issue with checking legkicks

RR010V

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I have an issue with checking legkicks, This is because I also train boxing and when I do MMA my legs just get destroyed. I know this is because of my boxing stance but how do I practice both sports? Are there any excersices that I can do at home to get better at checking legkicks? My shadowboxing doesnt include kicks at the moment. would shadowboxing with kicks help my boxing while also helping me check kicks?

I have an issue with checking legkicks, This is because I also train boxing and when I do MMA my legs just get destroyed. I know this is because of my boxing stance but how do I practice both sports? Are there any excersices that I can do at home to get better at checking legkicks? My shadowboxing doesnt include kicks at the moment. would shadowboxing with kicks help my boxing while also helping me check kicks?
If you feel you can't get your checks in time due to your stance maybe being too forward heavy and wide, distribute your weight 50-50 instead of 80-20 forward

You'd also look at your opponent's chest to see movement, and time/predict based on it. Its MMA so dutch combinations are fairly common, expect a leg (or any kick) to come after 2-3 punches.

You'll also find you'll use multiple stances in sparring/fighting, not just one, and it will also be determined based on your opponent as well. If you face a wrestling takedown machine, you'll want to have it more front-heavy; Compared to a guy with a long history of a striking background where you'll keep the stance a bit more 50-50 or traditional Thai, or your leg will get destroyed.

Work on it with shadow boxing, you probably already know this, but SB its not just for offense, you need to work your defense, and footwork in SB as well. I'd even say its more important for the latter.

Do alot of partner drills for checking, this is something pad and bagwork can't really address as well.

Another reason is that you're probably not used to it, when I first started sparring and camp, after eating about 5 leg kicks in sparring, I was out for a week and walking was extremely difficult. My sparring had to be boxing-based since my leg was gone, and even then it was a bitch to do. These days its fine, after a hard sparring session where I eat about 3-5, I'm fine the next day.

Cheers

Just gonna point out that checking isn't the only, or even the best, method of defending low kicks. Depending on the situation you may be better off catching the kick, pulling your leg back to avoid it or stepping in to smother it. In MMA by far the easiest way to get on top is to time a low kick and hit a modified knee tap. GSP did this to everyone.

Just gonna point out that checking isn't the only, or even the best, method of defending low kicks. Depending on the situation you may be better off catching the kick, pulling your leg back to avoid it or stepping in to smother it. In MMA by far the easiest way to get on top is to time a low kick and hit a modified knee tap. GSP did this to everyone.

100% this. Checking a kick is imo like blocking a punch, it's something you would only want to resort to because you didn't time an actually proper response to it that time. Being stationary on one leg is something any leg kicker with some depth to the skill is going to take advantage of with any number of setups, and checking also relies on having tougher shins at the time of the fight than the other guy. Not to mention the payoff being less clean and decisive than if you time a dodge/catch/takedown/punch/teep, unless you break the guy's leg. I view checking more as a psychological deterrent than an effective response against an experienced kicker.

Put shinpads on, pair up with someone and practice checking their lowkicks (mixed with punches).

Take Muay Thai classes...

shadow leg check. Stand in your muay thai stance or even a wide horizontal stance and start lifting the legs up as if to check. Do 50 for each leg then 50 alternating. Do this everyday. It's a great work out. I had problem lifting my legs too. After doing shadow leg checks, I was surprised at how fast I was able to bring my leg up for a check. Your welcome!!

If you feel you can't get your checks in time due to your stance maybe being too forward heavy and wide, distribute your weight 50-50 instead of 80-20 forward

You'd also look at your opponent's chest to see movement, and time/predict based on it. Its MMA so dutch combinations are fairly common, expect a leg (or any kick) to come after 2-3 punches.

You'll also find you'll use multiple stances in sparring/fighting, not just one, and it will also be determined based on your opponent as well. If you face a wrestling takedown machine, you'll want to have it more front-heavy; Compared to a guy with a long history of a striking background where you'll keep the stance a bit more 50-50 or traditional Thai, or your leg will get destroyed.

Work on it with shadow boxing, you probably already know this, but SB its not just for offense, you need to work your defense, and footwork in SB as well. I'd even say its more important for the latter.

Do alot of partner drills for checking, this is something pad and bagwork can't really address as well.

Another reason is that you're probably not used to it, when I first started sparring and camp, after eating about 5 leg kicks in sparring, I was out for a week and walking was extremely difficult. My sparring had to be boxing-based since my leg was gone, and even then it was a bitch to do. These days its fine, after a hard sparring session where I eat about 3-5, I'm fine the next day.

Cheers

What he said. Incorporate checking (catches, fades, etc) into your shadowboxing.

If you have strength issues with the hip flexor, try holding a check position with your leg in the air for as long as you can...good for endurance and balance.

Back