Is what Michael Johnson achieved in the lightweight division remarkable considering he can make 145.

Ragnus

K-1 Heavyweight Champion
@Green
Reaction score
Michael Johnson weighed in at championship weight 145 without the 1 pound allowance without looking gaunt or as if he was dying. I think its fair to say that he probably should have been at 145 the whole time as he doesn't have a bigger frame than the champion in the division Max Holloway. At 155 MJ was able to defeat tony ferguson, danny castillo, joe lauzon, a geared up gleison tibau of which he KO'd, melvin guillard, edson barboza, dustin poirier and was able to put up good fights against nate diaz, gaethje and was able to wobble khabib. MJ will be the next 145pound champ, trust me on that!

<FookIsThatGuy>...anyone do that yet?
to be fair MJ can make 145 currently and probably should have been there his whole career, conor can't make 145 anymore

He's a good, not great fighter.

Kind of a limited skill-set, overall. Great hands, but tends to fold under pressure.

Always dangerous though.

This isn't is first fight at 145

I think 155 is better for him but he's a fun fighter anyway

to be fair MJ can make 145 currently and probably should have been there his whole career, conor can't make 145 anymore

according to you.Never missed weight.

But i kind of feel weightclasses are a little artifical.A top 10 at lw nowdays wont be a top 5 at fw.Just a top 10.I think we have seen that with cowboy etc going to 170,there skills translate to a similar level they do at 155 before they get beat.

No. It's a 10lbs difference.

black fighters don't get much love around here.

sherdog member rule #1.

black fighters don't get much love around here.

sherdog member rule #1.
i normally wouldnt reach out for low hanging fruit like this....

But i feel compelled to say thats a lie

And in a thread about a black fighter that is like 17-12 of all things

His balls were being sucked on hard after the poirer ko...then he let it get out of his hands

Johnson is capable of being a top 3-5 fighter, but he routinely underperforms and is more of a frontrunner and generally doesn't manage his energy effectively.

I enjoy watching him fight and hope he has better luck at 45s

Not sure if he will be champ at 145. But definitely has the skills to be top 5 and maybe a contender. We will find out in 12 hours.

He's a good, not great fighter.

Kind of a limited skill-set, overall. Great hands, but tends to fold under pressure.

Always dangerous though.
100% spot on
one of them fighters that looks amazing on the pads/bag
but has that mental block while fighting

Just makes me miss Paul Sass even more

Heel hooked MJ and gets cut after a loss or two

Is he going to gas worse cutting more weight?

i normally wouldnt reach out for low hanging fruit like this....

But i feel compelled to say thats a lie

And in a thread about a black fighter that is like 17-12 of all things

His balls were being sucked on hard after the poirer ko...then he let it get out of his hands
Nganuu is talked about as much as Conor.

Floyd gets talked about and he ain' eeven fought mma.

Does Johnson even have a winning record in UFC? I feel like he loses most of the time I seen him. He is a mid tier fighter, nothing more than that.

Come on man, is this the first time you’ve seen someone drop down a weight class?

Nah

Michael Johnson weighed in at championship weight 145 without the 1 pound allowance without looking gaunt or as if he was dying. I think its fair to say that he probably should have been at 145 the whole time as he doesn't have a bigger frame than the champion in the division Max Holloway. At 155 MJ was able to defeat tony ferguson, danny castillo, joe lauzon, a geared up gleison tibau of which he KO'd, melvin guillard, edson barboza, dustin poirier and was able to put up good fights against nate diaz, gaethje and was able to wobble khabib. MJ will be the next 145pound champ, trust me on that!

Fuck yeah!!! I'm a fan of MJ, he always bring it.

The guy has been a top 10 - 15 since forever in the toughest division in the sport. That in itself is already a great achievement. Look at some of the names he beat: Ferguson, Barboza, Tibau, Poirier, Lauzon, Guillard ....

Now imagine if he goes on a winning streak at FW and gets that belt? For me it would cement an already great career.
3.gif

giphy.gif

Tony-Ferguson-Michael-Johnson.png

Back