Is this girl a threat to JJ and Valentina?

executionermma

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Former Invicta champion Barb Honchak is 10-2 at pro MMA with her last lose being at 2010 and she looked phenomental today at TUF, maybe she can upset the eastern girls and be the face ot WFLW.

She has wins over Felice Herrig, Leslie Smith, Nina Ansaroff (Nunes girl), Roxanne Moddafferi and Vanessa Porto.

So what you think, champion material or the Little Warrior has no chance?​

barb-honchak-tuf-26-cast-video.jpg

Amazing.

A woman under the age of 70 named Barb.

I don't see anyone on the planet being a threat to JJ right now. But I love seeing her face the highest level competition possible. Who else is Joanna Champion gonna fight if she gets past Thug Rose?

Tough call. Barb Honchak is a really good grinder with decent striking and a slick ground game. Her takedowns aren't top notch though. Used to have good cardio too.

On Joanna Jedrzejczyk she might be able to deal with her but Jedrzejcyk's striking is better then what Honchak has had to deal with in the past and her takedown defense is quite good. (Jedrzejczyk's takedown defense with striking is probably going to be good too, she usually manages to get off good striking there even while in defense. Honchak is good there too.) At least size-wise it is a decent fight for Honchak as she wont be totally overpowered. It is a fight I am interested in but I sort of feel the Polish fighter has a slight edge unless the drop to 115lbs, for so long, impacts her strength.

Remember Jedrizejcyk was signed to Invicta at Flyweight before the UFC picked her up and she never fought for Invicta but she might have been a challenger if Barb hadn't stepped away, in part, due to many factors including Deana Bennett dropping down to Strawweight, Bennett had been the planned tittle challenger for Honchak during that time period.

On Valentina Shevchenko Honchak will be at a physical disadvantage. Shevchenko is much more explosive then most people, aside from Cat Zingano (at 130lbs), that Honchak has fought. (Edit. Since Shevchenko is more of a counter striker her superior striking might not play as big a role as Honchak will simply look to clinch, into the fence, then initiate a striking exchange.) However. Honchak is really good at grinding and Shevchenko has struggle some against grinding as seen by her fight with Pena. So Honchak does have a route to win that fight but I'd assume Shevchenko's camp will focus on that and her physicality will make it tough to translate clinching into necessarily winning. If Shevchenko can control who is where it might favor Shevchenko's MT over Honchak's grappling control. Still an interesting fight.

Lots of other interesting fights with different flyweights too.

Jennifer Maia is very tough (and well rounded). Vanessa Porto too (very aggressive and can knock opponents down or out). Porto was winning her fight with Maia until she busted her own nose slamming Maia to the mat in the second round (of five). Left Porto bleeding like a gutted pig.

Porto was also winning the third round (one to one rounds going into) against Agnieszka Niedzwiedcz until she jumped into her guard with about two minutes remaining and got herself into a guillotine and the fight stalled there for the rest of the round. Niedzwiedcz was very tired by that point and she was, sort of, lucky how that came about. Great fight.

And there are better TUF 26 fighters and others out there.

(Added a thought on fencing defense and offense. Corrections.)

Last edited:
I don't see anyone on the planet being a threat to JJ right now. But I love seeing her face the highest level competition possible. Who else is Joanna Champion gonna fight if she gets past Thug Rose?

At Strawweight these two are the most likely. .

Cynthia Calvillo and Tecia Torres are probably the next ones if they win their next fights and Joanna Jedrzejczyk sticks around for them.

I doubt Tecia Torres can do it but it is a fight. Perhaps if Torres can get Joanna to open up takedowns. Torres is pretty good at that. Good top control to but I like Joanna's takedown defense. Reach. Etc.

Calvillo would be interesting too. Kind of rushing that fight though. I'd prefer she get several more high profile wins first but the UFC will look for undefeated challengers (most likely) in my opinion.

No. She is late in her career and isn't really skillful in my opinion. Might be wrong though.

View media item 27349
Phew. Better have Dana check undercarriage. Check out that jawline and neck.

<41>
?

[<diva2]

I watched the show today also! Unfortunately!! She sucks. But the other chick was much worse. I hope they(ufc) doesn't intend to put these chicks on main cards!!
Yes, they will do that. There are 2 FLW girls fighting at main card of 216

@Thirdpres excellent breakdown of FLW division future bro, overall i agree but i still think Maia is the most well rounded fighter between her and Porto, Vanessa is inconsistent sometimes, against Kuma i don't think it was that competitive, i had 2-1 to Aga by a good margin

so far i'd say you're absolutely right about how Honchak fights would go with JJ/Valentina, but the next episodes might say otherwise, let's see

@Thirdpres excellent breakdown of FLW division future bro, overall i agree but i still think Maia is the most well rounded fighter between her and Porto, Vanessa is inconsistent sometimes, against Kuma i don't think it was that competitive, i had 2-1 to Aga by a good margin

so far i'd say you're absolutely right about how Honchak fights would go with JJ/Valentina, but the next episodes might say otherwise, let's see

Thanks executionrmma. Maia is really well rounded and tough. I agree that Porto can be more inconsistent but overall she is very tough and good too.

I'd felt it was 1-1 going into the third round with Agnieszka Niedzwiedz and she was clearly slowing down but I can see people liking round two for her. I felt that second round was very close unlike the first. That third round is the only time I've ever seen Niedzwiedz looking tired in a fight. Overall great fight between the two of them.

Looking forward to the next episode too.

Thanks executionrmma. Maia is really well rounded and tough. I agree that Porto can be more inconsistent but overall she is very tough and good too.

I'd felt it was 1-1 going into the third round with Agnieszka Niedzwiedz and she was clearly slowing down but I can see people liking round two for her. I felt that second round was very close unlike the first. That third round is the only time I've ever seen Niedzwiedz looking tired in a fight. Overall great fight between the two of them.

Looking forward to the next episode too.
yeah i think Kuma wasn't expecting that much of agression of Porto, she really fights at a different pace from most women, anyway that's a solid win and i can't wait until she faces Maia, who has been out for a long time..

Looks like Randy Couture with a wig on.
<{nope}>

yeah i think Kuma wasn't expecting that much of agression of Porto, she really fights at a different pace from most women, anyway that's a solid win and i can't wait until she faces Maia, who has been out for a long time..

<{nope}>

Agreed.

JJ and Valentina are at least 2 good fights from 125 lbs title shot. Opposite to them Barb (hehe) is at this point very close to this title.
JJ will be able to fight at 125 lbs around second half of 2018.
Valentina said (or her manager) she will fight JJ or for title, no other option, so my guess we will wait a bit before she will fight as flyweight.
These specualtions are pointless. JJ will fight Rose at 217 and I don't remeber when last time she had easy title defence...
Valentina is coming from loss, not even close to title shot at 125 lbs.

JJ and Valentina are at least 2 good fights from 125 lbs title shot. Opposite to them Barb (hehe) is at this point very close to this title.
JJ will be able to fight at 125 lbs around second half of 2018.
Valentina said (or her manager) she will fight JJ or for title, no other option, so my guess we will wait a bit before she will fight as flyweight.
These specualtions are pointless. JJ will fight Rose at 217 and I don't remeber when last time she had easy title defence...
Valentina is coming from loss, not even close to title shot at 125 lbs.
How they are pointless? Both already said they're going to 125 and Barb was the queen of flyweight, it's logical assuming they will fight one day. I'm not saying this should happen soon.

Agnieszka Niedzwiedz is the one to watch. She looked off vs Porto but still won, and will no doubt continue improving.

Back