kids' side. That is fucking embarrassing.

Well he was undefeated for many years. It's not his fault stut-stut-stuttering bill is intergalactic goat.

I'm also puzzled and intrigued as to how he's portrayed at the end, the infamous spider scene. That looked fucking ridiculous back then (and I loved IT) and I don't know how they can expect it to be well received....but then, would it be doing the book an injustice if they changed his form? I haven't read the book, so I don't know.

I'm also puzzled and intrigued as to how he's portrayed at the end, the infamous spider scene. That looked fucking ridiculous back then (and I loved IT) and I don't know how they can expect it to be well received....but then, would it be doing the book an injustice if they changed his form? I haven't read the book, so I don't know.
In the book..

They do in fact face off with a giant pregnant spider. Apparently, IT's true form cannot be comprehended by the human mind and the giant spider is the closest the human mind will get to it's true form

In the book..

They do in fact face off with a giant pregnant spider. Apparently, IT's true form cannot be comprehended by the human mind and the giant spider is the closest the human mind will get to it's true form

Cheers man, I get that

Never saw or read "IT".

Can't wait!

In the book..

Yea there is some sort of connection with IT, where he comes from, and the Stephen King universe. I heard somewhere, for example, that IT has a connection to The Dead Zone and to other books as well.

Found this pretty neat read for anyone interested. Great read about connections in the Stephen King universe.

George R. R. Martin’s got nothing on Stephen King. Sure, the world Martin created for the back-stabbing inhabitants of A Song of Ice and Fire is meticulous, but it’s not the tightly woven domain King has hinted at throughout some 50 novels. He’s spawned an intricate universe where characters reference events from his other books like they’re trading gossip about an old school friend and consequences that unfold from seemingly insignificant events ripple outward throughout his King-dom. (Get it?!) These winks to the reader make possible that knowing moment between author and audience, a moment King seems to revel in offering his die-hard fans.

Castle Rock is an imaginary town in Maine which serves as the setting for a ton of supernatural incidents. Cujo, The Dead Zone, The Body, The Dark Half, Needful Things, Bag of Bones and Lisey’s Story all originate here. Dreamcatcher and Insomnia are both situated in Derry, the second most-commonly referenced town borne from King’s imagination. This unsuspecting burgh also harboured one of his most notorious villains: Pennywise the Clown.

While the return of a pair of swingin’ youngsters was undoubtedly met with glee from King’s long-time fans (whom he calls his “constant reader”), there’s also another entity that continues to appear, an organisation shrouded in mystery which has lurked in the background for too long. The Shop has served as King’s go-to shady government sector. Plots develop from their interference in spooky matters. In The Tommyknockers (set in the fictional Haven, also home to The Colorado Kid), The Shop takes control of aliens. It is responsible for the Arrowhead Project, the monster-inciting incident from The Mist. Poor Charlie McGee’s experiments are conducted by The Shop in Firestarter. Bob Jenkins in The Langoliers throws The Shop’s name into the hat as the time-displaced characters attempt to solve the mystery of their situation.

Full article here: http://airshipdaily.com/blog/08122014-stephen-kings-universe

I love when authors do the "shared universe" thing (usually).

Simon R. Green does this, as well (he's my favorite living author, and 2nd favorite all-time).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back