Is wearing shin guards frowned upon?

Why are people making a big deal out of no shin guards? Check the kick and break the clown's leg. Or catch it and take him down. Or give him a punch counter. After that, kicks will no longer be thrown.

I know you're trolling 90% of the time but... If you stop kicking after being counterpunched/taken down, perhaps you should think of maybe, you know... Make adjustments?

depends ur not gonna be able to just check kicks out of nowhere ur gonna get mouses all over ur shin.. I would spar with them on personally, sparring isnt the time to condition ur shins

Technical, playful, very light, Thai style sparring is fun but only for those with good control and more advanced.

In Holland they spar with shinguards in every gym, in Thailand they dont spar

If you are new to Muay Thai or KB, shin guards are mandatory as you will likely get injuries and cause them to your training partner.

After you are a veteran or more experienced,Technical sparing doesnt require shin guards.

Not true.

I have travelled to and trained in Thailand about a dozen times at several camps and I have never witnessed actual sparring, the way we do in Holland I might add.

They sometimes box, they clinch alot, or do some sort of technical tip tap but real sparring I have never ever seen.

If you are new to Muay Thai or KB, shin guards are mandatory as you will likely get injuries and cause them to your training partner.

After you are a veteran or more experienced,Technical sparing doesnt require shin guards.

Sparring always requires shinpads.

I've recently started sparring kickboxing* on a regular basis with some guys I've trained jiu jitsu with over the years. None of them use shin guards and every time we spar my legs look like I've gotten beaten with baseball bats. I have shin guards but none of them wear theirs. Idk proper sparring etiquette. Am I being a woman because I'm a lot less motivated to spar when they aren't using shin guards or is it common to spar with shin guards? Thanks!

As others have said...either don't spar people who don't wear them or check their kicks.

Considering the context of your sparring, I'll bet checking their kicks with bare shins makes them think twice about kicking much (since they're BJJ guys and most likely don't have conditioned shins either).

I have travelled to and trained in Thailand about a dozen times at several camps and I have never witnessed actual sparring, the way we do in Holland I might add.

They sometimes box, they clinch alot, or do some sort of technical tip tap but real sparring I have never ever seen.
The way you do it in Holland isn't actual sparring it's basically fighting in a gym setting...

As others have said...either don't spar people who don't wear them or check their kicks.

Considering the context of your sparring, I'll bet checking their kicks with bare shins makes them think twice about kicking much (since they're BJJ guys and most likely don't have conditioned shins either).

Dat necromancy from you? :eek:
were you drunk?

Dat necromancy from you? :eek:
were you drunk?

Lol...googled people doing padwork with shinguards on (since I saw it the other day...was someone from MMA, not MT) and was curious as to how common it was, since I have never really seen it in MT gyms before. Came across this thread in the process and decided to bump it since I was bored. :rolleyes:

training without shin guards is retarded

THIS

every KB / MT gym I've seen has shinguards

sure, there is some sparring and drilling without, but almost never sparring above super light contact.

padwork is done without shinguards, as is bagwork.

We never spar without shin guard. it's dangerous and you can easily injure yourself or your sparring partner.

Hahaha you must have been drunk. The true answer is, Stop training with the ground Monkeys.......

training without shin guards is retarded

THIS

every KB / MT gym I've seen has shinguards

sure, there is some sparring and drilling without, but almost never sparring above super light contact.

padwork is done without shinguards, as is bagwork.

I don't think it's retarded to sparr without shin guards, it's very common in Kyokushin / Knockdown Karate for instance and I find it does condition your thighs quite well though time. It also means you're more careful and accurate when kicking rather than just carelessly throwing kicks.

I mean do you really think what you see on this video is retarded? I don't think so:

It's a lot less retarded to sparr without shin guards than it is to do sparring with head punches with more than 50% force IMO.

I mean when you look at MIke's gym sparring, they wear shin guards but punch each other full force in the head, for me that's kind of ironical as the latter is much more dangerous. I'd rather get bruised legs than losing brain cells on a daily basis.

I don't think it's retarded to sparr without shin guards, it's very common in Kyokushin / Knockdown Karate for instance and I find it does condition your thighs quite well though time. It also means you're more careful and accurate when kicking rather than just carelessly throwing kicks.

I mean do you really think what you see on this video is retarded? I don't think so:

It's a lot less retarded to sparr without shin guards than it is to do sparring with head punches with more than 50% force IMO.

I mean when you look at MIke's gym sparring, they wear shin guards but punch each other full force in the head, for me that's kind of ironical as the latter is much more dangerous. I'd rather get bruised legs than losing brain cells on a daily basis.

They're not checking the kicks. Nothing wrong with that kind of sparring but i wouldn't want to do it with the average guy in a western gym

I've recently started sparring kickboxing* on a regular basis with some guys I've trained jiu jitsu with over the years. None of them use shin guards and every time we spar my legs look like I've gotten beaten with baseball bats. I have shin guards but none of them wear theirs. Idk proper sparring etiquette. Am I being a woman because I'm a lot less motivated to spar when they aren't using shin guards or is it common to spar with shin guards? Thanks!
I've always sparred with shin guards on everywhere I trained.
It's stupid to not use them unless you want to go very light or work on shin conditioning. If some asshole spars hard with no shin guards, just remove yours and head kick him... he'll get the message.

They're not checking the kicks. Nothing wrong with that kind of sparring but i wouldn't want to do it with the average guy in a western gym

Done that for quite a while in Kyokushin and I'm still alive. The worst that happened in the space of several years was once a bruised rib from getting hit hard with knees and kicks 2 nights in a row on the same spot. That's all.

Again, I much prefer that rather than hard sparring with head punches too frequently.

Back