Is Tony Ferguson still in his prime ?

20falarVerdades

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
He's 34 years old and been fighting for over a decade now, yet Tony shows no signs of declining. Is it fair to assume that he is still in his prime?

I think so.

He hasn't shown any signs of being over the hill just yet.

if he loses this next fight he was out of his prime and was always just a can .

if he wins .... yes
if he loses...he was always a can

I feel like mma is alittle weird. There's guys athletic primes when they're bodies are at their bests. But then there is a different kind of prime that comes with experience. Kind of like how guys like Cormier and Edgar seem to keep getting better. So tony might be there too. He's not young but he has a lot of experience

Last edited:
i think once he loses (which i think he will at 223) its downhill from there

that chin is bound to go soon and as soon as it does you'll see guys beating him unlike before where his chin like in the vanatta fight held up and he came back and won. not saying khabib will crack it but i think hes reached his peak at this point. he's not gonna go any higher

He's 34 years old and been fighting for over a decade now, yet Tony shows no signs of declining. Is it fair to assume that he is still in his prime?
Sometimes, people forget that you can still be winning and be out of your prime...

I feel like mma is alittle weird. There's guys atheistic primes when they're bodies are at their bests. But then there is a different kind of prime that comes with experience. Kind of like how guys like Cormier and Edgar seem to keep getting better. So tony might be there too. He's not young but he has a lot of experience
I agree totally but I feel in the lighter division where speed if more of a factor that the prime age is younger then in the heavier divisions

Last edited:
I feel like mma is alittle weird. There's guys atheistic primes when they're bodies are at their bests. But then there is a different kind of prime that comes with experience. Kind of like how guys like Cormier and Edgar seem to keep getting better. So tony might be there too. He's not young but he has a lot of experience

Edgar might not be the best example, he was just brutally KOed for the first time and looked like he may have lost a step.

The Lando and Kevin Lee fights would make you think he is declining but he looked pretty damn good in the RDA fight in between.

I agree with @Gambit MMA that IF Tony takes a brutal beating from Khabib he will likely decline from there and become less durable in future fights.

The Lando and Kevin Lee fights would make you think he is declining but he looked pretty damn good in the RDA fight in between.

I agree with @Gambit MMA that IF Tony takes a brutal beating from Khabib he will likely decline from there and become less durable in future fights.
well said.

you are very smart.

Yes he absolutely is. 34 isn't that old-- a lot of athletes have their best years in their mid 30's.

28-35 is prime years (unless you're playing football or have a history of injuries)

He's 34. He's fine.

Yes he absolutely is. 34 isn't that old-- a lot of athletes have their best years in their mid 30's.

Very few athletes that rely on reflexes have their best careers in their mid 30s. The average age of a player in the NBA is 26. The average age of running backs in NFL is 25.4. Tony is actually at the tail end of his prime, best case scenario, and probably just past his prime. He is still winning, but he is not in his physical prime.

Edgar might not be the best example, he was just brutally KOed for the first time and looked like he may have lost a step.

Edgar has had some of the best longevity the sport has ever seen. 10 years in the top 5 across two of the deepest divisions. He was scheduled to fight for another title shot while pushing 37 years old. Has there ever been a FW that old in a title fight?

Despite losing, he's still a top guy. I think oj21's point stands, but obviously Edgar's coming to the end of his career. His longevity can't really be questioned, though.

Very few athletes that rely on reflexes have their best careers in their mid 30s. The average age of a player in the NBA is 26. The average age of running backs in NFL is 25.4. Tony is actually at the tail end of his prime, best case scenario, and probably just past his prime. He is still winning, but he is not in his physical prime.

When I think of the term prime, I don't think of just physical prime; I think of performance prime.

It's really hard to estimate whether he's in his prime or not considering we don't see the end yet. That being said, he's on a big streak and we have no reason to believe that he isn't in his prime. What he might have lost athletically he most likely made up for in plenty of experience. Besides, today's medicine is amazing which does wonders for athlete career longevity in most sports, mma included.

Back