Is this school legit?

AEMD

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
http://brooklynbjj.com/

I cant find anything bjj related to any of the coaches there.
The school also wants you to only buy a gii from there. They also discourage their students to compete and to visit other schools. Are these red flags?

Last edited:
Fun read. The staff got their jiu jitsu black belts from Gene Dunn, who advertises his karate gym: http://www.dunnsdojo.com/our-people/ . I can’t imagine anyone with a legitimate bjj belt past purple, being more proud of their karate than their jiujitsu. Dunn does claim to have gotten his black belt from Renzo Gracie. If that is true, then he should be good, and his people should be good.

They also have their muay boxing black belts. Muay Thai generally doesn’t have a belt system. Since their staff is claiming black belts both in bjj and thai boxing, I presume their bjj belt is at least as legitimate as their muay thai belt. [which is to say - questionable]

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure Gene Dunn and Brian Glick are both Renzo black belts, but I'm not sure which school they actually teach at.

I took one class at the school that is just east of Bay Ridge (I don't remember what it's called, but it's part of their network) and it wasn't a terrible experience. It definitely didn't have the intensity of the other schools I tried.

I was only there once, but I didn't hear anything about their people avoiding competitions. I'm not saying it's not true, I just didn't hear it.

I tried just about every place in Brooklyn (well, all the places along the R line), so I might be able to help if you have questions about other places.

Edit: I also just saw on their site that one of their instructors is a black belt in muay thai. That's always kind of a red flag to me.

saw this stuff on reddit

Only buying Giis from them:
Dont' compete:
Dont visit other school when ur on vacation or ever :

there aren't belts in thai boxing or muay thai so that's definitely a red flag

I'm pretty sure Gene Dunn and Brian Glick are both Renzo black belts, but I'm not sure which school they actually teach at.

I took one class at the school that is just east of Bay Ridge (I don't remember what it's called, but it's part of their network) and it wasn't a terrible experience. It definitely didn't have the intensity of the other schools I tried.

I was only there once, but I didn't hear anything about their people avoiding competitions. I'm not saying it's not true, I just didn't hear it.

I tried just about every place in Brooklyn (well, all the places along the R line), so I might be able to help if you have questions about other places.

Edit: I also just saw on their site that one of their instructors is a black belt in muay thai. That's always kind of a red flag to me.

i want a pure competitive BJJ school no self defense BS. Pure hardcore roll around brooklyn area and i want there to be classes around the clock or free roll.

They seem rather shady TS I don't think they are what you are looking for.

dunn is. glick is under dunn. it seems dunn is giving out black belts like food stamps.

i want a pure competitive BJJ school no self defense BS. Pure hardcore roll around brooklyn area and i want there to be classes around the clock or free roll.

I don't think you're going to find that in Brooklyn. There are a few pure BJJ places, but I can't think of any that have classes all day like Renzo's or Marcelo's.

Pete Lawson has a school near Barclays, (it's probably closer to the Nevins or DeKalb stops), but their schedule doesn't fit what you're looking for. To be clear, Lawson is probably going to be the best instructor you can find in Brooklyn, so you might want to at least check it out.

Park Slope BJJ had a good vibe, but they make everyone recite a creed at the beginning of class, so that was kind of weird (it's run by a couple brown belts). All around, the people weren't on the level of the other places in the city, but they weren't bad and there was actually room to move around when you roll.

Birdman BJJ is really close to the Union Street R train stop, but they don't offer nearly as many classes as you seem to want. The level of instruction seemed pretty good, but I don't know anything about the guys who compete.

I'm not sure where you live, but the Renzo Gracie Fight Academy in Williamsburg has everything you're looking for. Because of its location, it's easier for me to get to the schools in Manhattan (you have to take the G, L, or a bus).

I think those are the only other places I've tried in Brooklyn, so I hope it helps a little.

I don't think you're going to find that in Brooklyn. There are a few pure BJJ places, but I can't think of any that have classes all day like Renzo's or Marcelo's.

Pete Lawson has a school near Barclays, (it's probably closer to the Nevins or DeKalb stops), but their schedule doesn't fit what you're looking for. To be clear, Lawson is probably going to be the best instructor you can find in Brooklyn, so you might want to at least check it out.

Park Slope BJJ had a good vibe, but they make everyone recite a creed at the beginning of class, so that was kind of weird (it's run by a couple brown belts). All around, the people weren't on the level of the other places in the city, but they weren't bad and there was actually room to move around when you roll.

Birdman BJJ is really close to the Union Street R train stop, but they don't offer nearly as many classes as you seem to want. The level of instruction seemed pretty good, but I don't know anything about the guys who compete.

I'm not sure where you live, but the Renzo Gracie Fight Academy in Williamsburg has everything you're looking for. Because of its location, it's easier for me to get to the schools in Manhattan (you have to take the G, L, or a bus).

I think those are the only other places I've tried in Brooklyn, so I hope it helps a little.

how much self defense nonsense does renzo gracie have?

Fun read. The staff got their jiu jitsu black belts from Gene Dunn, who advertises his karate gym: http://www.dunnsdojo.com/our-people/ . I can’t imagine anyone with a legitimate bjj belt past purple, being more proud of their karate than their jiujitsu. Dunn does claim to have gotten his black belt from Renzo Gracie. If that is true, then he should be good, and his people should be good.

They also have their muay boxing black belts. Muay Thai generally doesn’t have a belt system. Since their staff is claiming black belts both in bjj and thai boxing, I presume their bjj belt is at least as legitimate as their muay thai belt. [which is to say - questionable]

It's not a "claim." Gene Dunn is one of Renzo's oldest American black belts. The guy was training bjj when you were still suckling your momma's ninny. His legitimacy isn't in question.

If you are looking for pure competitive BJJ in Brooklyn, check out Alex Echlin, who is legit as they come. Super cool guy who is really technical and no BS

http://masterskya.com

I've rolled with Gene Dunn before and he is legit at BJJ. I've just heard many strange things about his school that might make it not the best place to train

I'm pretty sure Brian Glick is John Danaher's first black belt. He was always John's uke during technique and used to teach classes in John's absence a couple of years ago, not sure how things work now. I've never been to Gene and Brian's school, but the classes they taught at Renzo's were top notch.

I can’t imagine anyone with a legitimate bjj belt past purple, being more proud of their karate than their jiujitsu.
I would agree that is generally true...but there is always the rare exception

festival-des-arts-martiaux-2015-671.jpg

It's not a "claim." Gene Dunn is one of Renzo's oldest American black belts. The guy was training bjj when you were still suckling your momma's ninny. His legitimacy isn't in question.
ya but he has promoted some questionable people, people that have never competed and people tied to his karate program.

If you are looking for pure competitive BJJ in Brooklyn, check out Alex Echlin, who is legit as they come. Super cool guy who is really technical and no BS

http://masterskya.com

Ugh. I forgot to add Alex's place (probably because it's new and I've never been there). I took classes from him when he was teaching at Coban's (he has a black belt from Shaolin) and he's excellent. The only thing I know about his new school is what I've seen on Instagram, but it looks nice and I'm sure you'll get great training there.

He told me that, at one point, he and another guy would each drill a single move 1000 times in a row to help learn it. That's an example of the type of training you might get.

dunn is. glick is under dunn. it seems dunn is giving out black belts like food stamps.

Glick actually got his black belt from the academy in Manhattan, not under Dunn. He trained a lot under John Danaher. Both are real black belts, but if you're looking for a sport-oriented, hard rolling kind of place, this is not the place for you.

Back