Is Wrestling the Dominant Skill in UFC?

There is no dominant skill.

MMA fighters need: wrestling + jiu jitsu + boxing + muay thai + specific MMA training (g'n'p, against the cage etc.)

Yes it is the dominant skill. That is why a majority of UFC champions come from a wrestling background.

You need to be skilled in all areas to be successful but wrestling dictates the terms of the fight. It's not just takedowns but defending takedowns as well.

So this is something I've wondered about but wanted to see how Saturday played out before putting a foot in my mouth.

And disclaimer- this could totally change within 2 years; MMA is a constantly evolving sport.

So in a completely butchered history of style dominance in the UFC, conventional wisdom was that Royce established BJJ as a must have skill until the wrestlers took over. For a long time wrestling was seen as the most important skill a fighter could have, and there are countless examples.

But then something weird happened, wrestling became so commonplace that everyone started having it. But then something weird happened. The best and most popular fighters became strikers, especially those with takedown defense. For a brief period the strikers were seen as taking over the wrestler's spot. Mcgregor, Silva, Overeem, Aldo, Machida, take your pick.

And I think it's swung back officially. At a championship level, I think that the most dominant fighters on the planet right now are wrestling bases with a striking game.

Stipe, Cormier, GSP (or Romero and Rockhold both), Khabib, Edgar, Mighty Mouse...

There are obviously exceptions, but it is seeming more and more like the return of the wrestler in UFC.

Any thoughts?

HUMMM....
250.gif

YES.

Back