Is there anybody on the current UFC Heavyweight roster that Chael Sonnen could beat?

Yeah sure. Chael is a good wrestler. I dont think he physically works very well in USADA UFC though. Would take him a long time to adapt and then sure. He could beat some of the worst 170 guys. Maybe one or two 185 lb guys with bad ground game. Maybe more if theres been a recent TUF with 185lb guys.
I started to agree with you..... He would be most, not some of the worst 170s. He would takeout any 185 lbs fighters with weak wrestling.

Seriously, there are a handful of fighters who have been more successful than Chael at implementing MMA wrestling. He's been training a lot of BJJ the last number of years too.

He would have a 30+ pound weight advantage and I don't care if he's 39 or 40, he's gonna toss around anyone who isn't a better wrestler and make it look easy.

I understand if you don't like the guy, but you need to look at things objectively.

Derrick Lewis probably

not even joking, Chael is better on the ground than Tybura and could probably take Lewis down and keep him there.
Beast have beaten everyone who has tried to out grapple him.

You want to beat beast you have to stand toe to toe.

Chael isn't doing that.

I started to agree with you..... He would be most, not some of the worst 170s. He would takeout any 185 lbs fighters with weak wrestling.

Seriously, there are a handful of fighters who have been more successful than Chael at implementing MMA wrestling. He's been training a lot of BJJ the last number of years too.

He would have a 30+ pound weight advantage and I don't care if he's 39 or 40, he's gonna toss around anyone who isn't a better wrestler and make it look easy.

I understand if you don't like the guy, but you need to look at things objectively.
I neither like or dislike Chael.
He is pretty old and he would be under strict testing. I am pessimistic about how he would perform. If it was 6-7 years ago I would agree he would beat a lot of the 185 lb division and have a decent shot at bad tdd and ground game fighters above.

Thought about this as soon as I woke up, for some reason. Since Sonnen is in the Bellator Heavyweight Grand Prix, I began to wonder how he would do in the UFC's HW division.

Yes, he beat 250 lb Hampage handily, but the only actual HW Hampage faced was Ishii. Hampage has never looked good at Heavyweight.

How successful would Chael be against the UFC's heavyweights?
Chael_Sonnen_vs_Rampage_7.0.jpg
Maybe that Chinese HW that Cyril Asker beat.

Yaozong Hu?

Thought about this as soon as I woke up, for some reason. Since Sonnen is in the Bellator Heavyweight Grand Prix, I began to wonder how he would do in the UFC's HW division.

Yes, he beat 250 lb Hampage handily, but the only actual HW Hampage faced was Ishii. Hampage has never looked good at Heavyweight.

How successful would Chael be against the UFC's heavyweights?
Chael_Sonnen_vs_Rampage_7.0.jpg
Maybe Volkov and definitely Oleynik...
alexey_oleynik_n0tK6sE_OZZkF0o.jpg

...since Chael already beat him.
fyCYv8U.jpg

hes got good wrestling and those big boys have a hard time getting up sometimes.

He is a pretty good matchup against Hunt. Believe it or not, Chael has a knack for avoiding getting hit and getting in for takedowns. He also has amazing cardio. He just has to avoid hunts bombs and work a takedown or two early, then he'll ride it out.

Maybe Volkov and definitely Oleynik...
alexey_oleynik_n0tK6sE_OZZkF0o.jpg

...since Chael already beat him.
fyCYv8U.jpg
Volkov did pop up in my mind as he is so terrible on the ground. He has a significant reach advantage, however. I give Sonnen 25/75 chance of winning that one.

The highest ranked HW I can definitely see Sonnen beating is perhaps Andrei Arlovski

not under current USADA testing. I can't gauge what Chael would look like at this age without the chemical help

Back