Is USA the best country to live in?

In reality there are very few countries where you live a quality life being sick dumb or unlucky

Sick is most often temporary and a symptom of poor public policy. Literally go to any European country and there is no charge to get advice and treatment to get well from any ailment for citizens.

Not sure anyone is dumb at everything. Certainly some people have a proclivity for trouble but that's often environmentally influenced. Nouveau riche people are often good at only 1 thing and are oblivious to all else.

For the unlucky I think handicapped counts right? Well if you are an unlucky handicapped Dutch person, they get laid, paid for by tax dollars.
https://mic.com/articles/85201/the-surprising-way-the-netherlands-is-helping-its-disabled-have-sex

Lol. I always forget their ridiculous debt :)
But the combination of their military power, natural resources and constitution makes for a very resilient nation.
Over the course of, say, 100 years, I would bet on them sustaining a higher average quality of life and respect for individual liberty than most.

I'd say their military is a huge liability and perhaps the greatest risk facing the usa.
It's ever expanding and as it's funding grows it's upkeep grows exponentially. It's bad debt to a T, depreciates in value and requires expensive maintenance.

Constitution is decent but massively over valued. Patriot Act a clear example. No one could justify a claim that the right to bear arms has not been infringed.
It's not a bad doc but provides little protection Compared with being democratic.

Resources yes, very strong supply but consumption is HUGE. It's all populated.

But the biggest factor is in my opinion is it does everything. You want corn yeap cars yeap medical yeap, industrial machinery, fin tech, mil tech, literally anything in the world could be made in America (that's extremely rare).

As someone who was an immigrant multiple times.

- South America- Great people, cheap living, nice weather vs brutal violence, corruption, lack of opportunities

Kind of broad no? I mean even within countries living in one city is often completely different than another in the same country. Not sure Suriname/Venezeual/Ecudaor are places anyone immigrates to.

- Europe- Great social care, very caring people, history and food vs some of the worst immigrants to live with (I speak as before the refugee crisis).

Very few counties outside of France have refugee problems. Germany has tons and they have no significant issues.

- US- Great freedoms, great tech, great opportunities vs extreme individualism, freaking crazy healthcare and lack of history/culture (no offense, just stating that this is a very young nation)

The indigenous people who settled what is now the US nearly 20,000 years ago. There is so much native history it's not even funny, you could spend years in the southwest and not experience it all.

California has been a state longer than Italy has been a country.

Well it depends , economic mobility is very possible here, and those who actually apply themselves and work their asses off can achieve great things here...

Well it depends , economic mobility is very possible here, and those who actually apply themselves and work their asses off can achieve great things here...

Mobility is kinda on the low side for first world, but it does have the highest heights.

I'd say their military is a huge liability and perhaps the greatest risk facing the usa.
It's ever expanding and as it's funding grows it's upkeep grows exponentially. It's bad debt to a T, depreciates in value and requires expensive maintenance.

Constitution is decent but massively over valued. Patriot Act a clear example. No one could justify a claim that the right to bear arms has not been infringed.
It's not a bad doc but provides little protection Compared with being democratic.

Resources yes, very strong supply but consumption is HUGE. It's all populated.

But the biggest factor is in my opinion is it does everything. You want corn yeap cars yeap medical yeap, industrial machinery, fin tech, mil tech, literally anything in the world could be made in America (that's extremely rare).

All good points.

I think the decline in education is their biggest threat. Next is the stark partisan divide - to which the aforementioned probably contributes.
Their propensity for making enemies (and the subsequent malleability of an anxious and often divided citizenry) is also cause for concern.

I do not think that the extent or expense of their military is feasible in the long term. They'll eventually pull back, either because they realise the necessity or are forced to.
Their military is an inefficient and overpriced beast, and its decline, relative to the rest of the world will force a change at some point. Nevertheless, whatever fractures, collapses or resistance it faces it will likely always be up to the task of physically protecting their sovereignty.

I don't think that their constitution is particularly special, but in conjunction with their national character, the strength of the supreme court and their still relatively high-quality education, it suffices despite occasional abuses.
I don't doubt the danger of the patriot act, but (while I don't have evidence for this) it is so opposed to their constitution and their conception of human rights, I have a tough time imagining it surviving over the long term.

Other than Switzerland, Iceland, NZ and maybe Aus, I just don't see many if any nations maintaining the same balance of security, comfort and freedom over the long term as they will.

If you live in a first world country then the only reason your standard of living is possible is because of the US military.

Without the US military, the world's oceans, trade routes, and natural resources would be divided up by and controlled by China, Russia, etc. All your merchant ships that wanted to travel through Asian seas would get charged 'tolls'. All your oil imports would be 'taxed'. Oil and other natural resources would be periodically cut off to extort you whenever who controlled them didn't like your politics. Etc.

Of course, you've never had to live without the US military protecting you from these things. So, you don't appreciate what the US military does for you. However, in a world without the US military, European countries wouldn't be able to survive spending 1% of GDP on their militaries then redistributing the artificially low military spending to social services. You'd be crushed via geopolitics.

You'd either have to increase your own military spending to be on parr with the US' own military spending that you mock so much or you would have to accept living as 2nd/ 3rd world vassal states.

There is that global stereotype that living in USA is a dream of every person in the world (or at least poor to middle class). Standard of life, healthcare, everything on high level.

As a teen I also wanted to move and live in US. My views changed overtime though.

The one of the biggest issues for me would be living in a fear that people with different mental states are allowed to carry guns. The last thing you want is being caught in some psycho mall/cinema/school shootout, or just get mugged on the street at night in a wrong neighbourhood.

Europe got the same problem with all these 3rd world scumbags coming in, not working, raping and mugging people. If I had a say I would hang all PC politicians responsible for it, turning this beautiful continent into cesspool. Not so long ago If you travelled to Germany, Switzerland, France, Spain, to any city and street, the chances that you would get assaulted are much much lower unlike the US, especially that guns are banned.

Another issue for me would be job security. US got something called Employment At Will. That means you can have your job this week, loans taken for new car, house, whatever. And next week you find yourself without a job under reason 'just because'. In Europe however, employer need to give a reason to dismiss you, and it has to be a proper reason which he can prove. Firing you because you screwed your boss daughter is off the table.

That's probably 2 main issues I would have. Myself I been travelling a bit around Europe and in terms of culture of specific country I would have no issue to accommodate to.

i'd say that for someone living in the third world, that would like to elevate their standard of living. the u.s. is still the best option. the reason for that, is that it's the best country for upward mobility in that it has always been a nation of immigrants. here in the u.s., you are not discriminated against, so long as you learn the english language, and ally yourself with this country, and choose to become an american.

in europe, it seems that the continent is trying to integrate outsiders into their countries, but i don't think all the natives approve of this. and to make things worse, the people who arrive, don't even want to integrate. they want to maintain allegiances with the countries they came from, while attaining the benefits of living in europe. it's no wonder that there is conflict, tension, and strife in europe.

it's cliche to say, but in america, you can have parents who came from poverty, and within a generation, if their children were born and raised in the u.s., they can immediately become middle-class, and become full-fledged american. i say it because i'm a product of it.

If you live in a first world country then the only reason your standard of living is possible is because of the US military.

Without the US military, the world's oceans, trade routes, and natural resources would be divided up by and controlled by China, Russia, etc. All your merchant ships that wanted to travel through Asian seas would get charged 'tolls'. All your oil imports would be 'taxed'. Oil and other natural resources would be periodically cut off to extort you whenever who controlled them didn't like your politics. Etc.

Of course, you've never had to live without the US military protecting you from these things. So, you don't appreciate what the US military does for you. However, in a world without the US military, European countries wouldn't be able to survive spending 1% of GDP on their militaries then redistributing the artificially low military spending to social services. You'd be crushed via geopolitics.

You'd either have to increase your own military spending to be on parr with the US' own military spending that you mock so much or you would have to accept living as 2nd/ 3rd world vassal states.

absolutely right. great post.

We did all that out of the goodness of our hearts a century ago , still waiting for the thank you card .

That depends heavily on where you live in the US. The different regions are as different as neighboring countries in other parts of the world.

There is that global stereotype that living in USA is a dream of every person in the world (or at least poor to middle class). Standard of life, healthcare, everything on high level.

As a teen I also wanted to move and live in US. My views changed overtime though.

The one of the biggest issues for me would be living in a fear that people with different mental states are allowed to carry guns. The last thing you want is being caught in some psycho mall/cinema/school shootout, or just get mugged on the street at night in a wrong neighbourhood.

Europe got the same problem with all these 3rd world scumbags coming in, not working, raping and mugging people. If I had a say I would hang all PC politicians responsible for it, turning this beautiful continent into cesspool. Not so long ago If you travelled to Germany, Switzerland, France, Spain, to any city and street, the chances that you would get assaulted are much much lower unlike the US, especially that guns are banned.

Another issue for me would be job security. US got something called Employment At Will. That means you can have your job this week, loans taken for new car, house, whatever. And next week you find yourself without a job under reason 'just because'. In Europe however, employer need to give a reason to dismiss you, and it has to be a proper reason which he can prove. Firing you because you screwed your boss daughter is off the table.

That's probably 2 main issues I would have. Myself I been travelling a bit around Europe and in terms of culture of specific country I would have no issue to accommodate to.
All people leaving Bosnia and go to those country in Europe. I am sorry in there name. But war fuck us pretty good here on Balkan

If you like guns it is.....

Apart from a decent cup of tea , fucking savages .

our chocolate and pastries are pretty low standard IMO. I am not saying it sucks but... ummm actually yes... I am saying American chocolate and pastries suck...

I think its one of the best big country ala Roy Nelson, and good variety of people.

The answer is yes. No explanation is needed. When the masses of the world legitimately wonder if some other country is the best country to live in without comparing those places to the U.S. is when that answer starts to change.

Back