Is this the best music video?

I find Jackson hard to watch; so Thriller isn't even watchable for me.

Michael Jackson is one of the greatest performers in the history of music. He didn't rise to King of Pop status for nothing.

I forced myself through it and it's a short film that's influenced directly from Teen Wolf with high production value for a music video.

But Thriller was released in 1983 and Teen wolf came out in 1985. If there was an influence, it was the other way around.

Not like that dance sequence is earth shattering either. Is it a great music video? Sure. Is it the best? Not even close.

It's pretty damn good. And you also have to understand it in the context of its time.

Michael Jackson is one of the greatest performers in the history of music. He didn't rise to King of Pop status for nothing.

Performer in music? That says it all in my opinion. If the music doesn't stand above the dancing and antics there's nothing to discuss the artist is just plain average and should be involved in musical plays instead.

But Thriller was released in 1983 and Teen wolf came out in 1985. If there was an influence, it was the other way around.
It's pretty damn good. And you also have to understand it in the context of its time.

It is pretty damn good.

And good call on the dates, you're right. It's not fair for me to compare anything Jackson did to anything because I plain don't like the guy. It's pretty awesome that he might of influenced a fairly good movie.

So it's a guy walking down the street?

No more than Raging Bull was about boxing.

There's a lot to appreciate there and it's a single scene shoot. His focus is forward and that means walking through people and upsetting a lot of people on the way.

It's not fair for me to compare anything Jackson did to anything because I plain don't like the guy.

Well I think that's the crux of the matter. If you are just biased against him then obviously you're not going to judge his work fairly.

It's pretty awesome that he might of influenced a fairly good movie.

You were right that a movie was an influence on the video, you were just wrong about the movie.

It was influenced by An American Werewolf in Paris. In fact, John Landis directed both.

There's a lot to appreciate there and it's a single scene shoot. His focus is forward and that means walking through people and upsetting a lot of people on the way.

I'm not saying it's a poor video or anything. But conceptually, I don't think it particularly stands out either.

Frankly, I felt the same about the vid you posted in the OP. The production values are obviously high and it has a nice visual look, but other than that, I don't understand what you found so interesting that you felt compelled to ask a question like, "Is this the best music video?"

Good thing I'm here to save this thread. This is the best music video.

This one is up there. When this came on MTV, everybody stopped talking about what they were talking about and starting giving their theories on how it was made:

Frankly, I felt the same about the vid you posted in the OP. The production values are obviously high and it has a nice visual look, but other than that, I don't understand what you found so interesting that you felt compelled to ask a question like, "Is this the best music video?"

I really haven't seen anything in this thread that is an order of magnitude better.

The video in the OP's setting is aesthetically superior to anything else posted here. Outside of something in blade-runner-esque Tokyo you'd have a hard time competing with the old west / modern Mexico feel presented there. You have the traditional family, lust, and religion discussed in that video as well. The way the band was presented was pretty interesting as well.

Do you dislike the band?

Fuck that, any Primus videos or The Talking Heads "Wild, Wild Life". With one of our finest actors, Mr. John Goodman singing when he was a no one. Also, part of a larger movie that David Byrne made about the weird ass people that live the lives of tabloid stories.

I really haven't seen anything in this thread that is an order of magnitude better.

The video in the OP's setting is aesthetically superior to anything else posted here. Outside of something in blade-runner-esque Tokyo you'd have a hard time competing with the old west / modern Mexico feel presented there. You have the traditional family, lust, and religion discussed in that video as well. The way the band was presented was pretty interesting as well.

Do you dislike the band?

I have no strong feelings about the band either way. Their first album was okay.

I guess the story being told in that video did nothing for me. I posted Suicidal Tendencies' You Can't Bring Me Down. It's anti-authoritarian theme and early 90s aesthetic is far more interesting to me, personally.

The production values are obviously high and it has a nice visual look
I have no strong feelings about the band either way. Their first album was okay.

I guess the story being told in that video did nothing for me. I posted Suicidal Tendencies' You Can't Bring Me Down. It's anti-authoritarian theme and early 90s aesthetic is far more interesting to me, personally.

Solid point. Highly dependent on personal preference; I feel nothing for the early 90's California aesthetic.

I find old Mexico interesting because it's a bit like looking into America's past both in aesthetic and spirit.

Back