Is this school legit?

but if you're looking for a sport-oriented, hard rolling kind of place, this is not the place for you.

How so? Just curious...I mean all BJJ gyms roll "hard"? (free rolling for last 15-45 minutes of class or whatever) - there's no non-hard rolling in my experience unless you agree to flow or whatever...and not all that many gyms from my understand focus exclusively on sport-only stuff drilling berimbolo and worm guard while omitting basic butterfly/half/closed-guard etc etc

How so? Just curious...I mean all BJJ gyms roll "hard"? (free rolling for last 15-45 minutes of class or whatever) - there's no non-hard rolling in my experience unless you agree to flow or whatever...and not all that many gyms from my understand focus exclusively on sport-only stuff drilling berimbolo and worm guard while omitting basic butterfly/half/closed-guard etc etc

Places that don't hard roll usually won't let you roll on the first day.

When I was school shopping a few months ago, I tried like 3-4 different grappling schools.

One BJJ place I went dodged me. I took their class, then wasn't allowed to roll with their white belts, cause I'm a white belt. The two purple belts wouldn't make eye contact with me during the rolling portion. I only rolled with an old man blue belt who got his belt from another school. Their technique was naive and I wasn't impressed, but they went hard. They were just bad / scared.

I went to another place where the head man took one look at me and decided I was fine to ignore. I took the class, then rolled with whoever. He didn't even monitor me. His middling purple belt wrecked me and then he got around to it after he rolled with he upper belts. They were beasts and they rolled hard.

So anyway, when "the school doesn't roll hard" it is sort of like Karate guys not sparring with outsiders. It is because they don't have real confidence from actually being good. They have fake confidence from narcissistic pageant culture where you line up with your belts and kiss ass.

never knew you can get black belt in Thai Boxing

Places that don't hard roll usually won't let you roll on the first day.

When I was school shopping a few months ago, I tried like 3-4 different grappling schools.

One BJJ place I went dodged me. I took their class, then wasn't allowed to roll with their white belts, cause I'm a white belt. The two purple belts wouldn't make eye contact with me during the rolling portion. I only rolled with an old man blue belt who got his belt from another school. Their technique was naive and I wasn't impressed, but they went hard. They were just bad / scared.

I went to another place where the head man took one look at me and decided I was fine to ignore. I took the class, then rolled with whoever. He didn't even monitor me. His middling purple belt wrecked me and then he got around to it after he rolled with he upper belts. They were beasts and they rolled hard.

So anyway, when "the school doesn't roll hard" it is sort of like Karate guys not sparring with outsiders. It is because they don't have real confidence from actually being good. They have fake confidence from narcissistic pageant culture where you line up with your belts and kiss ass.

It is common to not let white belts take on new comers on the mats.

It is usually an issue of safety instead of being scared that your students could lose during sparring.

We usually ask the visitors if he wants to roll. Based on his experience and weigh, we will match him up for the safety of everyone.

Since we have limited in take, I have a few lower ranks that are keen on fresh meat. Not necessarily, the right people for your first roll has most peoole do not like being put against the ropes in their first class.

Your case might different as you already train in the past.

You might be a big unit and that is why they are avoiding you.

they don't have a .org site so they're rubbish.

In Brazil it is common place to have a belt ranking for Muay Thai.

The first place I trained at we didn't roll that hard all the time. The instructor commonly encouraged us to treat rolling like a game and to try to figure out what was happening. He was also concerned we would injure ourselves if we trained hard. It was very different from my current school were people roll hard all the time.

Gene Dunn and Brian Glick train regularly under John Danaher. Brian is one of John's first black belts and has been his primary uke for years. He's also one of the best grapplers I've ever seen and is one of those unknown, noncompetitive guys who shreds some of the best out there when they come in. (Believe that or not, I don't care -- I'm not trying to turn this into yet another discussion about the merits of competing vs not.)

I won't speak to the quality or nature of their academies, but I can attest to their chops and pedigree as teachers and grapplers.

Gene Dunn and Brian Glick train regularly under John Danaher. Brian is one of John's first black belts and has been his primary uke for years. He's also one of the best grapplers I've ever seen and is one of those unknown, noncompetitive guys who shreds some of the best out there when they come in. (Believe that or not, I don't care -- I'm not trying to turn this into yet another discussion about the merits of competing vs not.)

I won't speak to the quality or nature of their academies, but I can attest to their chops and pedigree as teachers and grapplers.

well his running a mcdojo it seems.

The first place I trained at we didn't roll that hard all the time. The instructor commonly encouraged us to treat rolling like a game and to try to figure out what was happening. He was also concerned we would injure ourselves if we trained hard. It was very different from my current school were people roll hard all the time.

That's really fascinating, I didn't know there were gyms that encouraged that. I've always rolled as hard my cardio could handle (always trying to figure out new ways of improving that), unless flow rolling. Now, there's a difference in my mind between rolling HARD and rolling ROUGH - I roll as hard as possible and generally am pretty fatigued but I don't roll rough - I try to watch out for my training partners etc.

As far as newcomers - people brand new to BJJ do positional sparring (full resistance rolling starting in guard or side control or whatever we are working on) until they get a little more experience. I do notice that newcomers usually roll with one of our black belts or upper belts first.

Last edited:
My first school was different from others I have encountered over the years. Places I have visited all tended to roll hard with each other and my current school does as well. I think the students tend to learn more with hard rolling and it was a bit of an adjustment for me when I changed schools. The intensity level was never that high at my first school normally. It just wasn't the instructor's philosophy or approach.

I understand what you mean by rolling hard and being rough. We'll roll really hard and once there is a sub or choke locked in we slow down. Generally we don't crank finishes or do jerky things like knee on throat. We all want our training partners to be able to come back the next class.

We also tend to not put newcomers together right away. Beginners get a more advanced student to work with until they get a better sense of what is going on.

Someone pointed me to this thread! Used to be a regular poster but since then just been lurking.

Lots of good training in NYC and different styles for different folks.

If you are looking for high quality, honest, hard training.. check out my school masterskya. Also with the way we run things it's very accessible to anyone.

Thanks Ed and for the shout!

Masterskya.com for more info and you'll find an email there if you want to chat more.

Someone pointed me to this thread! Used to be a regular poster but since then just been lurking.

Lots of good training in NYC and different styles for different folks.

If you are looking for high quality, honest, hard training.. check out my school masterskya. Also with the way we run things it's very accessible to anyone.

Thanks Ed and for the shout!

Masterskya.com for more info and you'll find an email there if you want to chat more.

looks like a great place!

Well if poster meant you could do one or the other, well they are the same thing. But if he meant TB, otherwise known as MT, then I guess it would be ok. I was j/king around anyway.

saw this stuff on reddit

Only buying Giis from them:
Dont' compete:
Dont visit other school when ur on vacation or ever :

Well, that's some serious horse shit right there. His skills might be unquestionable, but he's pretty sleezy.

i want a pure competitive BJJ school no self defense BS. Pure hardcore roll around brooklyn area and i want there to be classes around the clock or free roll.

The foundation of BJJ is self-defense.

You sound like a white belt noob also

Back