IS THIS A PHENOMENAL FIGHTING STYLE FOR MMA?

Bobbybackpack

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I'm thinking of going into MMA and I've done a few months of NOGI BJJ. I'm enjoying it, learning a lot of useful things but I need to move on to do whats best for my UFC dream. I've also formally trained about 4 sessions of wrestling and I've learnt a lot of bjj, wrestling and MMA from Youtube but practictising, sparring and competing is crucial.

This is my plan: Two years of training wrestling and boxing (best bases for MMA) simultameously about 6 hours a week in each. Whilst adding in 2 hours of bjj and kicking a heavy bag at home just to start shin conditioning early so that checking leg kicks won't be a disaster.

I plan on competing in Wrestling tournaments as much as possible and at least one NOGI BJJ tournament during the two years. I'm also hoping to have a maximum of one Amateur Boxing match if necessary (saving my brain for MMA but Amateur boxers have some of the best boxing in MMA).

After all of that, I plan on competing in a few Amateur fights before hopefully having my first pro fight within 2 years after Amateur debut. By then I'll be focusing on all aspects of MMA (WRESTLING, BOXING, bjj, muay thai) and strength and conditioning (especially cardio).

"Jack of all trades, master of none." Because of this wise saying, I'll try to be as well rounded as necessary but with takedowns as my main weapon to master.
I predict my fighting style to be similar to GSP, Cain Velazquez, Frankie Edgar.

What do you think guys? Great fighting style?

I generally think there are little to no weaknesses in that style. Especially if your strength and conditioning is good. Standing up there's the boxing with kick defense and on the ground there's gnp with sub defense and offense.

Sounds like you might be starting a little late, but wrestling is the key to MMA.

Sounds like you might be starting a little late, but wrestling is the key to MMA.
Started training at 18, like most people. Plus watching fights has increased my fight IQ. All I now gotta do is go in there and learn before fighting.

Wrong Forum.

Ever heard of that style? I've been practicing Wrong Forum for a long time - I recently received my black belt from my master, Fug Ju Troll (asian dude).

Depends on how athletic you are, and how old you are, how well you take a punch, how quick of a learner you are etc...

You can start with posting a pic of yourself lol

Started training at 18, like most people. Plus watching fights has increased my fight IQ. All I now gotta do is go in there and learn before fighting.

Are you planning to compete in MMA?

Leg kicks + Leg locks = No can defend.
I said I'll start leg conditioning early and then do more Muay Thai as I begin to fight. Plus I'll be doing and have already started submission defense, this will include leg locks.

Work on having a great jab
Sometimes that's all you need.

I said I'll start leg conditioning early and then do more Muay Thai as I begin to fight. Plus I'll be doing and have already started submission defense, this will include leg locks.
Just imagine, destroying their thighs, legs, and then go for a kneebar or heel hook. JUST BLEED!

SInce you plan on having a wrestling based style, be advised you will be running into many opponents that have been wrestling since they were 8 years old. Anything is possible if you're a great athlete so good luck. Also wrong forum.

I'm thinking of going into MMA and I've done a few months of NOGI BJJ. I'm enjoying it, learning a lot of useful things but I need to move on to do whats best for my UFC dream. I've also formally trained about 4 sessions of wrestling and I've learnt a lot of bjj, wrestling and MMA from Youtube but practictising, sparring and competing is crucial.

This is my plan: Two years of training wrestling and boxing (best bases for MMA) simultameously about 6 hours a week in each. Whilst adding in 2 hours of bjj and kicking a heavy bag at home just to start shin conditioning early so that checking leg kicks won't be a disaster.

I plan on competing in Wrestling tournaments as much as possible and at least one NOGI BJJ tournament during the two years. I'm also hoping to have a maximum of one Amateur Boxing match if necessary (saving my brain for MMA but Amateur boxers have some of the best boxing in MMA).

After all of that, I plan on competing in a few Amateur fights before hopefully having my first pro fight within 2 years after Amateur debut. By then I'll be focusing on all aspects of MMA (WRESTLING, BOXING, bjj, muay thai) and strength and conditioning (especially cardio).

"Jack of all trades, master of none." Because of this wise saying, I'll try to be as well rounded as necessary but with takedowns as my main weapon to master.
I predict my fighting style to be similar to GSP, Cain Velazquez, Frankie Edgar.

What do you think guys? Great fighting style?
Huge if true

SInce you plan on having a wrestling based style, be advised you will be running into many opponents that have been wrestling since they were 8 years old. Anything is possible if you're a great athlete so good luck. Also wrong forum.
True but in MMA takedowns are set up with sttikes. If my opponents boxing isn't on my level I'll use that to set up the tskedown or tee off on them before they can takedowns. Four years of wrestling is enough to know how to stop takedowns and when striking is involved, this would work in my favour. Plus not many people wrestle a lot in the UK wrestle a lot. Even MMA fighters. It's just that I know a good MMA gym with plenty of wrestling so I'm lucky.

Lol Seriously though? Notice any weakness or unrealistic stuff.

Honestly my only feedback would be around timescales - you've said 2 years training, but I wouldn't put a limit on it, just keep pushing yourself and wait until you feel ready. Also get plenty of scrimmages and full contact in there so you can bed in those autopilot behaviours for when you get hit - i.e shooting, clinching etc.

Back