Israel Adesanya: I can beat Robert Whittaker "wherever I want"

Israel is essentially a lighter Jon Jones and I see him doing whatever he wants in any weight class and only getting better with each fight. #goatwatch

I think Israel knows that Whittaker is his best match-up for the top-5 which is why he's trying so hard to bypass the other fighters in the top-5 for a title shot.

Make this kid earn it, there just happens to be a spot on that main event for the first ESPN+1 card vs none other than Yoel Romero. Israel is blabbering non-stop that he's the best MW, time to go fucking prove it kid. Beating Brunson does not qualify anyone for a title shot.
I don't know why you guys keep posting this when he's said he's already agreed to a potential #1 contender fight, he's now waiting for the other side to accept.

Damn skippy. Adesanya going to the top.

See my post above. Israel has already earned his shot. If they choose to make him fight one more bout in the cage it will be just to showcase and keep him busy. Title shots are earned inside AND outside of the octagon and Israel is selling himself well.
Think we have a very different definition of earned. You're basically suggesting he's earned it because he's marketable not because of anything he's done in the ring. Based purely on who he's beaten in the ring the most biased Israel fan couldn't make a credible argument why he should get the next title shot.

Sure financially you're right it makes the most sense but re Israel getting a ts shot next would simply be matter of luck owing both to the Reaper's ethnicity so you could make decent PPV numbers with an Australian vs New Zealander and the fact that he's already beaten Romero and Jacare so there are few other new contenders outside of Israel and Costa. Seems to be a lot of external factors not of Adesanya's making.

Basically you're using the Conor McGregor argument and how he was gifted a LW shot. The difference being their was actual evidence of Conor's PPV numbers doing exceptionally well. Adesanya is at this stage unproven at a PPV level which suggests even more he needs to headline a PPV or co-main one to test his interest with casuals who provide the bulk of the UFC's PPV numbers.
But I'll concede this being the UFC and all, despite others being more deserving of the next shot;

DeserveNothing.gif

Not even Romero could do it, and this twig with good striking but questionable everything else is gonna do it? I don’t see it

Israel looks to be the real deal but he hasn’t beaten the likes of Romero and Jacare. I think those guys beat Israel.

Of the three, Israel’s best chance to be champion is against Whittaker though.
I keep seeing the “he hasn’t fought top contenders yet”.

Silva took out Franklin after beating Leban, Cody schooled Cruz, Jones Molested Rua, heck even Conor took it to Mendez and Aldo..

I think he finished Jacare easiest, Kelvin and Bobby are a bit harder due to their aggressive striking and Kelvin has great wrestling

Let him keep under estimating Bobby lol.

Dude its insane. I'm a bigger fan of Romero n was hoping he'd pull it out (i had it a draw tbh not Yoel winning) but thats all that ppl remember in that fight. They dont recall how well Robert did himself n how good he is. He's a very well rounded fighter with power, cardio, and heart for days. Israel needs to take on a top 5 guy before saying he'd make short work of him.

Kinda agree, would be a rather easy fight for Iz.

No one needs to be afraid of this guy, he’s not Romero...
He’s a flashy fighter with a big mouth. I think it’s hilarious this guy got KO’d stiff last March and thinks he can beat Whittaker, the current UFC MW champ because he beat Derek Brunson.

<36>

See above for explanation
If Whittaker takes him down and GnP he will probably win but on the feet i see Whittaker losing. Israel is a diffrent level striker and just because you got KOed in kickboxing by a equally good striker does not mean this will happen in MMA because he is far better at this acpect of the game and he also improved very fast on TDD and getting up correct with minimal effort i see him giving who ever is champ big problems.
Why people hate on him i can not understand he is basicly a clean Jon Jones sure he is coocky just as Jones but he can also back it up so he has the right to. His hands and kicks are better than Jones but worse in the grapling/wrestling which is dangerous in MMA yes but i think he will learn that to pretty fast as he is a very intelligent fighter you can tell by his style.

Unbeaten in four UFC appearances, the 29-year-old hinted that a fifth straight win would catapult him into a title fight against whoever holds the belt after UFC 234 — set to be headlined by Whittaker and American Kelvin Gastelum in Melbourne.

And if Australia’s No.1 fighter successfully defends for a second time?

“Then I beat him wherever I want,” Adesanya shrugged. “If I’m being frank, Rob is lacking defensively and that’s where I’ll take him. And I can do that any way I want.

“I know he’s a fighter who wants to go out there and bust people up, but I’m not a guy you mess with. And once I’m champion, there will be a lot more eyes on this division. I’m the guy making s… happen.”

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2018/11...rael-adesanya-robert-whittaker-champion-fight
---------------------------------------
Wouldn't mind seeing that fight. Would rather see Adesanya vs. Borrachinha for the title too as apposed to right now.

Israel looked like he started the Jon Jones diet recently, he probably looks like Bob Sapp now

No one needs to be afraid of this guy, he’s not Romero...
He’s a flashy fighter with a big mouth. I think it’s hilarious this guy got KO’d stiff last March and thinks he can beat Whittaker, the current UFC MW champ because he beat Derek Brunson.

<36>

See above for explanation

Can you list up a high level kickboxer under modern k1 / glory style rules who have not been knocked out?

Saki, lebanner, hoost, badr hari, overeem, spong, bonjasky... Ect ect

Its a part of the game in that sport.

I like Israel but he wants no part of Romero.

Romero is the most dangerous man in mma.

Israel is essentially a lighter Jon Jones and I see him doing whatever he wants in any weight class and only getting better with each fight. #goatwatch
You could may well be proven right but mate way to early to suggest he's on a Jon Jones level of talent let alone talk about him being goat worthy. Only reason Jon Jones isn't out of sight as one of if not the best mixed martial artist ever is cos he gets in his own way.

I hear you but man he fucking handled Brunson and Brunson has been in there with all the top guys.
And been handled by all of them too. I was more impressed by Israel's tdd defence than anything else. Brunson's a sloppy fighter with little technique. Only reason I'm not even more impressed with his TDD defence is Brunson get going for the same takedown with virtually no set up over and over again. Be interesting to have seen if he had any success with some variety, or at least tried for a single leg or something.

Unbeaten in four UFC appearances, the 29-year-old hinted that a fifth straight win would catapult him into a title fight against whoever holds the belt after UFC 234 — set to be headlined by Whittaker and American Kelvin Gastelum in Melbourne.

And if Australia’s No.1 fighter successfully defends for a second time?

“Then I beat him wherever I want,” Adesanya shrugged. “If I’m being frank, Rob is lacking defensively and that’s where I’ll take him. And I can do that any way I want.

“I know he’s a fighter who wants to go out there and bust people up, but I’m not a guy you mess with. And once I’m champion, there will be a lot more eyes on this division. I’m the guy making s… happen.”

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2018/11...rael-adesanya-robert-whittaker-champion-fight
---------------------------------------
Wouldn't mind seeing that fight. Would rather see Adesanya vs. Borrachinha for the title too as apposed to right now.

Izzy had Robert pegged from Miles away. Rob was never going to win

LMAO at all these geniuses

<36>

No you can't.

Let him keep under estimating Bobby lol.

This guy struggled badly with some random Italian guy.

Whittaker and Romero would both brutalise him.

He's so scrawny just blast him with body shots all night and he'll go down..

Gonna shock people when Whittaker starches Stylebender

LMAO
This Guy struggle to get a Split decision over an Italian somebody and suddently he thinks that he´s the real deal, feed him to Romero or Jacare

Feed him to Romero
Adam then Jacare

People Underestimating Robert Whittaker again.

Id bet Whittaker beats him on points in the striking department

I think he would take out Whittaker. Borrachinha would erase him though.

This guy really thinks its that sweet. Dana please feed him to Romero and make it quick

And yet he doesn't call out Romero who is waiting for an opponent o_O

Except in the octagon.

Adesanya wouldn't get past Costa, Romero nor Whittaker.

Whittaker would flog Israel. He's a far better striker and he can clinch it up and dirty box if he wants to, take it to the ground even.

I feel like Whittaker would do to Israel what he did to Uriah Hall and win that way.

Anyway, we don't need another mouthy cunt jumping the line, do we?

lol Bob survived Yoel twice ffs, if that's not indicative of anything?? Well just get in the cage with him then. I'm afraid all the bling, gangsta rap and ebonics won't save you on that night.

Israel has a lot of potential but at this point in both their careers Whittaker beats him pretty easily

"I can beat him wherever I want"

So, if Adesanya loses, does that mean he didn't want to beat him?

Sound advice.

Back