Is this the best reversal from bottom in UFC history?

GSP and eye pokes. Umm I don't recall it that way. Every fight they had was more competitive than say Alves/GSP or Fitch/GSP. Maybe BJ was just a less favorable matchup for GSP.

Clearly not given how the rematch was more one sided then either the Alves or Fitch fights. The eye poke was actually the reason GSP went to the hospital after the fight (Penn fans love bringing that up)

I can't remember a roll from back mount to guard in the fight, and i watched it again. Which round are you talking about when this took place?

Of course i seriously looked it up. I always try and source my opinions. I then went and watched the back take in question (round 3) and it looks like it would score contrary to your previous claim.

"Maia’s fault for not holding the back mount. You don’t get points for that in a bjj match" This is the quote from you i'm working with.
Maia takes jake shields back. Jake Shields’s monkey rolls into Maia’s guard. No points for being on top. Not that it matters in an mma fight.

BJ was good, but he morphed quickly into the Cryin Hawiian and became a mediocre fighter because ____________ (*fill in the blank*).

BJ fanboys...

upload_2018-12-5_15-59-18-gif.482945

Damn! Who's the guy on the bottom?

Well...it regressed somewhat because, if I am being honest, back before 2012 everyone was on steroids, which provided us with a hell of a lot "holy ****" moments, but on the flip side of the coin, back between say 2002-2008 or so, MMA was no where near as popular so most fighters didnt just do this for a living and train 24/7. They had other jobs and MMA was a side job.

Case in point: Penn was the exception. He came form a wealthy family, which allowed him the (back then) rare opportunity to train full time in a time when that was unheard of. That MUST have given him an edge over his opponents.

Nowadays you have these lab grown killers that live, breathe, and ***** this stuff, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Training camps are full time 3-4 months jobs preparing for just a specific, single opponent. They are completely different kinds of beasts.

I hear MMA was slightly popular in Japan....

I honestly don't care if you a blue , black, or red belt. People say dumb or incorrect things all the time.

Honestly, I feel that it is you who doesnt even have a basic concept of grappling. Do you train?

Yeah. I’m a brown belt in jiu jitsu, but I know that having both a black belt and a brown belt tell you that you don’t know what you’re talking about here in this context means nothing in the face of the awesome scope of wisdom you have at blue belt.

Here’s the thing though: what you’re saying isn’t exactly inaccurate, it just lacks entirely an understanding of the nuance of what’s happening in that sequence (and, probably, most grappling sequences).

It’s like how you criticized BJ for crossing his feet when he has back control. You’re not wrong that he can be attacked from there, but do you really think he doesn’t know that ? That he hasn’t weighed those risks against thousands of hours on the mats ?

I get it. Your professor told you something, and now it’s gospel, and here you are with the word of the lord to correct all the moron grapplers at other schools who don’t have the knowledge you do. But I have a piece of advice for you as well, sunshine: you don’t know everything yet, and it’s going to have a longer-term negative impact on your grappling and life to carry that know-it-all attitude than adopting an inquisitive, respectful attitude.

Maia takes jake shields back. Jake Shields’s monkey rolls into Maia’s guard. No points for being on top. Not that it matters in an mma fight.

Well yeah MMa fight makes the whole thing moot.

Jake said his tactic was to roll as soon as he got in the bad position cause if you let Maia get it locked in you're fucked, so as soon as you felt he was getting anywhere , scramble out.

Worked a treat.

Yeah. I’m a brown belt in jiu jitsu, but I know that having both a black belt and a brown belt tell you that you don’t know what you’re talking about here in this context means nothing in the face of the awesome scope of wisdom you have at blue belt.

Here’s the thing though: what you’re saying isn’t exactly inaccurate, it just lacks entirely an understanding of the nuance of what’s happening in that sequence (and, probably, most grappling sequences).

It’s like how you criticized BJ for crossing his feet when he has back control. You’re not wrong that he can be attacked from there, but do you really think he doesn’t know that ? That he hasn’t weighed those risks against thousands of hours on the mats ?

I get it. Your professor told you something, and now it’s gospel, and here you are with the word of the lord to correct all the moron grapplers at other schools who don’t have the knowledge you do. But I have a piece of advice for you as well, sunshine: you don’t know everything yet, and it’s going to have a longer-term negative impact on your grappling and life to carry that know-it-all attitude than adopting an inquisitive, respectful attitude.

Thats nice, does that last bit of advice apply to you too or did you long winded holier than thou rant take precedence?

And when did I critisize BJ for crossing his feet from the back? Don't even remember what that is about

Well as a blue belt I recommend you go train somewhere else. Where I train if I stick my ****ing head into someones side while in his guard like that my professor would choke the living shit out of me later on to teach me a lesson

Let me clarify something as I know I am being a couch warrior right now: This is an MMA fight and Hughes might have been tired and worn out and even the best make mistakes at that point, and BJ capitalized on it. Kudos for him, but do you honestly, truly, genuinely believe even a decent blue belt would shift their weight right into an opponents side like that while in his full guard?

When you train you don't have to worry about getting punched and elbowed in the face. Not the same. He wasn't shifting his weight into his side, he threw an elbow and BJ capitalized

Honestly bud I stopped arguing with BJ deluded nut huggers a long time ago. The guy has always been just at the right place at the right time and nothing more. He was great in a time of mediocire fighters who wouldn't even crack top 10 in todays crop of fighters but all I ever get from you guys is "but he fought Machida at like Super heavyweight bro!!!111"
Yeah, right place right time with that BJJ world championship of 3 years of training too right?

LoL

Forest Griffin sweep on tito ortiz nov 2009 fight

Thats nice, does that last bit of advice apply to you too or did you long winded holier than thou rant take precedence?
It does to people who show respect in the first place, not to the ones who dismiss the opinions of others immediately (the fact that he’s a fucking literal EXPERT in the subject matter is just icing on the cake). You’re a walking caricature of a know-it-all blue belt that people who have done BJJ for a long time have all experienced before. You’re the punchline to a bad joke and you’ll either quit BJJ before purple and still act like you know everything there is to know, or one day you’ll realize just how embarrassing your behaviour is here.

I thought the sweep moose hit on machida was nice.

Nope this is the best reversal from looking at a bottom in UFC history

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Minotauro did an amazing sweep on culture I wish I had the gyf

machida when bj fought him probably wasn't even in the top 30 lol stahp it.
But he could finish Franklin and Bonnar and not Penn?

You're completely ignoring the talent of both at that point

My point still stands though:

Of all those people he beat, can you honestly pretend any of them would even break top 10 in todays field of elite fighters? Who? Gomi? Pulver who had to end his career at BANTAMWEIGHT to even stay competitive?

BJ Penn's record and wins seem pedantric at best compared to someone like Khabib or Hendo or Pettis or RDA or any of those elite names who fought when the pool was full of sharks and not just fish

I’ve seen this train of thought over and over. Always about how the next group of fighters is levels better than before. A lot of time it fails to be true.

When Bendo became champ, he was called GOAT. When Pettis became champ, same. Every one of their wins were considered to be against top notch competition, of which no one has seen before.

The truth is, years down the road, they’ll lose. The people that they beat begin to lose. They and their record doesn’t look as good as it used to.

Look at Muhammad Ali. He has an extensive record. Most of them against the best at the time. 61 fights and most people only recall a handful of them.

Some people do live in the past but many are guilty of being too focused on the present.

We can’t call Khabib the GOAT and overrate his wins until later when it proves to be true.

Back