It gets frustrating that so few people care about their job

People work harder when they make a creative connection to the work they do, and that is a hard connection to make when you're more or less a cog in the machine.

Not saying if that is right or wrong or making any moral judgment, it's just an observation.

I also think people do not believe it will be any better anywhere else and instead choose to try and find meaning in their lives through either hedonism, relationships or religion

It boils down to a lack of motivation for most jobs. Motivation can come from many different places: Pay, work environment, areas of interest, sense of pride etc.

There's a case study that a lot of MBA's go through involving the NUMMI auto plant. Toyota and Chevy did a joint venture to produce cars in the 90's. Toyota created a great working environment, and gave a lot of the workers more input while Chevy chose automation. Toyota was able to get more production out of it's workers and outproduce Chevy because it created a great working environment where people felt valued.

Edit: They took former Union workers and rehired them as hourly. If I remember correctly, they also gave the workers a lot of authority in choosing who to be the managers.

the threadstarter shouldn't care, unless their performance directly affects him.

I work in Mortgage Sales for a major bank.

I’m the top performer in my department but out of the 50 employees in my district, maybe 3 people other than myself really try their best to earn money and do well for the customers.

Everyone else just does the bare minimum to not get fired with no cares towards their future.

Whenever I’m out trying to shop and buy products from sales people. It’s so rare that anyone has any enthusiasm or interest to close deals, make sales; make money and further their future.

It’s like a bunch of lifeless zombies everywhere punching the clock.

On a minimum wage job I kinda get it, but surely commissioned sales people should be out there enthusiastically selling.

One of these guys I know is a 24 year old Pakistani who works a terrible shitty job selling air conditioners door to door.

This hero sold 500 air conditioners knocking on doors in 2017 and earned over $300,000.00.

Where the spirit of the American dream that guys like this have?

Why don't you try doing something productive with your life?

I work in Mortgage Sales for a major bank.

I’m the top performer in my department but out of the 50 employees in my district, maybe 3 people other than myself really try their best to earn money and do well for the customers.

Everyone else just does the bare minimum to not get fired with no cares towards their future.

Whenever I’m out trying to shop and buy products from sales people. It’s so rare that anyone has any enthusiasm or interest to close deals, make sales; make money and further their future.

It’s like a bunch of lifeless zombies everywhere punching the clock.

On a minimum wage job I kinda get it, but surely commissioned sales people should be out there enthusiastically selling.

One of these guys I know is a 24 year old Pakistani who works a terrible shitty job selling air conditioners door to door.

This hero sold 500 air conditioners knocking on doors in 2017 and earned over $300,000.00.

Where the spirit of the American dream that guys like this have?

Office-Space.jpg

Why don't you try doing something productive with your life?

Isn’t that what I’m doing?

I’m trying to buy a second condo by May while I practice guitar, stay in shape and date girls.

What could be more productive than career, fitness, music and dating?

Isn’t that what I’m doing?

I’m trying to buy a second condo by May while I practice guitar, stay in shape and date girls.

What could be more productive than career, fitness, music and dating?
Whatever floats your boat.

Personally, I'd kill myself if I had to work in mortgage sales. The world has enough parasites.

Lol, TS....You think its bad on the civilian side? The Government side is way shittier.....

Now that I fully transitioned into a government civilian job...Nothing I experienced in active duty could prepare me for the shitbags that I deal with at my job. At least on the active duty side, no matter how crappy my unit was, the enlistees that I worked with had a single fiber of work ethic to get shit done.

why are you upset? if they’re lazy then it makes you look better.

this is like the best job situation to be surrounded by underachievers.
Wrong. It is often that the underachievers are the ones doing enough ass kissing and throwing others under the bus that they get a lighter load and have more opportunities at advancement than those who are busting their ass at work.

Whatever floats your boat.

Personally, I'd kill myself if I had to work in mortgage sales. The world has enough parasites.

Maybe it’s not the most moral business in the world but it’s a living, right?

There’s much worse people in the world than money lenders.

One of the more common things I hear is "Why be loyal to my employer, they don't care about me. If you aren't changing jobs every 3-4 years for the pay raise you're doing it wrong." Meanwhile, the same person the next day will be bitching that their employer treats them like an expendable resource. Well no shit, you're a fucking job hopper. They know you're not in it for the long haul, why should they care? Their complete inability to connect the dots on the subject is infuriating.

It's extremely common. You see incompetent shits screwing something up all the time, even with the combined forces of three of them together.

Lol, TS....You think its bad on the civilian side? The Government side is way shittier.....

Now that I fully transitioned into a government civilian job...Nothing I experienced in active duty could prepare me for the shitbags that I deal with at my job. At least on the active duty side, no matter how crappy my unit was, the enlistees that I worked with had a single fiber of work ethic to get shit done.
Can confirm government or state workers are lazy as fuck. Its so hard to get fired and no one gives a shit so nothing goes anywhere. I work for a sub company of the la county hospitals and I am amazed how many people do almost nothing and have been for 20+ years. As long as you stick it out and get senority, you can pretty much do whatever you like.

One example, since the 1st of the year I have called out 15 times. They dont give 2 shits and give lots of paid time off. Sorry id rather get paid to stay home and play guitar, stop giving me 15 hours of vacation every month.

Overwhelming vast majority of people will only look at their job as a way to get by. People who clock in at 9 and are already looking forward to 5... what do you expect?

I used to have the same frustrations as you, but then I retired and now I just smoke weed everyday and watch netflix\play games.

Wrong. It is often that the underachievers are the ones doing enough ass kissing and throwing others under the bus that they get a lighter load and have more opportunities at advancement than those who are busting their ass at work.
you better start kissing ass then lol

This . I don’t think people should be lazy or sleeping on the job and should prob take pride in their work as it is a reflection on them in a way , but ....going extra mile ? Thinking the company gives a fuck about u ? Please . Like u said . People are a dime a dozen and soon robots will do /AI will do a lot of peeps jobs . Already happening .

I went to Mcdonald's and BOOM! Food ordering kiosks.

I'm a former government worker. My workplace was so bad that you could literally fire 90% of the employees and the remaining ones would have maybe 2 hours worth of actual work every day. Yet somehow, most of the useless shitbags still couldn't get their work done. There's maybe 10-15 minutes worth of work and we had an 8 hour shift, apparently this is too hard for those lazy unionized fuckfaces.

Back