Is your school truly special?

bjjpepperz

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I've been training for a little over a year now and noticed something recently...

I really love my school and instructors. But I have very little to compare them to.

I perceive their level of BJJ understanding to be truly "special"... and I'm wondering how true that really is?

For instance, the way they communicate and teach (almost) "invisible" application of techniques and using connection / leverage *without* strength etc

Do you feel the same way about your school? Like you would be missing out if you weren't training specifically where you are now?

Background:

This thinking came about because I found myself justifying *not* moving to a new state that I'm seriously interested in... instead choosing to stay where I am mainly because I feel my academy is irreplaceable and I wouldn't get as good instruction anywhere else.

Curious to hear your thoughts.

My suspicion (and hope) is that most people feel this way about their school and we are all just really in love with the art.

Not to say your school isn't special but maybe not as special as you FEEL like it is?

Last edited:
yes, i feel the same way, i would be missing out by training elsewhere. my coach is really exceptional in both his technical knowledge and his teaching ability. I have visited many other school so i feel confident saying that.

i think everyone should visit different gyms to get a feel for different teaching styles and training methods.

Last edited:
Basically this is defined by your training partners competition experience/record.

Basically this is defined by your training partners competition experience/record.

Maybe I am wrong but assume most people who spend 1+ years at their school are satisfied with the things you say (otherwise they'd go somewhere else?)

What I'm really wondering is, do most people feel that their school is "the best"?

Kind of like how most people who drive a car think "I am an above average driver"... statistically that cannot be true and they are likely wrong. :)

I truly believe within the next 5 years we will have guys/girls on the podium at Pan Ams/Worlds in their divisions. We are a growing gym and stepping it up a notch competition wise the last few years.

Really depends on competition results.

Interesting to see people bring up "competition results" as a benchmark...

That may be important to many but my school is not a tournament school and I personally prefer that.

There is a very popular tournament school I have visited but I've found they're not nearly as technical because they focus on new / fancy tournament moves instead of fundamentals like we do. (Not saying ours is better I just prefer it at this stage in my development)

Last edited:
We are all special snowflakes, aren't we?
Who do you train with? Your teammates make your school special.
Do you have world class people available? Sometimes I think about my own academy. It would be me and a bunch of white belts. That would be special in its own way.

Invisible jiu jitsu, not using strength, not competition oriented, feels you cannot leave this "special" club to further your life in another state.

Oh boy! You are getting me worried. I hope it is just a clever troll post.

Invisible jiu jitsu, not using strength, not competition oriented, feels you cannot leave this "special" club to further your life in another state.

Oh boy! You are getting me worried. I hope it is just a clever troll post.

lol when you put it that way! I realize how that sounds... Truth is I really like this school and training is an important value for me. That's why it's messing with my head.

Can obviously visit other schools while traveling however I thought I'd check with people here and see if you all felt the same way about your respective schools... that would give me some perspective.

my old coach was on the iranian national team for wrestling and a bjj black belt. had so much knowledge and was a great guy.

not that my new school sucks, some really good guys here. but its more traditional. im happy here just the same

my old coach was on the iranian national team for wrestling and a bjj black belt. had so much knowledge and was a great guy.

not that my new school sucks, some really good guys here. but its more traditional. im happy here just the same

That is helpful. Thank you

I just happened to live next to a truly special school. I have been with them for over 20 years. If I move, I would have to take my school with me.

You like your school. That's great. But don't delude yourself into thinking that it's actually irreplaceable.

I train at a school that's a lot like what you describe. More traditional with a higher emphasis on fundamentals done well rather than more modern techniques. We've had guys medal at Pans and win pro MMA fights, but I'm under no illusion that my school is anything special. There are more famous gyms in town, but I like my school because I like the people.

I've trained up and down the West Coast and the more I've travelled the more I've found that unless you're at a truly elite school (and training with the competition team, not just the regular classes) or a truly shitty school - most schools are pretty much the same.

My school is the only one in my city that lets me heel hook people in the GI, start standing when there's space and roll with light strikes whenever I feel like. Those matter to me so I go there. One of our instructors is also a very good teacher who has a unique approach.

I wouldn't be opposed to going to another school as long as I like the instructors abilities and they don't train with IBJJ restrictions in mind.

when you're a white belt, every purple belt is special.

Maybe I am wrong but assume most people who spend 1+ years at their school are satisfied with the things you say (otherwise they'd go somewhere else?)

What I'm really wondering is, do most people feel that their school is "the best"?

Kind of like how most people who drive a car think "I am an above average driver"... statistically that cannot be true and they are likely wrong. :)

In the world of the blind, the one eye man is god.

Basically you are new to Bjj and you look up to your service provider without the experience of receiving this service in past so you cannot realise compare.
Usually it takes a little a bit longer for the pink lenses to crack and start to realise how naive you were.

Back