Is there a 'starting strength' like program for cardio newbies?

Fatman1

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
That's all.

I've never see one. Except for maybe the couch to 5k running program.

Any suggestions?

cardio as in General Physical Preparedness? mma? boxing? muay thai? running? cycling?

There is the buddy lee jump rope training program if you can jump rope

you dont really need a starting strength for conditioning...its completely dependent on your goal...if mma is your goal you need to be doing a lot of exactly that mma practice

Hal Hidgon's got a bazillion novice race preps, Daniel's running formula....there's a lot of them. Depends on goal and what modalities you have available to you

The Base Building template in Tactical Barbell 2. Pick E sessions that are specific to your goal; like shadow boxing, triples and running for MMA or rucking/running/funruns etc if you're training for something like the military or a Spartan.

I don't have any particular goals, other than improving my cardiovascular fitness. I used to train boxing, Muay Thai, judo, bjj... But cannot anymore due to injuries.

Starting Strength and similar program seem to be aimed at general strength, rather than particular sports, so I was hoping for something similar for cardio.

Modalities available to me are cycling, or general gym equipment (cross trainer, climber, rowing machine, etc). I could run but prefer not to because it tends to flare up knee/hip injuries (or maybe I just need to get used to it).

Don't know where to start really, other than the obvious longer/faster/more resistance each time.

Rowing and cycling are probably your best bets then- lower interference with strength gains, doesn't beat you up much. There's a ton of resources on general resources for beginners (as i noted before, attempting to PR every session in terms of speed is probably not a great idea), but I'll try and find some modality-specific resources

I'm familiar with at least one person that does a lot of rowing programming, and while I can vouch for his academic credentials, i'm not avid enough of a rower to gauge his programming. His beginner programs looks kind of hard to me.

Last edited:
Since you don't want to get better at running, rowing or cycling, you should get a HR-monitor and try to get and keep your HR somewhere between 130 and (180 minus your age) for 30 to 60 minutes. Do that two or three times a week and you're good.
Once you have established a good aerobic base, you can start to add interval training and sprints, but start with building the base.

Thanks for the advice so far, folks.

Why do you need a program to bike?

Same reason people need strength programs... To make the most progress out of a given amount of training. After all, people could just lift heavy stuff, but programs are intended to increase that rate of progress by making sure the training is effective.

Figured there might be similar principles for cardio. But maybe there's not?

Since you don't want to get better at running, rowing or cycling, you should get a HR-monitor and try to get and keep your HR somewhere between 130 and (180 minus your age) for 30 to 60 minutes. Do that two or three times a week and you're good.
Once you have established a good aerobic base, you can start to add interval training and sprints, but start with building the base.

Sounds like a plan.

Although my heart rate probably gets to 130 just walking up some stairs. That's how unfit I am at present.

Figured there might be similar principles for cardio. But maybe there's not?
Training in the "cardio sweet spot" I wrote about will yield the best results for building an aerobic base. Endurance and strength are very different things, so adding 500m to your run every other day is probably not going to do much for you.

Although my heart rate probably gets to 130 just walking up some stairs. That's how unfit I am at present.
That's pretty normal. You might have to switch between running and a brisk walk every few minutes at first, but it's worth it.

It gets more complicated over time as aerobic metabolism has more moving parts than strength does, but having really really good cardiac output is useful for any kind of endurance training ever.

Sounds like a plan.
I doubt you need a heart rate monitor at this point. Just walk and measure your pulse manually for 15s now and then to get a feel for how hard your body is working.

I doubt you need a heart rate monitor at this point. Just walk and measure your pulse manually for 15s now and then to get a feel for how hard your body is working.
A HR-monitor costs about 20 bucks and he will need one at some point, why should he not get one right now? Measuring your pulse manually is not exact at all and the time it takes you to do it can already make the difference between productively working and not working anymore...

Back