Islam, Modesty and Feminism - Sarah Haider, Hiba Krisht & Ghadi

jeffk

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
This post is not intended to be about bashing Muslims. It is about how these 3 women who try to balance criticism of Islam and its culture without inspiring bigotry towards their own families and friends and how life is like being an Ex-muslim woman. They want normalize becoming an Ex-Muslim and normalize it being acceptable to be critical of Islam while not being bigoted towards Muslims as a people.

They support woman who are devout who wish to wear the hijab. However, they think many women are forced to wear it who do not want to wear it. And women are forced to do a lot of things that they don't want to do. They say women in fundamental homes are considered candy that must be wrapped up. If someone opens the wrapper and licks it, it will be ruined for others. Wearing a conservative clothing actually makes women seen as hypersexual. They are seen as something to be consumed.

In more fundamental households women are seen as temptresses and there is often distrust between men and women in the conservative Islamic world. If a man and a woman are a room together, they are not alone. The devil would join them. It makes it to difficult for men and women to have any conservations.

Hiba said that the idea of positionality - speaking from a X (an idea that is popular among some hard left college students) leads people to say I cannot speak out against say FGM because I come from a imperialist or colonial background, so I cannot say anything about this cultural issue because I don't want to impose my culture and values. So you get those sorts of folks ending up supporting or afraid to speak out against someone like Linda Sarsour. She might be someone who they see as a representative of someone with an authentic Islamic background and culture and they don't want to impose their values on her. So far left folks end up supporting conservative Muslims. Shit that is probably not clear.

I have a feeling these women will have a bounty on their heads.

Bruh, I ain't listening to two and a half hours of anything posted on Sherdog. At least you provided a summary.

Its pretty obvious at this point that many women in the Muslim world, if not most, do not choose to wear the hijab in the sense that the minority minority in the West do. If there aren't laws on the books requiring it the social pressure is strong enough on its own. In North America however I wonder what the breakdown is. I bet most women in NA choose to wear it with more pressured into it in Western Europe.

Bruh, I ain't listening to two and a half hours of anything posted on Sherdog. At least you provided a summary.

It is a long video. They cover a lot of ground and I did a shit job trying to sum it up. Thought someone here might get something out of it.

They talk about conditional love. Parents say I love if you if you do X. For example, wear the hijab.

They talk about the social pressure of a honor society. It isn't just you that is seen as a fuck up if you don't go along with the social norms. Your entire family reputation is up on the line. You can fuck up their social status by leaving the religion or not going along with the proper way to dress.

The one lady goes into a story about her parents asking why she is leaving and thought it must have been because she was a prostitute or because she was pregnant. They took her to someone who was supposed to check if she still was a virgin and were pleased to find out she was.

I had never heard Hiba talk before. She seems a little new to public speaking but she would fuck and then destroy many far left feminists today.

I don't think you can expect a feminist Muslim to instantly adopt radical feminist positions in the West. They're at the point where they're arguing in favour of being allowed to drive cars, instead of arguing against man-spreading in public traffic, or such things.

A feminist Muslim is going to come off much more modestly than a feminist Westerner. Otherwise they're probably getting booted out of the house. At the end of the day, most people, even people who live vicariously through an ideology, are only willing to go as far as is comfortable. Including Western feminists, if an actual "patriarchy" suddenly took charge.

At this moment, the comfort zone within which a Muslim woman can operate, is smaller than it is for a Western woman. But once allowed enough "free space", you'll get the same stuff amongst Muslim feminists, as you'll get over here.

Last edited:
I
They talk about conditional love. Parents say I love if you if you do X. For example, wear the hijab.

They talk about the social pressure of a honor society. It isn't just you that is seen as a fuck up if you don't go along with the social norms. Your entire family reputation is up on the line. You can fuck up their social status by leaving the religion or not going along with the proper way to dress.

I don't know how that is a bad thing. People need incentives. I'd be less than proud if I had a daughter that acted in a promiscuous manner. People wonder why Asians are the most successful group in the West. It is very simply. Asians understand all that unconditional love is hippy nonsense. I personally believe it is also only a luxury developed Western societies.

It is a women's best interest that her parent teach her to not give in to her baser impulses so she is able to be successful finding a husband and have a happy life. I don't agree with how the laws work in those Muslim countries but a family has a right and obligation to dictate morality to its children.

I watched part of the video and I did learn something. I had no idea women in Saudi Arabia could be educated. One of the speakers talks about how educated her mother was. So i looked it up. According to the statistics, Saudi women constitute 51.8 percent of Saudi university students. Who would have guessed.

Its pretty obvious at this point that many women in the Muslim world, if not most, do not choose to wear the hijab in the sense that the minority minority in the West do. If there aren't laws on the books requiring it the social pressure is strong enough on its own. In North America however I wonder what the breakdown is. I bet most women in NA choose to wear it with more pressured into it in Western Europe.
Good points!

When I grew up in one of the so-called no-go zones (a suburb to Stockholm), many Muslim women didn't wear a hijab but fast-forward 10-15 years and it's been a drastic change. You can have 25 Muslims (age 10-12) in one class in one area in Sweden were only one Muslim girl wears a hijab and in another area, 90% of the Muslim girls wear a hijab.

They are of the same background as well. It just goes to show how the normative pressure differs between different areas despite that the Muslim girls are coming from the same background, e.g. Syria, Iraq, Kosovo, Palestine.

They want normalize becoming an Ex-Muslim and normalize it being acceptable to be critical of Islam while not being bigoted towards Muslims as a people.[/MEDIA]
The only good muslims are ex-muslims. Hopefully their initiative will make more people leave the death-cult that is Islam.

Back