Is wearing shin guards frowned upon?

Jitser

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
I've recently started sparring kickboxing* on a regular basis with some guys I've trained jiu jitsu with over the years. None of them use shin guards and every time we spar my legs look like I've gotten beaten with baseball bats. I have shin guards but none of them wear theirs. Idk proper sparring etiquette. Am I being a woman because I'm a lot less motivated to spar when they aren't using shin guards or is it common to spar with shin guards? Thanks!

never seen it or heard of it.
if you had an injury you are protecting I would be ok with it
but I think it would be annoying for people you roll with

having it twist off ect..
if they are cool with it then its all good

? So are you sparring kickboxing/MT or JJ? (This is the MT/KB forum)

If you're a KB/MT guy and you get more bruised up than JJ guys then I think you have a bigger problem..

"I've recently started sparring on a regular basis with some guys in Muay Thai. I've trained jiu jitsu with over the years."

fixed it for you.

He is saying he is a Jiu Jitsu practitioner who just started training Muay Thai.

In my gym, everyone spars with shin guards on. Sparring without shin guard is like sparring without gloves or head gear.

Just let them know you are new and that you like to wear a shin guard. They will either say yes or no and spar someone else.

When you get better you can spar without shin guard. But as a newbie, you best wear a shin guard or get beaten legs and spar once every few months as your shin heals. I spar every other day but I wear shin guards and we go 50% atmost.

And nobody wears shin guards in bjj rolling.

Sorry I explained that poorly. I am sparring kickboxing with some jiu jitsu buddies of mine. Thanks for the insight!

Training in a way that would injure you or others is frowned upon, do what you will with this.

JJ is not BJJ, at least not in this context. Traditional JJ involves striking.

Anyways... kick sparring without shin pads is retarded.

Sparring with shinguards frowned upon? No way man they're just out of money

Not in any MT gym I've seen. What's the point in getting injured in training?

You wear your shinguards MOSTLY to avoid injuries on your opponent.
Without shinguards a few low kicks can cause bruising on the leg and end their training session.
So if you wear shinguards and your opponent doesn't you hve the disadvantage.
So dont care if it's frowned upon, just state that you wont spar with them as long as they aren't wearing them either.
Every kickboxer spars with shinguards, even the world class fighters, just to avoid any stupid injuries on theirself and their sparringpartners

Advanced guys do drills or very very light technique sparring without shinguards. But full sparring should always have shinguards. Unless you are a moron

You should definitely spar with shin guards, it reduces the possibility of yourself and your opponent from becoming injured. Tbh I trained in a crap gym when I first started training and a lot of guys would train without shin guards - they often injured themselves by hitting a knee or elbow...

I've seen lumpini champs kick a bag with shinnys, I think it depends on feels

those kicks hurt like hell when you're a beginner and it takes time to toughen the shins, don't let anyone tell you any different because if they do, they're just being assholes. I toughened mine a lot but I still never had to kick heads and bones, i never understood how you can toughen the shins to that point but some guys have no feeling left there.

Why are people making a big deal out of no shin guards? Check the kick and break the clown's leg. Or catch it and take him down. Or give him a punch counter. After that, kicks will no longer be thrown.

Why are people making a big deal out of no shin guards? Check the kick and break the clown's leg. Or catch it and take him down. Or give him a punch counter. After that, kicks will no longer be thrown.
:icon_lol:

Back