Shoop ***ISL SEASON 6 SHOOP CONTEST*** - Announcement and sign up INTERNATIONAL SHOOP LEAGUE

@Empty Emp

<45>

cVkOJQj.gif

This may help people in making gifs. I made this tutorial for a user tonight and added it to the the Official Sherdog Shoop Tutorial, Template, and Q&A Thread in post #5. Post #5 had an outdated tutorial and was replaced by this one. You guys get to hear my sexy voice. This is my second audio tutorial and I got the worlds worst mic.

2chuck-and-tito-dance.gif
Excellent tutorial. Your vocal instructions are very easy to follow & gives a lot more information in a shorter amount of time than the Charlie Chaplain silent film style. :D

It looked like the only difference between doing this with the frame by frame... compared to the video timeline... was that it's automatically making the head bigger from start to finish? or does it also smooth out the left & right movements? I know whenever I do frame by frame animation, it typically looks a bit "jumpier" than this. Does the video timeline smooth out all movements in between because it's a "smart object?"

Also, using " Mocha After Effects" autotracking function... would be a great way to do something like this too right?... especially if there were a lot more frames...

Excellent tutorial. Your vocal instructions are very easy to follow & gives a lot more information in a shorter amount of time than the Charlie Chaplain silent film style. :D

Hey you can't watch that. That's mine it was only for me ;) Russian hackers must have released this, it wasn't supposed to hit the public domain.

It really is an incredible tutorial though.

Hey you can't watch that. That's mine it was only for me ;) Russian hackers must have released this, it wasn't supposed to hit the public domain.

It really is an incredible tutorial though.
You owed me for sharing what @Brother Rider taught me about Morphogenic Kunk Fu. :cool:

iu

i-know-kung-fu.jpg

It looked like the only difference between doing this with the frame by frame... compared to the video timeline... was that it's automatically making the head bigger from start to finish? or does it also smooth out the left & right movements? I know whenever I do frame by frame animation, it typically looks a bit "jumpier" than this. Does the video timeline smooth out all movements in between because it's a "smart object?"

Also, using " Mocha After Effects" autotracking function... would be a great way to do something like this too right?... especially if there were a lot more frames...

You cannot "tween" a "transform" in frame animation, while in video timeline you can. In that video tutorial we started off with a head on frame 1 with a keyframe, then made a large head on frame 16 with a keyframe. Photoshop "tweened" the size changes. In frame animation you would have had to use *16* different heads and take a guess how big to make each size change. With video timeline, you use 1 smart object and PS makes the size changes automatically. For that gif, video timeline was much faster and smoother.

I made that tutorial because @Arqueto176 was having issues making a smooth transition on the size of Tito's head in this gif below.

wTfQFeC.gif

At times you can use just one head in frame animation, but you would need another head for every time you transform it. With video timeline, using a single head you can rotate it, skew it, resize it, apply layer styles (something I have never done with video timeline), make opacity changes such as a fade in/out, etc. Note that video timeline doesn't allow tweens for warps or distorts, while AE does.

Yea you could track that in Mocha and it would automatically do the size changes. Mocha tends to be "mostly" accurate but not perfect, although it can be. However, it's mostly good enough for Sherdog. And yea if there was a lot more movement, rotations, varying size changes, and a lot more frames then Mocha would have really shown its stuff.

As far as it smoothing out manual movement, I believe video timeline does. As you saw in that tutorial I am bouncing back and forth between two frame quite a lot to dial them in. It much easier to do this with one head rather than two separate heads. I can be on frame 2 and jiggle it 1px to the right, then bounce back to frame 1 and jiggle it 1px to the left and rotate it .08 degrees. It's just easier to do in video timeline.

I don't want to get into "why" it has to be a smart object, but I can explain it in our PM if you would like. All you need to know is that is HAS TO BE a smart object in order to tween transforms in the video timeline.

You cannot "tween" a "transform" in frame animation, while in video timeline you can. In that video tutorial we started off with a head on frame 1 with a keyframe, then made a large head on frame 16 with a keyframe. Photoshop "tweened" the size changes. In frame animation you would have had to use *16* different heads and take a guess how big to make each size change. With video timeline, you use 1 smart object and PS makes the size changes automatically. For that gif, video timeline was much faster and smoother.

I made that tutorial because @Arqueto176 was having issues making a smooth transition on the size of Tito's head in this gif below.

wTfQFeC.gif

At times you can use just one head in frame animation, but you would need another head for every time you transform it. With video timeline, using a single head you can rotate it, skew it, resize it, apply layer styles (something I have never done with video timeline), make opacity changes such as a fade in/out, etc. Note that video timeline doesn't allow tweens for warps or distorts, while AE does.

Yea you could track that in Mocha and it would automatically do the size changes. Mocha tends to be "mostly" accurate but not perfect, although it can be. However, it's mostly good enough for Sherdog. And yea if there was a lot more movement, rotations, varying size changes, and a lot more frames then Mocha would have really shown its stuff.

As far as it smoothing out manual movement, I believe video timeline does. As you saw in that tutorial I am bouncing back and forth between two frame quite a lot to dial them in. It much easier to do this with one head rather than two separate heads. I can be on frame 2 and jiggle it 1px to the right, then bounce back to frame 1 and jiggle it 1px to the left and rotate it .08 degrees. It's just easier to do in video timeline.

I don't want to get into "why" it has to be a smart object, but I can explain it in our PM if you would like. All you need to know is that is HAS TO BE a smart object in order to tween transforms in the video timeline.

Dropping knowledge, thanks brother.

I've watched that instructional a bunch of times and followed along with it re-creating GIFS I'd already made just to get the method down.
It's helped soooooooo much.

I also went ahead and tried to do it without the tutorial and messed it up a couple of times, I forgot to set the frames per second properly one time and forgot to change the image I was working with into a smart object another.

Following this video will help anybody interested in making GIFS so much, you should check it out.

Dropping knowledge, thanks brother.

I've watched that instructional a bunch of times and followed along with it re-creating GIFS I'd already made just to get the method down. It's helped soooooooo much. I also went ahead and tried to do it without the tutorial and messed it up a couple of times, I forgot to set the frames per second properly one time and forgot to change the image I was working with into a smart object another. Following this video will help anybody interested in making GIFS so much, you should check it out.

You'll master it soon. I have faith. It wasn't too long ago that I learned how to use the video timeline myself. I spent my first 6 months Photoshopping not knowing of the video timeline and using only frame animation. Then I moved exclusively to AE, so it wasn't something I even knew about.

FPS can be tricky. The timing on a gif doesn't always correlate to perfect FPS. For example a gif timed at .17 per frame would be 5.882352941176471 FPS. Can't say as I would know how to handle that perfectly. Would you put "5.882352941176471" in the FPS box or round it up to 6? Maybe you can Google it and find out.

It's always best to work from video sources anyways. If you do work from video use "file > open" and it will default to video timeline. If you use "file > import > video frames to layer" it will open it in frame animation.

Damn, the competition is kicking up a couple of notches!

Because it's taking me so long to work on shoops, I've started working on the UFC 231 shoop already. Of course if the wrong guy wins I'm gonna have to modify it....

Because it's taking me so long to work on shoops, I've started working on the UFC 231 shoop already. Of course if the wrong guy wins I'm gonna have to modify it....

I'm Spartacus.

I thought I better get an early start too if I'm going to get something half decent out. I only just started using Photoshop on Saturday. <45>
Was using GIMP before that.

I'm Spartacus.

I thought I better get an early start too if I'm going to get something half decent out. I only just started using Photoshop on Saturday. <45>
I'm still with gimp. I've invested enough time with gimp that I'm gonna stick with it, even though it takes me a while to do anything.... lol

I'm still with gimp. I've invested enough time with gimp that I'm gonna stick with it, even though it takes me a while to do anything.... lol

It's a great program and yeah, it takes a while to get things done but it works well, no doubt.

I'm really into making GIFs and PS is so much quicker for doing that. Nothing wrong with GIMP though. I was a bit sad to retire it.

giphy.gif

In PS ("CS6 Extended" and beyond) that really isn't that bad of a problem and can be solved in a few seconds or minutes at most. With Gimp it's a tragedy.

I'm Spartacus.

we're all gimps in our own way ;)

Back