Is this gif proof of Machida's greasing ?

as a canadian gsp fan and a bj penn life long fan im butt hurt they used any grease at all in this fight putting it into question. So stupid the first fight was amazing why ruin that moment but putting an astrex next to this win forever
They didn't use grease. It was inadvertent, blame the UFC, they made Nurse apply the vaseline as well as being his cornerman.

I love bj, but this fight was so long ago its hard to care that much anymore. That said, it's a legtimate gripe. He dd cheat, whether it was intentional or not. But again, it's hard to care too much at this point.
GSP did nothing, and Nurse doing inadvertently is not cheating. Ultimately it was determined to have no effect on the fight and the UFC is the one who made Nurse apply vaseline by not having a guy there doing it.

I dont know man. You had Mayhem, Hughes, Sherk, BJ, and Kos say he was slippery and suspect. Those guys all have egos in a way but for all of them and come out and say that speaks some volume.

GSP is great and all but its suspect. Not trying to derail thread or start that huge flame war with opposing fanboys though.
He can eat foods that make him oily and slippery all day long if he wants. There is no rule against it. There is no evidence GSP did it, but if he did, it's completely legal and fine.

They didn't use grease. It was inadvertent, blame the UFC, they made Nurse apply the vaseline as well as being his cornerman.
i still put blame on his corner for being stupid. Whos fault the stupid huiman was there to beging with is a different debate, but Nurse has been around the fight game long enough to know better

i still put blame on his corner for being stupid. Whos fault the stupid huiman was there to beging with is a different debate, but Nurse has been around the fight game long enough to know better
I have no problem with someone blaming his corner. My problem is how do you blame GSP who did literally nothing wrong. Whether it had any impact or not Nurse made a mistake there is no doubt. Nurse making a mistake =/= GSP cheating. Even if you want to go beyond what the evidence shows, and claim Nurse intended to cheat, Nurse cheating =/= GSP cheating.

GSP did nothing, and Nurse doing inadvertently is not cheating. Ultimately it was determined to have no effect on the fight and the UFC is the one who made Nurse apply vaseline by not having a guy there doing it.

I wasn't following too closely when it happened. I don't know the details of how it was decided to not have an affect on the fight. But it can't be argued that GSP was greased in that fight and there was a fair bit of grappling in it.

When I say it's a legitimate gripe I mean that it happened and shouldn't be dismissed so readily. I'm not trying to call GSP a cheater ot say it was intentional.

I wasn't following too closely when it happened. I don't know the details of how it was decided to not have an affect on the fight. But it can't be argued that GSP was greased in that fight and there was a fair bit of grappling in it.

When I say it's a legitimate gripe I mean that it happened and shouldn't be dismissed so readily. I'm not trying to call GSP a cheater ot say it was intentional.
I have never heard anyone say they thought BJ had any chance to win that fight if that never occurred. Even his mom knows he didn't. BJ sent in a formal complaint and the NSAC dismissed it saying it had no bearing on the fight iirc.

I have never heard anyone say they thought BJ had any chance to win that fight if that never occurred. Even his mom knows he didn't. BJ sent in a formal complaint and the NSAC dismissed it saying it had no bearing on the fight iirc.

I still find that confusing. How can anyone know what would have happened when george was in bjs guard if he wasn't greased? Maybe I'll watch it again

I still find that confusing. How can anyone know what would have happened when george was in bjs guard if he wasn't greased? Maybe I'll watch it again
Because it was wiped off leaving only incidental amounts (which you can put on yourself anyways, look at Anderson Silva fights) .. not to mention the grease would have HAMPERED his ability to control BJ, not helped it.

"moving in reverse while on the ground, while still using his upper body and hips to avoid being held down"

Uh, yeah, that is what scrambling is. And moving in reverse = moving hips away.

I don't think Machida was greasing, Mousasi just didn't hold on to his right leg tightly plus body sweat and Mousasi went hard to his knees, kinda overextended which benefited Machida.

right, but that incident led to a change in who is allowed into the cage, with fighters forced to use official cutmen. The referee wiping GSP off with a towel and ruling that his skin was ok is hardly proof of innocence lol.

should they let referees flush out fighters systems when they fail a drugs test too?

I have no problem with someone blaming his corner. My problem is how do you blame GSP who did literally nothing wrong. Whether it had any impact or not Nurse made a mistake there is no doubt. Nurse making a mistake =/= GSP cheating. Even if you want to go beyond what the evidence shows, and claim Nurse intended to cheat, Nurse cheating =/= GSP cheating.
well i mean the end result of Nurse's mistake in turn could have benefited GSP, so if it would have got to the point of someone taking punishment for the action i could see how they would have taken the W away from him. But it never got to that point anyway since they determined it was significant enough to change the result. Would have sucked for gsp to be punished for his fuck up for sure tho

right, but that incident led to a change in who is allowed into the cage, with fighters forced to use official cutmen. The referee wiping GSP off with a towel and ruling that his skin was ok is hardly proof of innocence lol.

should they let referees flush out fighters systems when they fail a drugs test too?
Why would we need proof of innocence? If someone robs a store do you need to prove you are innocent or do they need to prove you guilty? A similar analogy would be me out with a friend, and they walk out of the store with an item in their cart that was missed by the cashier. There is no evidence anyone was trying to steal, and if they were, how am I guilty of anything? Now add in that someone noticed it and the item was paid for before we left. It becomes a non-issue.

Why are you comparing a fighter intentionally taking steroids to GSP who did literally nothing?

The incident led to a change that should have already have been the norm. Because even if you do not intend to do anything wrong, the system they had in place would lead to it happening.

Why would we need proof of innocence? If someone robs a store do you need to prove you are innocent or do they need to prove you guilty? A similar analogy would be me out with a friend, and they walk out of the store with an item in their cart that was missed by the cashier. There is no evidence anyone was trying to steal, and if they were, how am I guilty of anything? Now add in that someone noticed it and the item was paid for before we left. It becomes a non-issue.

Why are you comparing a fighter intentionally taking steroids to GSP who did literally nothing?

The incident led to a change that should have already have been the norm. Because even if you do not intend to do anything wrong, the system they had in place would lead to it happening.
so a guy accused of greasing (by 5 opponents?) then get's vaseline rubbed into the area BJ Penn's entire game plan revolved around (seeing as GSP's plan was obviously to put BJ on his back) and you think it's the same as accidentally leaving an item in the wrong shopping trolley?

pfffffffffffftt

Being greasy makes control more difficult. GSP wanted to control BJ. It's why Silva greases himself against grapplers.
Gsp as the controler benefits more from the grease then bj would as the controle. Especially with how bj applies the high rubber gaurd when people are ontop of him and given gsp being a top heavy comfortable in the gaurd type fighter, in this situation the grease definitely benefited him more then bj. But i get your concept for sure

Gsp as the controler benefits more from the grease then bj would as the controle. Especially with how bj applies the high rubber gaurd when people are ontop of him and given gsp being a top heavy comfortable in the gaurd type fighter, in this situation the grease definitely benefited him more then bj. But i get your concept for sure
I disagree, which is why Silva used it to help prevent Chael from having top control of him. It would hurt BJ if his goal was to sit in guard (maybe) ... not if his goal was to scramble and get up.

My opinion. Either way, there is zero evidence Machida did anything and zero GSP did anything.

BJ Penn's entire game plan revolved around
That's a losing game plan as BJ had zero subs off his back and the idea he would sub GSP is laughable. Basically all you did was make stuff up and use conjecture with zero support for anything you said.
GSP can make himself greasy with food etc beore the fight. There is no rule against having oily skin. There is no evidence GSP did anything, but if he did, it's perfectly legal.

That's a losing game plan as BJ had zero subs off his back and the idea he would sub GSP is laughable. Basically all you did was make stuff up and use conjecture with zero support for anything you said.
GSP can make himself greasy with food etc beore the fight. There is no rule against having oily skin. There is no evidence GSP did anything, but if he did, it's perfectly legal.
  1. The excessive use of grease or any other foreign substance may not be used on the face or body of an unarmed combatant. The referees or the Commission shall cause any excessive grease or foreign substance to be removed.
If BJ Penn was "never" gonna submit GSP, why bother rubbing the vaseline over that area at all? like I said, the rest of the world may have known BJ stood no chance, but clearly GSP's corner weren't so confident. BJ isn't known for intelligent gameplans anyway is he? :)

Back