Is Woodley in his prime now?

DanMMAleague

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Or was he better 5 years ago?

5 years ago he was losing a decision to Jake Shields.

He’s 36 now he was 31 then. When will he lose the fast twitch fibres?

Well he's champion and basically an awful match up for everyone he fights. Yeh i'd say he's in his prime

Or was he better 5 years ago?

5 years ago he was losing a decision to Jake Shields.

He’s 36 now he was 31 then. When will he lose the fast twitch fibres?
Getting better with age. He reminds me of DC in this regard.

Yup. Mr.Woodley is a dangerous mammal for any fighter to face now

Maybe not physically, but he's gotten to the point where his fight IQ is high enough to win rounds consistently with the minimum risk needed in order to do so.

I’d say yes, Marquardt literally beat him into his prime, he owes a huge debt of gratitude to Nate.

Randy was 34 when he won the HW title wasn't he and 37 the 2nd time.
Was he at his peak then or when he beat Chuck 3 years later or when he beat Tim Sylvia to regain the HW belt another 4 years after that?

It seems reasonable that this is peak Woodley.

Getting better with age. He reminds me of DC in this regard.
Why not Hendo?
Why would you use another black guy in this comparison

Come on son
yutRrqm.gif

Woodley is a motherfucker and I look forward to him KOing RDA/Qweefington winner.

He's 36 but doesn't have the mileage of an average 36 year old mmartist .
He's in his prime and expect him to be tough to beat for a couple of years still.

Prime is an arc and not a flat line. It has an upside and downside to the prime and a peak at the top.

images

Where this chart shows Average Performers is actually a fighters prime.

Where it shows Rainmakers would be when they are still a little green but show potential, usually losing to mainly only oher up and coming top guys or gatekeepers. A fighter could actually be in his physical prime and at his strongest at this point but typically has not learned how to fight smart and how to win, and sees everything as a brute force challenge.

On the red side the fighter has fallen out of his prime and starts suffering losses to other top guys. A fighter left his physical prime and is slightly slower, slightly less reflexes, cardio is less but he still fights very smart and may still be in his mental prime as he's learned how to win. He is still able to get high level wins near the top of this arc by being more crafty than dominant.

The green section is his prime. It is where physical prime and mental prime meet and at the very top is the fighters Peek. the apex of when everything comes together and you see his absolute best performances. Physical and mental game domination.

Woodley I would suspect is the downside of his prime curve but still relatively near the top.

Yes he is in his prime and not yet approaching the downside. I expect him to be in this spot for the next couple of years at least.

only saw 1-2 fights of woodley, but I think he didnt get much damage overall.

Back