Is this the best the heavies has been in years?

Why are people suddenly forgetting about Ortiz? He was top 3 in most people's eyes before Wilder knocked him out, now he's not even being mentioned.
Oh, I guess I thought everyone was saying he was old after Wilder stopped him.

I guess I would say this era of HWs is fairly consistent with recent eras. A couple of guys who are better than everyone else and then a bunch of tough guy wannabes below them. Wilder and Joshua are the top guys there, then who is there? Big Baby or whatever he's called? That fat Polish Arreola? Joseph Parker is going to get ruined against Joshua. which will show the class difference with every guys like Ruiz and Li'l Fury.

Once Wilder vs Joshua gets sorted out and we know who's the the best. it'll be a noncompetitive division again.

YOU need a better attitude about this division, mister!

Because he turns 39 next week and he has a thin resume. Guys like Povetkin and Pulev are ahead of him in the pecking order at this point.

Povetkin is 38, and Pulev is 36. Ortiz is a better boxer than both of those guys. I have never understood why people think Pulev is very good.

Povetkin is 38, and Pulev is 36. Ortiz is a better boxer than both of those guys. I have never understood why people think Pulev is very good.

Povetkin and Pulev both have better amateur and pro credentials than Ortiz.
Ortiz just looks better because he's facing worse competition.

How dare you denigrate the name of Kubrat Pulev. I'm honestly disappointed in you rn, Nac. Please apologize, or I won't be able to guarantee your safety from some of the more shall we say, shady Pulev fanatics out there.

I'm not sure it's better. But I do think it's a lot more interesting. Klitschko really spoiled the division. It didn't really matter what any guy did, because it felt like a forgone conclusion that they'd lose to Wlad. With him out of the way now, it's not certain who the top dog is and we're getting fights that we otherwise wouldn't have (without a Klitschko payday awaiting, they need to fight each other to make money).

Povetkin and Pulev both have better amateur and pro credentials than Ortiz.
Ortiz just looks better because he's facing worse competition.

Can you explain what Pulev's professional accomplishments are?

Schooling Thompson and Chisora, KO'ing Dimitrenko and Ustinov.
I actually think Kubrat is the best hw in the world rn and probably would've beaten Wlad if they rematched right away. Think the first time was a fluke, tbh, and if you watch the replays those kd's were caused by initial slips b/c Wlad's an asshole and a cheater. Pulev doesn't fuck around, when he's on he puts both AJ and Deontay to sleep or gives them a painful 36min lesson of what true masters of a craft actually look like when they're working.

I actually think Kubrat is the best hw in the world rn and probably would've beaten Wlad if they rematched right away. Think the first time was a fluke, tbh, and if you watch the replays those kd's were caused by initial slips b/c Wlad's an asshole and a cheater. Pulev doesn't fuck around, when he's on he puts both AJ and Deontay to sleep or gives them a painful 36min lesson of what true masters of a craft actually look like when they're working.

He's probably past his best at this point, but I was high on him after he beat Thompson.
He was 32 then, but now he's 36.

2008-12 was deeper than 2013-present.

Wlad (Future Hall of Famer)
Vitali (Hall of Famer)
Sam Peter (Awkward powerhouse)
David Haye (Explosive and skilled - but better at cruiserweight)
Chagaev (Technical southpaw - Super Heavyweight World Amateur Champion)
Valuev (Easily the tallest, heaviest world champion ever - never got dropped, never convincingly lost)

...all of those guys peaked during that period.

The only elite guys to peak during 2013-present have been:

Joshua (No gas tank and B-level skills)
Fury (No discipline, lacks power for an elite heavyweight)
Wilder (C-level skills)

I guess this is why rhere are debates. . . . I would not include Chagaev, Haye, Peter or Valuev on any list.

I guess this is why rhere are debates. . . . I would not include Chagaev, Haye, Peter or Valuev on any list.

I'm not necessarily talking about their talent-level, so much as the momentum they'd built up during that period. They all went on nice little runs that only guys like Joshua, Fury and Wilder can match from this current crop.

Fury, lol. Joshua is much better than him. I would like to see Joshua smash Fury one day.

Yeah...
This.

Chagaev, Haye (at heavy), and Valuev are used as counter examples?

I'm not necessarily talking about their talent-level, so much as the momentum they'd built up during that period. They all went on nice little runs that only guys like Joshua, Fury and Wilder can match from this current crop.

I don't know, homie.

Chagaev never lived up to what he was supposed to be able to do.
Valuev primarily fought old vets that were shot.
And Haye, at heavy, beat overmatched guys with nice looking records. His two meaningful fights at heavy (Wlad and Valuev) were mind numbingly boring. Think of that: Haye was timid and cautious against Valuev. Aside from 1 big punch that fight was up there with Wlad vs Sultan Ibragimov

I don't know, homie.

Chagaev never lived up to what he was supposed to be able to do.
Valuev primarily fought old vets that were shot.
And Haye, at heavy, beat overmatched guys with nice looking records. His two meaningful fights at heavy (Wlad and Valuev) were mind numbingly boring. Think of that: Haye was timid and cautious against Valuev. Aside from 1 big punch that fight was up there with Wlad vs Sultan Ibragimov

I'm not talking about talent-level or entertainment-value. I'm simply talking resume.

Guys like Joseph Parker, Luis Ortiz, DIlian Whyte etc haven't built up their resumes in the same way Sam Peter, Haye, Valuev and Chagaev did during that 2007-10 period.

If the last crop of guys were so bad, then why are old guys from that era still in the mix?
Povetkin (38), Pulev (36) and Ortiz (38) are all arguably in the current top 5.

And by that same token, why did the younger guys from Lennox Lewis' era end up doing nothing in the mid-to-late 2000s?
Hasim Rahman and Shannon Briggs were lineal champions in what is now considered a golden age for heavyweight boxing.
Guys like Chris Byrd, John Ruiz and Michael Grant and David Tua were very much in the mix during that "golden era" of 1999-2003.
All of those guys were still young enough to be in mix from the mid-to-late 2000s, but they weren't.

Last edited:
I'm not talking about talent-level or entertainment-value. I'm simply talking resume.

Guys like Joseph Parker, Luis Ortiz, DIlian Whyte etc haven't built up their resumes in the same way Sam Peter, Haye, Chagaev and Valuev did during that 2008-12 period.

If the last crop of guys were so bad, then why are old guys from that era still in the mix?
Povetkin (38), Pulev (36) and Ortiz (38) are all arguably in the current top 5.

And by that same token, why did the younger guys from Lennox Lewis' era end up doing nothing in the mid-to-late 2000s?
Hasim Rahman and Shannon Briggs were lineal champions in what is now considered a golden age for heavyweight boxing.
Guys like Herbie Hide, David Tua and Michael Grant were very much in the mix during that "golden era".
All of those guys were still young enough to be in mix from the mid-to-late 2000s, but they weren't.

I hear ya.
Good point

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Gnuheart
Back