Is this the reason why the new UFC cannot develope new stars?

And another reason they can't develop new stars, is who the hell knew there was a card on this random sunday? sure us sherdoggers do because we are on here always so its impossible to miss posts about it.. but we are only a tiny minority, most people have no clue there are events because there is no promotion, virtually none.

The UFC's lack of promotion for events now is at a all time low, expect the poor viewing numbers to continue. Way too many events, everything looks the same.

MMA cannot develop stars consistently because as a sport it is just way too unpredictable, no one is unbeatable.

And another reason they can't develop new stars, is who the hell knew there was a card on this random sunday? sure us sherdoggers do because we are on here always so its impossible to miss posts about it.. but we are only a tiny minority, most people have no clue there are events because there is no promotion, virtually none.

The UFC's lack of promotion for events now is at a all time low, expect the poor viewing numbers to continue. Way too many events, everything looks the same.

Great point!

Here is yet another reason:

GettyImages-459833756.0.jpg

Ever since Lorenzo Fertitta left, the UFC have gone downhill. Now we can see who the real genius is.

Is this the reason why the new UFC cannot develope new stars?

A​

Meanwhile, Thiago Santos is the much better (with a more exciting style) of the two, yet where is the UFC's promotional effort behind him?

I think it's about timing as much as anything but when Thiago gets a groove he seems to lose.He just got smoked by David Branch and semi recently by Eric fricken Spicely.Santos is a killer but I think as far as Smith getting two "big" fights is just timing.Plus and more importantly Smith is (if he is) getting more of a push because he moved up to LHW and they are desperate for guys there while Santos is still at MW which still has faces.I kinda feel like your reaching,but I guess I don't really give a shit about them developing new stars when it comes to numbers and shit just developing talent.

Exactly. Another example is Stipe and Ngannou. Promoting the guys they want to hoping that their fighting ability is actually up to par while letting the actual successful fighters sit in the dark.

The UFC deserves shit for blatantly trying to shove Stipe out of the door, but his lack of promotion wasn't all on them.

Stipe said explicitly in interviews that he didn't want to be a star and didn't want to promote fights.

In a just world, he would have been a huge star just based on his record and his backstory, but that's not how combat sports work.

That being said. Stipe should only have been booked to fight in Cleveland or somewhere else in Ohio. However, because the UFC can't properly cater to certain regions due to their ridiculous business model and excessive number of commitments in different markets, Stipe got screwed out of being a big hometown draw.

Conor already had peoples interest. That's how the UFC decided to go with him. What they did to Conor helped him along,but he was already a STAR. Just like Rousey was a star before she even fought Tate for the belt. Everyone could see it.If the company didn't promote rousey and conor the fans would demand that they did. That kind of thing you cant make happen. Its already there.

Rousey was different to me, she fought everyone there was. it was just she was big for the weight class and the other girls were shitty until Holm.

Conor on the other hand, he had a very specific route to both the belts he fought and won. i'm not saying Conor wasn't a rising star, he definitely was, but the UFC's matchmaking made him into a SUPERstar.

imagine if he'd been matched up with a bunch of wrestlers like Elkins, Bermudez, Mendes, Lamas etc., when he first started fighting in the UFC, you can't tell me that he couldn't have gotten those match ups. he definitely could have, but instead he got almost exclusively all strikers and then the only wrestler he fought even to this date, is Chad Mendes and it was on short notice in a fight where he didn't look great.

it wasn't coincidence that all this happened, the UFC saw the potential behind Conor and used their matchmaking ability to give him fights that are favorable. i'm not hating, i'm just stating the facts. stars might be born not made, but you can definitely help stars become SUPERstars.

Stipe said explicitly in interviews that he didn't want to be a star and didn't want to promote fights.

In a just world, he would have been a huge star just based on his record and his backstory, but that's not how combat sports work.

If he doesn't want to do that stuff,than the UFC doesn't want him,and cant wait for him to lose. That's only fair.

Rousey was different to me, she fought everyone there was. it was just she was big for the weight class and the other girls were shitty until Holm.

Conor on the other hand, he had a very specific route to both the belts he fought and won. i'm not saying Conor wasn't a rising star, he definitely was, but the UFC's matchmaking made him into a SUPERstar.

imagine if he'd been matched up with a bunch of wrestlers like Elkins, Bermudez, Mendes, Lamas etc., when he first started fighting in the UFC, you can't tell me that he couldn't have gotten those match ups. he definitely could have, but instead he got almost exclusively all strikers and then the only wrestler he fought even to this date, is Chad Mendes and it was on short notice in a fight where he didn't look great.

it wasn't coincidence that all this happened, the UFC saw the potential behind Conor and used their matchmaking ability to give him fights that are favorable. i'm not hating, i'm just stating the facts. stars might be born not made, but you can definitely help stars become SUPERstars.
My point is that they wouldn't have bothered with the effort to do that with someone else who didn't have Conor's magnetism. They knew if he was the champion it was liscense to print money so they needed him to be there as soon as possible,same with Brock. But they were already GOLD. You either are,or you aren't. Or somehow,inexplicably you go through a late career change,like Chael,but that's rare. Im sure when UFC took one look at GSP they were like OH shit. You dont find guys like GSP on trees...just LOOK at that guy. Thus his 3rd ufc bout was for the title.

I'm inclined to agree on both fronts but maybe Smith is just better suited at 205 with his frame idk.. beating shad and shogun don't mean much to me these days

His KO of Shogun was phenomenal, but what I take issue with is how people want to write a particular narrative. "Oh, his losses at MW aren't relevant because of blah blah blah." Well, then neither are any of his victories, in which case he's 2-0 (against washed up fighters).

I don't mean to suggest that he isn't a fun fighter to watch - he is - but spare me this title talk. The guy is on a two fight win streak against old, broken down has beens.

They weren't pushing Smith. It was supposed to be an easy fight for Rua. However Rua shit the bed which he sometimes tends to do when the lights are bright.
Shogun was underdog. And this was supposed to be Shogun against Volkan

No UFC is not pushing Smith but i agree with you on the point that UFC doesnt know who to promote .

it does change the fact that this was supposed to be an easy win for Shogun when he isnt considered a favorite.. Also, most who have any idea about MMA knew this wasnt some gimme fight for Shogun as Smith is known for having KO power.
I get it. It was an even fight based on skillsets, age, etc. What I am getting at is ufc was probably looking past smith to setup dc vs rua. DC expected Rua to win thats why he mentioned him for his next fight.

He closed as the underdog but I assure you he didn't open as one and became the underdog when bets came in for Smith.
Fair enough but I don't think that this was supposed to be an easy fight for Shogun.

More likely a case of not having any idea what they are doing and just putting whoever is available on the card.

Yeah you can't underestimate those old boys. They bring a lot of experience to the table and still have their power but tonight another legend bit the dust. It was a good name on his resume.

Fair enough but I don't think that this was supposed to be an easy fight for Shogun.

More likely a case of not having any idea what they are doing and just putting whoever is available on the card.
Yeah I think so. I really wish Volkan was fighting Gus at 227.

Last edited:
I think that if Thiago Santos looked like Sage Northcutt he would have already have had a TS by now.

But sadly he looks like a trucker and sounds like the guy I buy steak from at the market, so he doesn't have the "it factor" but neither does Bobby Knuckles

latest

upload_2018-7-22_20-16-10.jpeg
disagree

Mate u have to let the guys go at it consistently and the cream will rise to the top.

Back