Is there anybody on the current UFC Heavyweight roster that Chael Sonnen could beat?

TheBrownRanger

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Thought about this as soon as I woke up, for some reason. Since Sonnen is in the Bellator Heavyweight Grand Prix, I began to wonder how he would do in the UFC's HW division.

Yes, he beat 250 lb Hampage handily, but the only actual HW Hampage faced was Ishii. Hampage has never looked good at Heavyweight.

How successful would Chael be against the UFC's heavyweights?
Chael_Sonnen_vs_Rampage_7.0.jpg

Last edited:
Let's see him fight Mir first before speculating against other Heavyweights

I mean, it's HW. Of course there is.

Derrick Lewis probably

not even joking, Chael is better on the ground than Tybura and could probably take Lewis down and keep him there.

Most of the UFC HW's are part time fighters, many of them are police officers and security guards, and fireman. He could probably beat guys like Cyril Asker, Christian Colombo, Walt Harris, Rashad Coulter, Timothy Johnson, Marceol Golm and others, they are all so bad and only part time fighters. Tank Abbott would put these guys in a coma in his prime

I’d like to see a healthy Cain vs Chael. With Yamasaki as the ref.

Yes, of course. The UFC has 57 heavyweights under contract. Chael could beat at least 50% of them.

Chael beat oleksiy oliynyk.

Was a long time ago but it happened

Let's see him fight Mir first before speculating against other Heavyweights
Beating Mir doesn't prove much these days, sadly. I still think Mir could beat bottom barrel UFC fighters, though...

Edit: I agree with your post.

Chael's sub defense vs Oleinik's sweet subs... Crazy haha
Yeah you’d think Chael’s limbs would’ve been ripe for the plucking

Maybe it was one of those weird outdoor Bodog events where shit went sideways

USADA Chael can not beat anybody in the UFC 170 and up.
Probably not 155lb guys either. He is pretty old and I don't think very high testosterone production now. Too bad standing so would rely on low energy takedowns.

Probably not 155lb guys either. He is pretty old and I don't think very high testosterone production now. Too bad standing so would rely on low energy takedowns.
Chael vs Artem would be the war that ends all MMA wars.

Prob would beat Cyril Asker. Or the Chinese heavyweight they signed who lost to Asker

Chael is a great wrestler and would throw the majority of UFC Welterweights around like a rag doll today.

He weighs over 220 lbs in fight shape.

Colby is on a big win streak in the division and I would bet if they fought right now Chael would UD him.

Chael is a great wrestler and would throw the majority of UFC Welterweights around like a rag doll today.

He weighs over 220 lbs in fight shape.

Colby is on a big win streak in the division and I would bet if they fought right now Chael would UD him.
Yeah sure. Chael is a good wrestler. I dont think he physically works very well in USADA UFC though. Would take him a long time to adapt and then sure. He could beat some of the worst 170 guys. Maybe one or two 185 lb guys with bad ground game. Maybe more if theres been a recent TUF with 185lb guys.

Yeah sure. Chael is a good wrestler. I dont think he physically works very well in USADA UFC though. Would take him a long time to adapt and then sure. He could beat some of the worst 170 guys. Maybe one or two 185 lb guys with bad ground game. Maybe more if theres been a recent TUF with 185lb guys.

the chael hate is ridiculous lmao

Size advantage even in a USADA setting still gives chael a massive strength advantage. The only times he hasn't done well historically were times when the guys were legit BJJ black belts, or they were able to handle his physicality well. Most Welterweights would crumple under a double leg from chael and would not get up.

Back