Is there a consensus that Demetrius Johnson ducked TJ Dillashaw?

20falarVerdades

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
I think that MM priced himself out of the fight. The $2 million price tag is unreal. Stipe Miocic just got paid $750 k against DC and acknowledged that it was a fair figure.

Now MM is arguably the worst draw in UFC history, yet demands significantly more money than other fighters. I don't he is stupid, so everything points out to a clear case of ducking

It's complicated. Obviously, he was offered the fight and didn't take it, and there aren't a lot of guys at 125 that are elite that he hasn't beaten. But he also made clear for a while that he wanted to get Anderson's record for consecutive title defences, and TJ missing weight would cause him to lose that. Anderson's record would have been longer had Lutter not missed. TJ had never made 125 as a pro fighter, and the UFC didn't give any real assurance that he would or offer compensation if he didn't, beyond the usual 30% for missing weight.

There's a consensus that the UFC tried to bully MM and TJ probably won't make 125.

If MM lost his value would decrease to 50k buys. So yes, he ducked.

I think MM is 100% content with being the flyweight king and dominating the guys in that weight class for as long as he possibly can.

It’s the only reason why I’m not a fan of him. Although he does seem like a really nice guy.

I think he just wants more respect from the UFC. Dude values his division too and the UFC don't show them much hespect either. So letting a dude leapfrog all of the division to then be the toughest test for MM but not getting paid all that much is disrespect to him and his division. Not to mention he wants a guarantee he will make the weight, cus if he doesn't he might even get fucked out of a title defense, which is the exact thing he is trying to rack up.

So I wouldn't count it out that if the UFC would like have him fight 1 fight in the division before a TS and maybe give MM like 800K plus guaranteed PPV points regardless of the actual PPVs bought and also guarantee to properly promote it. He might consider it. Just because he put out the 2 mil number doesn't mean the UFC couldn't bring another good offer he might feel is worth it.

The reason he is making real demands now is because A) at this point of his career as one of the best ever and most accomplished ever he deserves it and B) this is a fight the UFC actually really cares about and thus gives MM a bargaining chip, where as previously the UFC would just simply not show any respect and bury him on some free card if he didn't want to play.

Last edited:
I think MM is 100% content with being the flyweight king and dominating the guys in that weight class for as long as he possibly can.

It’s the only reason why I’m not a fan of him. Although he does seem like a really nice guy.

Except for the parts when he said he would move up to fight Dom (rematch) or TJ or Cody...or how he says he will do a few things at 125 that will last for a long time and move up to 135 again.

but yeah other than that he seems like he never wants to move away from 125. he already fought and lost to Dom at 135 for the title, so why even bother, right?

If Mighty Mouse wins at 227 you can bet the house talks will start back up again. UFC wants him to fight the BW champ so badly. Cody is clearly their boy so if he beats TJ I think the fight may be more likely to happen. I don't think it's a coincidence that these fights are on the same card... They are already lining up their schedule
Honestly I'd prefer this at a 130lb catch weight. That way MM won't have to risk his title defense streak, and his opponent would be more likely to make weight. they don't need a belt to hype a MM/Cody or TJ fight... It's mostly for the hardcore fans anyway

It's complicated. Obviously, he was offered the fight and didn't take it, and there aren't a lot of guys at 125 that are elite that he hasn't beaten. But he also made clear for a while that he wanted to get Anderson's record for consecutive title defences, and TJ missing weight would cause him to lose that. Anderson's record would have been longer had Lutter not missed. TJ had never made 125 as a pro fighter, and the UFC didn't give any real assurance that he would or offer compensation if he didn't, beyond the usual 30% for missing weight.

TJ has never made 125, whether as a pro or amateur fighter or in his wrestling days. IIRC, MM also wasn't demanding $2m, but he wanted to be paid his show and win money as well as TJ's -IF- TJ fails to make weight and the fight gets cancelled. That stipulation was something TJ publicly agreed to, as he was confident he could do it. The UFC however...with all of Dana's boasting about how sure he was that TJ would make weight...did not agree.

I think that MM priced himself out of the fight. The $2 million price tag is unreal. Stipe Miocic just got paid $750 k against DC and acknowledged that it was a fair figure.

Now MM is arguably the worst draw in UFC history, yet demands significantly more money than other fighters. I don't he is stupid, so everything points out to a clear case of ducking

You're an idiot TS. You can't "duck" someone above your weight class -- that's bullshit. There's absolutely no reason someone should be forced to fight at a higher weight class.

TJ could have gone down to 125 and made weight to fight a top contender, if he really wanted to fight Mighty Mouse. And MM even agreed to fight him, as long as the UFC 100% guaranteed he would make 125.0 pounds -- or else the fight was off. TJ couldn't guarantee he could make weight, and failed his test cut earlier in 2018.

You literally cannot duck someone in the weight class above you. We could say that TJ is ducking Ortega, and that Ortega is ducking 155, and that Khabib is ducking Woodley/Covington/RDA at 170, etc.

Without TJ ever making 125 I don't consider it ducking. If TJ showed up at any event weigh in and showed that he can hit 125 and MM still said 'no' i'd call it ducking.

ᗡႱ wɒnɘƚb ƚo ʇiǫƚʜ TႱ duƚ ƚʜɘɿɘ wɒƨ ƨmoɘ qɿodɘlmƨ in ƚʜɘ mibblɘ. ᗡႱ wnɒƚƨ diǫ monyɘ ɒnb wnɒƚɘb TႱ ƚo mʞɒɘ wɘiʜǫƚ. Ƨiɔnɘ TႱ ʜɒƨn’ƚ mɒbɘ 125 in ɒ lnoǫ ƚmiɘ iƚ bib ɔɒƨuɘ ɒlɿɒm ʇoɿ ᗡႱ ʇoɿ TႱ ƚo ǫuɒɿɒnƚɘɘ ʜiƨ ɒdiliƚy ƚo mɒʞɘ 125. TႱ iƨ qɿɘƚƚy biƨɔiqlinɘb duƚ wʜo ʞonwƨ ʜow ƚʜɘ wɘiǫʜƚ ɔuƚ woulb ʜvɒɘ wɘnƚ.

The UFC is just terrible at promoting. Promoting MM wouldn't be hard at all. Dude is a gamer and a Twitcher. They have their own games... Create UFC events, like a tourney or other kind of challengenge show at Twitch and the E3 let MM be the show host. Give it proper production values & and a good creative format and see the value of you gaming franchise, your best champ, your least popular division and your brand name rapidly rise.

The gaming industry and it's audience is fucking HUGE.

You're an idiot TS. You can't "duck" someone above your weight class -- that's bullshit. There's absolutely no reason someone should be forced to fight at a higher weight class.

TJ could have gone down to 125 and made weight to fight a top contender, if he really wanted to fight Mighty Mouse. And MM even agreed to fight him, as long as the UFC 100% guaranteed he would make 125.0 pounds -- or else the fight was off. TJ couldn't guarantee he could make weight, and failed his test cut earlier in 2018.

You literally cannot duck someone in the weight class above you. We could say that TJ is ducking Ortega, and that Ortega is ducking 155, and that Khabib is ducking Woodley/Covington/RDA at 170, etc.
Stopped reading at the first line, the fight was never discussed to be at 135, TJ was perfectly willing to make 125. Btw true champions like Whittaker and Silva are not scared to fight even if their opponents miss weight

He said 2 mill for a super fight back before tj's name ever came up..it blows me away how many fans shit on him, because he's small etc...the dude is a beast with what God gave him.
He is most mma fighters fav fighter hands down, doesn't that tell u anything...mm is truly mighty

Back