Islamist militants storm school in southern Philippines, take students hostage

loyalyolayal

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
MANILA (Reuters) - Pro-Islamic State militants stormed a school in the southern Philippines early on Wednesday and are holding several students hostage, police said, on the same island where fighting between government troops and Islamists has entered its fifth week.

A police report said about 300 armed men, among them members of the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF), stormed a school in Pigcawayan town in North Cotabato province on Mindanao island and were holding some students captive. (For a graphic map of the region click: http://reut.rs/2sRQNAF)

Members of the BIFF were engaged in a gunbattle with the military, Chief Inspector Realan Mamon, the police chief at Pigcawayan, said in a radio interview.

"We can confirm that they occupied a school and there were civilians trapped. We are in the process of determining how many were trapped and their identities," Mamon said.

Part & parcel, right? But then...

Philippines military says hostage drama resolved
MANILA (Reuters) - A hostage drama that unfolded at a primary school in the southern Philippines on Wednesday has been resolved, a military spokesman said, and the Islamist militants who had held people captive had withdrawn with no reports of casualties.

"It's already resolved," Brigadier General Restituto Padilla told reporters. "They've withdrawn, they are no longer there. The school area is again safe."

However, Padilla also said the military was investigating whether five civilians were still being held by the militants. He said no children had been taken hostage.

Earlier, a spokesman for the militant group said they had taken civilians to a safe place after a gunfight erupted with troops and did not intend to hold them.

Read more at http://www.thestar.com.my/news/worl...hern-philippines--police/#SF2ZsVeJoC3mA8CV.99
They just up & leave?

300 armed Islamic rebels.

Left.

With no casualties.

Were they doing live fire exercise?

Reminds me of that time that 300 armed Christians went into a school and held children hostage.

They just up & leave?

Left.

With no casualties.

They just got wind of Katy Perry's plea of "like, co-existing" and left

crazy how this stuff happens outside of the middle east nowadays.

Islam, not even once

2zl3pivsp8jx.png

Reminds me of that time that 300 armed Christians went into a school and held children hostage.

Not to suggest Christianity is anywhere on par with Islamic violence, but in Rwanda during the genocide, priests were rounding up children in the guise of sanctuary, only to turn them over to the death squads....

they arent real muslims

im not a muslim, and i havent talked to any of these peoples but celebrities told me that islam is only peace and friendliness so that means these people cant represent islam

i dont care what they say, i know their own intentions better than they do

Sooner of later, you knew they were going to take a school filled with kids and use as hostages.

AmeriKKKA where I can't walk the streets as a middle eastern man without guys in templar great helms riding me down.

It's a religious problem, but bigots try to twist it into an Islam/globalism problem.

Sooner of later, you knew they were going to take a school filled with kids and use as hostages.
Next time, read the actual OP instead of just the title
However, Padilla also said the military was investigating whether five civilians were still being held by the militants. He said no children had been taken hostage.
That probably goes for most of the other posters ITT who don't seem to have read the part about them just leaving the school with no casualties and just popped in to shit out their standard lines. Why they would occupy a school only to leave without taking any hostages there is beyond me. Maybe they didn't plan on occupying the school and were fleeing the military or perhaps there was an under the table negotiation that the military had that resolved things.

But the fact that this Brigadier General is using the vague word "resolve" without specifying how makes me suspicious that maybe there's some corruption and collusion involved between the militants and the military. Hey @ShinkanPo, any idea wtf might've happened here?

Next time, read the actual OP instead of just the title

That probably goes for most of the other posters ITT who don't seem to have read the part about them just leaving the school with no casualties and just popped in to shit out their standard lines. Why they would occupy a school only to leave without taking any hostages there is beyond me. Maybe they didn't plan on occupying the school and were fleeing the military or perhaps there was an under the table negotiation that the military had that resolved things.

But the fact that this Brigadier General is using the vague word "resolve" without specifying how makes me suspicious that maybe there's some corruption and collusion involved between the militants and the military. Hey @ShinkanPo, any idea wtf might've happened here?

I am not aware of this so what happened? The whole situation in southern Philippines has been going on since the 70s I wont be surprised if certain Military officials and local politicians are arming and funding these militants to destabilize the region for different political reasons.

They just up & leave?

Left.

With no casualties.

Remember Lamitan? And that businessman who was taken hostage but was set free by the Abu Salsal group?

And the Military denied that they negotiated and paid ransom but was caught by the media carrying a briefcase field with cash near the battlezone. Then the AbuSalsal group was able to walk away just like that.

crazy how this stuff happens outside of the middle east nowadays.
Well the mighty Philippine Airforce should stop bombing the Middle east.

Filipin foreign policy and exploitation of Saudi Arabia caused the Muslems to get mad so they decide to put a bomb in the Metro in Manila back in 01.

Well the mighty Philippine Airforce should stop bombing the Middle east.

Filipin foreign policy and exploitation of Saudi Arabia caused the Muslems to get mad so they decide to put a bomb in the Metro in Manila back in 01.
are muslims justified in attacking all the other countries they attack too?

are muslims justified in attacking all the other countries they attack too?

Like what countries? Sweden?

Its Philippine Imperialism that has triggered ISIS in Syria and now they want payback if you don't meddle in the middle east Terror bombings will be reduced!!

The Philippines should stop invading middle eastern countries!!

they arent real muslims

im not a muslim, and i havent talked to any of these peoples but celebrities told me that islam is only peace and friendliness so that means these people cant represent islam

i dont care what they say, i know their own intentions better than they do

And it doesn't matter if they have suicide videos where they tell us what their grievances are, and obsess over Quranic escatology.

I hate that, these terrorists tell us what they believe, why their beliefs compel them to violence, and what they think the reward for that violence is, and we go "Well, what could it be? Why would someone load their pockets up with ball bearings and acid, and blow themselves up?"

Honest question. If that happened here would that be a game changer? Obviously it wouldn't be 300.

Let's say 15 jihadis do so and actually take 20 children hostage.

Back