Is wing chun really this good ?

Is this a serious question?

Wing chun may or may not be good, but the video is horrible.

It can be...but not for those guys. As far as competition fighting, not really. But it does have some advantages on the street. So I'd say it's worth it depending on why you're training.

heh, that second guy had to have no prior training or be drunk. chin up the entire vid.

but i'll give my nod. every time i see some wing chun stuff it always at least looks nice as hell. i wouldnt instantly count it out.

Wing Chun is fine when used appropriately in fight situations. Even competition. Anyone who states otherwise without knowing the Art or having seen the best at the Art is a fool who should not be trusted.

Ha ha...

Has anyone here ever done the sticky hands drill? I have. Quite fun really. I am really, really, bad at it. I used to work out and spar with all kinds of people from different styles in my younger years (early 20s, now I'm closing in on 35 and have no time to meet and work out with fellow martial artists!!!) I loved doing sticky hands with people. I think it is a really good drill for sensitivity (even though I was really bad at it and usually would get slapped around some while doing it).So many of those guys had such fast hands!

I definitely wouldn't take anything away from them

Wing Chun is one of the more effective kung-fu styles IMO. Its a Southern style that emphasizes lots of fast, direct hand techniqes and only low kicks.

King Kabuki said:
Wing Chun is fine when used appropriately in fight situations. Even competition. Anyone who states otherwise without knowing the Art or having seen the best at the Art is a fool who should not be trusted.

If my dong is used appropriately in a fight, then it is effective.

Wow. Yet another tradition martial artist who looks like a badass against compliant partners in demo-dummy mode.

WC has the same issues the vast majority of chinese martial arts have - shitty outdated instructional methods. It does have a few interesting ideas, and I'm sure *something* could be made of it if you sparred extensively, and crosstrained (if only to learn what kind of attacks people will actually throw at you). Only thing is, the result would looking nothing like the WC you would learn at your local WC school.

Have any WC people made a splash in San Shou comps?

The guy in the video is at least a black belt at getting knocked out and falling down.

Aardvark said:
Wow. Yet another tradition martial artist who looks like a badass against compliant partners in demo-dummy mode.

WC has the same issues the vast majority of chinese martial arts have - shitty outdated instructional methods. It does have a few interesting ideas, and I'm sure *something* could be made of it if you sparred extensively, and crosstrained (if only to learn what kind of attacks people will actually throw at you). Only thing is, the result would looking nothing like the WC you would learn at your local WC school.

Have any WC people made a splash in San Shou comps?

There are many guys in many different schools who are decent athletes and good. This guy looked pretty good.

That being said I don't think he would 'own the UFC' or anything. But I think he wouldn't be a bad guy to have watching your back if you were in a fight.

I don't see what is wrong with acknowledging the guy has fast hands. The sticky hands drill is just that, a drill. I mean rarely do people put their wrists together and say, 'lets fight!' Trust me. Most Kung Fu schools do sparring that is similar to kickboxing (with protective equipment). At that point they throw bombs at each other.

What you see in the video is just a traditional drill that they do to vary training.

The hands look fast but is it possible to put any power on that? It seems like while the wing chun guy would be slapping whilst the other guy could just wind up a haymaker and ko him.

The hands look fast but is it possible to put any power on that? It seems like while the wing chun guy would be slapping whilst the other guy could just wind up a haymaker and ko him.

Sticking hands is not about power, that's not what they're practicing. There's tons of ways to hit with power in Wing Chun, but certain drills are just not about it.

aaron_mag said:
Ha ha...

Has anyone here ever done the sticky hands drill? I have. Quite fun really. I am really, really, bad at it. I used to work out and spar with all kinds of people from different styles in my younger years (early 20s, now I'm closing in on 35 and have no time to meet and work out with fellow martial artists!!!) I loved doing sticky hands with people. I think it is a really good drill for sensitivity (even though I was really bad at it and usually would get slapped around some while doing it).So many of those guys had such fast hands!

I definitely wouldn't take anything away from them

In college I took a semester of WC (an instructor came to the college but was from an actual dojo) cause I needed a couple more credits to be full-time.

...Anyway that class was the hl of my day for that entire semester. Those sticky hand drills were a fucking BLAST! Maybe not the most useful ma for cometition, but if you have the chance to try it/see the artsyness of it I bet you'll have fun.

Wing CHun is much more suited for a real life self defence set up that an nhb/mma. but with basic understanding of a more long range art and a little ground work WC is an excelent base.
But remeber anything can look good in a demo, inculdeding 7 drunken gods

Fight_Song said:
heh, that second guy had to have no prior training or be drunk. chin up the entire vid.

but i'll give my nod. every time i see some wing chun stuff it always at least looks nice as hell. i wouldnt instantly count it out.

i don't think so. that guy is obviously a student. he wasn't really attacking him (and the head bobs are just acting for demonstrative purpose).

I took Wing Chun for 6 years, (man, I'm probably the only guy whose taken the top 2 martial arts made fun of here at sherdog, the other being TKD).

From what I've seen and experienced with WC, they do have fast hands, and I couldn't think of a better Martial art that teaches reaction, coordination, and body awareness. You can literally do wing chun with another partner blind folded.

That being said, it has tremendous flaws, especially conerning REAL self defense. The simple fact that wing chun has defenses that deal only with the techniques from its own list of attacks tells you how limited it, and to a great extent other traditional martial arts are. (which is why the M in MMA means Mixed.)

One spot I see wing chun actually having an advantage in is its leg sweeps or "sticky" legs, if you've ever tried this out. I've actually used this while sparring with a buddy of mine. You understand how the body weight shifts when the hands move so when he slightly stepped forward to throw a jab, I swept his lead leg with a flick of my foot, not much power at all, and he went down flat. Easy as that. =P Its one reason why wing chun emphasizes rear leg weight placement.

Also, stomping on someone's knee at an angle seems like it has real world application. Never tried that though.
Overall, I wouldn't count on wing chun winning many fights....espcially against larger opponents who like to grapple. Which is ironic, because it was supposeldy developed to fight stronger people....hmmm.

Back