Is this a deliberate ploy by Till?

Homervanderjaz

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
He doesn’t drain himself the last 3/4 pounds so is in better shape for the fight. Expects WB to still take the fight and uses his weight advantage and the fact that the cut has taken less of a toll on him to beat WB.

Meaning despite missing weight he may be close to getting a title shot....

Quite possibly. We've all seen that there are very few repercussions to missing weight. Especially if you compare the benefits of winning a fight like this vs the 20% penalty.

Quite possibly. We've all seen that there are very few repercussions to missing weight. Especially if you compare the benefits of winning a fight like this vs the 20% penalty.
Yeh good point, Till has also been saying if he gets beat in his hometown he will be humiliated and people will say he is shit. So it wouldn’t surprise me.

I've been a hypocrite by supporting many fighters that have missed weight like Yoel, but Darren hasn't earned it yet. Taking out Cerrone on that fight card that no one was watching, means dick shit. That was the worst version we've ever seen of Cerrone and the guy has pretty much zero chin recovery after he gets dropped. Almost worse than Rockhold.

Darren Till just weighing in at a good weight if was fighting Stipe Miocic. The fight will go ahead. He doesn't care about making weight. Lots of people don't. Just cut some weight. Have a size advantage on your opponent and also have the advantage of not being extremely dehydrated. Lose 20% of your purse. Big deal.

I would like to add this method to the already classic methods of boosting chances of victory that never get punished.

Eye poke: you are allowed 1 free eye poke every fight. It is never punished. You may get 2 to make sure you blind your opponent.

Cage grab: you get at least 2 free fence grabs before losing a point.

Groin strike: again you get usually 2 free kicks full force to the opponents bollocks before the ref does anything. By this stage your opponent is crippled.

Miss weight: come in nice and fresh and bigger than your opponent who doesn't dare not take the fight or risk being black balled by Dana. Lose 20% of your purse but make way more in victory.

Don't forget back of the head strikes which are only illegal if they don't finish the fight (per Herb Dean).

giving your opponent 30% of your pay is a big deal.

Not to mention taxes, Till is going to make chump change for this fight.

If you get to the point your body can no longer lose any weight, it's not like you're going to be in peak shape 24 hours later.

Im sure he would have rather made the weight. It's probably not easy for him to get to 174.

Taking out Cerrone on that fight card that no one was watching, means dick shit. /QUOTE]

How does the amount of people watching have ANYTHING to do with it?

If you take out a top ten guy, you take out a top ten guy.

I've been a hypocrite by supporting many fighters that have missed weight like Yoel, but Darren hasn't earned it yet. Taking out Cerrone on that fight card that no one was watching, means dick shit. That was the worst version we've ever seen of Cerrone and the guy has pretty much zero chin recovery after he gets dropped. Almost worse than Rockhold.

I really botched that quote and have no way of editing it. So sorry. :oops:

No, he's not at an advantage by cutting 20 pounds or whatever and stopping a a pound or two out from the cutoff. The damage has been done at that point.

More eyes means more pressure. A lot of guys that kick ass on free cards choke on the big stage.

He just watched Dern get away with it so what kind of message did the UFC send? Now, UFC will pressure the hell out of WB to take the fight or never get another title shot. And as TS said, Till is fresher from not having to cut the last several pounds. UFC needs to make a stand or lose what little credibility it has on this issue.

Darren Till just weighing in at a good weight if was fighting Stipe Miocic. The fight will go ahead. He doesn't care about making weight. Lots of people don't. Just cut some weight. Have a size advantage on your opponent and also have the advantage of not being extremely dehydrated. Lose 20% of your purse. Big deal.

I would like to add this method to the already classic methods of boosting chances of victory that never get punished.

Eye poke: you are allowed 1 free eye poke every fight. It is never punished. You may get 2 to make sure you blind your opponent.

Cage grab: you get at least 2 free fence grabs before losing a point.

Groin strike: again you get usually 2 free kicks full force to the opponents bollocks before the ref does anything. By this stage your opponent is crippled.

Miss weight: come in nice and fresh and bigger than your opponent who doesn't dare not take the fight or risk being black balled by Dana. Lose 20% of your purse but make way more in victory.

I think Till would agree with you. Cutting weight in general should be illegal, according to Till.

“I ain’t no welterweigh,
I’m a light heavyweight in the welterweight division. It should be illegal, what I’m doing. The UFC should ban it but they can’t because I do it naturally and I do it professionally, and no one can do a fucking thing about it.”

Last edited:
I think Till would agree with you. Cutting weight in general should be illegal, according to Till.

“I ain’t no welterweigh,
I’m a light heavyweight in the welterweight division. It should be illegal, what I’m doing. The UFC should ban it but they can’t because I do it naturally and I do it professionally, and no one can do a fucking thing about it.”
From that quote to his sparring video, dude is an absolute moron.

Back