Is Tool the Greatest Band In Existence?

Dio was a giant among men when it came to his voice. Ive heard his personality was exceptional aswell. Glenn Hughes speaks highly of him.

Hughes is another one of my favorite vocalists, such a great set of pipes on him.

DT takes some time to get to know well and they're unusual if you're not familiar with Prog, but theyre worth the effort. They have many great albums. They do tend to wank a bit and can take a moment to get to the point, but their overall songs are exceptional. Many choose to focus on the former, but the latter is worth it.

You should check out Symphony X too, they're very proggy, with heavy heavy riffs, blistering solos but a bit of power metal and theatricality thrown in, very epic.

Check out Paradise Lost and V: Mythology Suite, those two are fantastic. Not a bad song on 'em.
Glenn Hughes is quality. Fantastic singer/song writer and bassist. I am very fond of prog in all forms, my main problem is that prog bands start to get a bit too experimental for my taste? If that makes sense? For instance LCD Soundsystem?

Glenn Hughes is quality. Fantastic singer/song writer and bassist. I am very fond of prog in all forms, my main problem is that prog bands start to get a bit too experimental for my taste? If that makes sense? For instance LCD Soundsystem?
100%.

I enjoy the weirdness, but there's a limit.

I think Prog is some of the best music out there, but it can sometimes get to be a bit too much. I listen to alot of it, but there're some Prog bands that just are unlistenable to me.

I am a bassist myself. For me Geddy Lee, Rex Brown and Les Claypool were my heroes
Rush is probably my favorite band from the 70's, after Sabbath.

Geddy is the man.

In fact, I'd argue Rush belongs on the list.

Each are exceptional at what they do.

A Farewell To Kings might be my favorite album by them, followed by Fly By Night and Moving Pictures.

Geddy is the man.

A Farewell To Kings might be my favorite album by them, followed by Fly By Night and Moving Pictures.
70's is hard for me. Floyd had some quality out at the same time, as did Zep. Not to mention the original Fleetwood Mac lineup was spectacular for it's time.(They might be pre-70's?). Peter Green is so under appreciated. Roxy Music is an honorable mention, even before Brian Eno hit the scene.
Edit: Fly By Night Is my favorite Rush album, by far.

Geddy is the man.

If you don't know who Roxy Music is.

Is Tool the Greatest Band In Existence?

Not even close.

spinal-tap.jpg

For me, it's between: Tool, Led Zeppelin, and Queen. Who you got?

I never got the Tool hype. I never liked them. While Queen did awesome, awesome music, I always hated Freddy's voice (I know that I'll be hated for this, but what can I do), so of the three you mentioned I have to go with Led Zeppelin.

For me, it's between: Tool, Led Zeppelin, and Queen. Who you got?

King Crimson is far superior. The band started in 1969 and is still kicking ass.

Last edited by a moderator:
I never got the Tool hype. I never liked them. While Queen did awesome, awesome music, I always hated Freddy's voice (I know that I'll be hated for this, but what can I do), so of the three you mentioned I have to go with Led Zeppelin.
I am a metal guy myself, so it's hard to find metal/prog bands that can match the technicality and timing Tool has acquired. I can't say I hate you for not liking Freddie's voice, but he does have one of the highest vocal ranges for a Male singer in any genre. That said, Mike Patton, of Mr. Bungle and Faith No More fame, has a very high range himself, but I cannot stand most of his music.

I can't say I hate you for not liking Freddie's voice, but he does have one of the highest vocal ranges for a Male singer in any genre.

Don't get me wrong, I think that Freddy was a great singer, one of the best in pop music history, I just can't stand the colour of his voice. Especially the high notes. It irritates me for some reason.

Having said that, Innuendo is an album I still listen to regularly. I like the dark mood of the songs and even Freddy's voice doesn't bother me on that album.

Thank you sir, I will have to have a nice sit and listen when it's not almost 2:00 am in my area.

It is probably worth mentioning that King Crimson opened for Tool back in the early 2000's. Tool's Danny Carey is heavily influenced by them. Here is Carey talking about the King Crimson album Discipline (1981). You can hear some similarities between the songs on Discipline and Tool's songs.

I love tool, but their fans are delusional.

A lot of Tool fans are irritating and James Maynard Keenan is a self-righteous, pretentious, hipster, prick. With that being said, Tool is a great band. Lateralus in particular is an excellent album.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
durbanik916
Back