Is Wrestling the Dominant Skill in UFC?

Foolish

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
So this is something I've wondered about but wanted to see how Saturday played out before putting a foot in my mouth.

And disclaimer- this could totally change within 2 years; MMA is a constantly evolving sport.

So in a completely butchered history of style dominance in the UFC, conventional wisdom was that Royce established BJJ as a must have skill until the wrestlers took over. For a long time wrestling was seen as the most important skill a fighter could have, and there are countless examples.

But then something weird happened, wrestling became so commonplace that everyone started having it. But then something weird happened. The best and most popular fighters became strikers, especially those with takedown defense. For a brief period the strikers were seen as taking over the wrestler's spot. Mcgregor, Silva, Overeem, Aldo, Machida, take your pick.

And I think it's swung back officially. At a championship level, I think that the most dominant fighters on the planet right now are wrestling bases with a striking game.

Stipe, Cormier, GSP (or Romero and Rockhold both), Khabib, Edgar, Mighty Mouse...

There are obviously exceptions, but it is seeming more and more like the return of the wrestler in UFC.

Any thoughts?

its always been wrestling and boxing

wrestling allows you to control where the fight goes - and the fact that a lot of this gen fighters aren't any good off their back makes it even easier for wrestlers - they dominate top control without the threat of any submissions and they just grind and GNP away

you need to be able to do everything but wrestling is a great place to start

for people who dont train wrestling by itself is garbage but when mixed with the knowledge of jiu jitsu as well yes wrestling doesnt have side control the back mount ect on the ground or submissions

Wrestling, Jiu Jitsu is the place to start.

Without submission defense, wrestling and boxing won't get you very far. Hence, mixed martial arts.

Recency Bias ( as many fans in sherdog have)

Wrestling like ANYTHING else is dominant if there is a skill disparity.

Yes Connor mcgregor the two division champ proved wrestling is GOAT

All things considered, wrestling appears to be the most dominant skill.

lol where have you been the last 20 years.

Wrestling is extremely essential as far as I'm concerned. You can't get by just striking. You will be taken down and thoroughly embarrassed if that's all you have. Very rarely can you get by with soley BJJ, Shinya Aoki being the only really fly in the ink there, but you do need to be aware of wrestling. If you were a wrestler entering into a pure BJJ match you would get handled, but the thing is, having an extensive knowledge of wrestling will make learning submission grappling far easier than just starting with no grappling knowledge. You understand positioning and many wrestlers pick-up how at least to defend against submissions if not apply them pretty darn easily after very little time training. And, in MMA you don't need to be the greatest wrestler to have success because wrestling for MMA is easier than pure wrestling.

The ability to get a takedown or stop a takedown. That can be wrestling, judo, sambo, whatever.

Sambo?
khabibnurmagomedov1.png

Boxing is taking off right now for the same reason BJJ did great in 1993. No one knew what it was and all guys were open to submissions.

Boxing in MMA is close to 1995's BJJ. Guys know what it is but EVERYONE SUCKS AT IT. Just knowing a jab made you revolutionary and a maverick as recently as like GSP in 2010.

Throwing a straight right hand with proper technique to give it power instead of a looping overhand or straights with arm punching? That makes you look like the GOAT in 2017 -- see Conor McGregor.

for people who dont train wrestling by itself is garbage but when mixed with the knowledge of jiu jitsu as well yes wrestling doesnt have side control the back mount ect on the ground or submissions

For wrestlers It's all about maintaining a dominant wrestling position, side control, a hard leg ride. These are dominant positions as a wrestler and there is less opportunity to be reversed or " caught " in a submission like other positions like the guard or bucked off in the mount. From these positions you can control your opponent and strike with hands elbows and knee or knees.

<mma4> .

it is when it is and it's not when it's not.

Well.. it shifted to stand-up right.. since more and more can avoid td's/subs..
But well, you first gotta be able to avoid td's and subs so u gotta have the skills.. But I think mma is evolving more and more towards stand-up and well, u start on the feet.

Recency Bias ( as many fans in sherdog have)

Wrestling like ANYTHING else is dominant if there is a skill disparity.

As I said, MMA is constantly evolving sport.

But with that said, the last few striker vs wrestler title fights have gone unanimously to wrestlers

Conor is kind of the exception that proves the rule, the fact that he is one of the very few pure strikers shows how much better at it you have to be to overcome a wrestler.

Yes Connor mcgregor the two division champ proved wrestling is GOAT
Maybe if Mctapper had a better idea how to set up a take down he wouldn't have been choked silly by Diaz in the middle of the octagon

Back