Islamic State Thread v6: Kurdistan Rising Edition

Zankou

Bringing peace and love
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Turkey is now reported to have opened its borders to Kurd militants trying to cross over into Kobani.

Guess the horrendous press finally broke them down.

I don't know if it was the press or if it was the US airdropping supplies to the YPG. I mean nothing says "Fuck you bitch, who said we needed your punkass anyway" like C-130s dropping loads; pallets landing like splooge on Erdogan's face.

After that kind of dicking, I'm sure Erdo knew that he would have to change his tune.

I think when the US went all Berlin airlift on them they realized they lacked the leverage of getting a guaranteed attack against Assad in exchange for cooperation with the Kurds.

My favorite line regarding this whole airlift thing is that the US says they were just "transferring" supplies to the YPG donated by the KRG in Iraq.

Yeah, supplies made in the USA:

B0Zf-jNIMAMN_xG.jpg
B0Zf97RIcAEVDbk.jpg

I don't know if it was the press or if it was the US airdropping supplies to the YPG. I mean nothing says "Fuck you bitch, who said we needed your punkass anyway" like C-130s dropping loads; pallets landing like splooge on Erdogan's face.

After that kind of dicking, I'm sure Erdo knew that he would have to change his tune.

It seems that probably broke the impasse
The turks could either go along with it like they had approved it all or look weak.

Turkey is now reported to have opened its borders to Kurd militants trying to cross over into Kobani.

Guess the horrendous press finally broke them down.

I think it might have just been a 'writing on the wall' type of scenario. At this point it seems pretty clear that not only is Kobani not going to fall to IS, but that the Kurds are going to recieve support and aid from other countries (like the US) whether Turkey wants it to happen or not. Since Turkey didn't get what they wanted (Kobani falling to IS, and I have to conclude that is what they wanted by their actions), they're going to make some late game concessions to try and re-gain some political capital.

I also think Turkey's gov't was genuinely taken aback by the depth of Kurdish outrage, and realized that of its two directions --- appeasing Kurdish sentiment or cracking down on the Kurds --- the former was the wiser longterm choice. Islamic State, ultimately, is incomparably more of a devil than the Kurds are, because Turkey will have to live with the Kurds longterm, and there is opportunity for alliance with them, while Islamic State are unmitigated monsters who cannot ever be controlled.

Appeasement is not always the best strategy, but in this scenario there has been too much groundwork for a sensible Kurdish reconciliation within Turkey to try to play 1915 politics again; it's impossible to control the media, and times have changed.

My favorite line regarding this whole airlift thing is that the US says they were just "transferring" supplies to the YPG donated by the KRG in Iraq.

Yeah, supplies made in the USA:

Its pretty clever, turkey has been able to stall this on the grounds that groups like the pkk are technicaly designated terrorists and enemies of a nato member so cant be armed, this shot that defence out of the water.

Long 'boo hoo' article in the LA Times about how Iraqi Sunni Arabs are finding that everybody in the region is now prejudiced against them, just because almost all of the Sunni Arabs happened to side with Islamic State and facilitate genocide against everybody else.

http://www.latimes.com/world/middleeast/la-fg-iraq-arabs-20141020-story.html

It's honestly incredible they are being treated as well as they are (particularly in the Middle East), given the shit they put everybody through.

While ISIS doesnt deserves anything but utter contempt are people really saying that these jihadis are cowardly and pussies?

I wonder how long people here would last in Kobani from either side of the conflict, and i doubt they are being herder soviet style.

They seem to be genuinely crazy, japanese WW2 mentality crazy.

The Kurds will become some sort of a Legend in the region.

This sort of thing are the stuff of legends that only belongs in the Movies, Chicks with guns fighting evil barbarians its like sort of Mad max type scenario.

I mean when was the last time a military with an all female battalion have been given this much attention.

This sort of thing are the stuff of legends that only belongs in the Movies, Chicks with guns fighting evil barbarians its like sort of Mad max type scenario.

I mean when was the last time a military with an all female battalion have been given this much attention.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arachidamia

Courage and loyalty are the two most overrated virtues in my book. Both tend to be possessed in superabundance by idiotic scum.

More love should be given to the Kurds for the fact that arguably the greatest Muslim military commander in history, respected and revered even by his defeated enemies, was a Kurd -- Saladin.

Interestingly Saladin was remembered and respected far more in the Christian West than in Muslim lands.

I think its destroyed any arguments about chicks serving in combat
The only time female fighters have covered themselves in this much glory is russia ww2

Last edited:

Lmao excellent and accurate description

I think when the US went all Berlin airlift on them they realized they lacked the leverage of getting a guaranteed attack against Assad in exchange for cooperation with the Kurds.

I think that is exactly it. they were using our empathy for the Kurds against us because they knew we couldn't do anything without their help.....but they were wrong. A-holes.

I was shocked as hell when I heard about the airlift. That was some bold shit right there.

I'm usually not a fan of US foreign policy but I have to give Obama admin props for completely bitchslapping Erdogan the way they did.

Back