Is the Xbox 360 and PS3 the goat generation of consoles?

For me and my experiences with this generation of consoles; it's reminiscent of what I disliked about PC gaming. The appeal of console gaming was that it was much more casual, plug and play. I could buy a game, bring it home, pop it in and immediately start playing. Now, I have to take it home and install the game and it's latest updates and out here in the sticks, it could mean hours between bringing the game home and actually playing.

I told myself that I would be done with gaming after the last generation of consoles, then I had an injury in June when I caved and bought an XBone. While I am experiencing bits of buyer's remorse here and there, this will definitely be my last console.

The one good thing about the XBOX One though is all of the game services.

50 games for $30 a year with EA Access
4 games a month with XBOX live for $60 a year
100+ games with game pass for $10 a month ( I don't subscribe to this put it's a great service for somebody just gatting an XB1)

The one good thing about the XBOX One though is all of the game services.

50 games for $30 a year with EA Access
4 games a month with XBOX live for $60 a year
100+ games with game pass for $10 a month ( I don't subscribe to this put it's a great service for somebody just gatting an XB1)
That's not much use to me, being out in the country, my internet service sucks and I was never really much for online play anyways. Gaming is something I do on my own and the fact that they're making that harder and harder by making constant connection more and more mandatory is one of the major reasons why I dislike this generation of consoles and the direction gaming is heading.

Even single player games are coming from the factory gimped if you're not connected, what the fuck is that shit?

That's not much use to me, being out in the country, my internet service sucks and I was never really much for online play anyways. Gaming is something I do on my own and the fact that they're making that harder and harder by making constant connection more and more mandatory is one of the major reasons why I dislike this generation of consoles and the direction gaming is heading.

Even single player games are coming from the factory gimped if you're not connected, what the fuck is that shit?

I don't ever play online either. I have a few buddies that I get together with to play sports games with, but I'm a single player gamer as well. I only really have Xbox live for the 4 free monthly games.

You don't have to download the whole game right away either. Just start the download and stop it right away and it will be stored in the previously downloaded section and you'll be able to download it again.

I was fucking pissed about the Friday the 13th game. I donated $25 to the kickstarter in turn for a digital copy of the game and it released as a multi player only game. I haven't even played i

it's subjective whether the last gen of consoles was the best or just another pretty damn good era, of many.

it's pretty objective to say that this gen of consoles sucks shit.

Maybe if you're under 21, but the real greatest generation was the 16-bit generation. It wasn't just the competition between Nintendo, Sega, and NEC, but also had handheld competition between those three and Atari, plus Arcades at one of their apexes.

I agree with TS. The 3D before the PS3/360 era was ugly. Only a few games can still be considered beautiful AND interesting (both) on each console before that.

Lol what are you smoking???

Ico
Shadow of the Colossus
Final Fantasy X and XII
Okami
God of War
Metal Gear Solid series
Devil May Cry
Tekken/Soul Calibur series
Jak and Daxter
Ratchet and Clank
Prince of Persia series

I could go on forever

Ico
Shadow of the Colossus
Final Fantasy X and XII
Okami
God of War
Metal Gear Solid series
Devil May Cry
Jak and Daxter
Ratchet and Clank
Prince of Persia series

I could go on forever
Most look blurry now lol. xbox 360/ps3, not yet. Your list is short compared to all the games I own on 360/ps3 (including sequels of the games you mentioned)

Most look blurry now lol. xbox 360/ps3, not yet. Your list is short compared to all the games I own on 360/ps3 (including sequels of the games you mentioned)

I'm guessing you were an infant in the PS2 era. These were and are still to this day regarded as beautiful games.

My list is off the top of my head. The PS2 has one one of the biggest catalogues in all of gaming. Lol I would love to see your list. I wouldn't be surprised to see if it were mostly sequels.

N64 for me, especially with the number of games that had 4 player support and zero load times because of the cartridge format, I spent probably thousands of hours playing 4 player split screen with my siblings and mates from school.

WWF No Mercy/Wrestlemania 2000
Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Mario Kart
Diddy Kong Racing
Banjo Kazooie
Goldeneye
Perfect Dark
Lylat Wars
Conkers Bad Fur Day
Jet Force Gemini
Mario 64
Resident Evil 2
F Zero X
Turok Series
Star Wars: Rogue Squadron
Smash Bros
1080 Snowboarding
Snowboard kids

Ico
Shadow of the Colossus
Final Fantasy X and XII
Okami
God of War
Metal Gear Solid series
Devil May Cry
Jak and Daxter
Ratchet and Clank
Prince of Persia series

I could go on forever

There were definitely some good looking games on the GC, PS2, and XBOX, but the PS3 and 360 were the first HD consoles.

I had a GameCube and a PS2 which I bought when I got out of Basic training in the service when I was 22. RE4 and The Windwaker still hold up today imo.

I'm guessing you were an infant in the PS2 era. These were and are still to this day regarded as beautiful games.

My list is off the top of my head. The PS2 has one one of the biggest catalogues in all of gaming. Lol I would love to see your list. I wouldn't be surprised to see if it were mostly sequels.

Actually I was an infant during the Master System era (my first console as a child). I owned almost every consoles to this day, and quit playing PS4 months ago because I prefer doing retro games. I'm completing again the RE series, the Fatal Frame series, the Yakuza series currently. I'm also still collecting and playing PSP Isos (best handheld console ever). I play PS2 almost every day and I find snes games more beautiful.

Good quality 2D> Low Res 3D.

The 360 is god damn awesome. Many games can be bought for +/-$5 at pawn shops or wherever and I'm still finding games I hadn't heard of (El Shaddai, Operation Darkness, Spectral Force 3, Culdcept Saga, etc...)

Maybe if you're under 21, but the real greatest generation was the 16-bit generation. It wasn't just the competition between Nintendo, Sega, and NEC, but also had handheld competition between those three and Atari, plus Arcades at one of their apexes.
Signed.

N64 for me, especially with the number of games that had 4 player support and zero load times because of the cartridge format, I spent probably thousands of hours playing 4 player split screen with my siblings and mates from school.

WWF No Mercy/Wrestlemania 2000
Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Mario Kart
Diddy Kong Racing
Banjo Kazooie
Goldeneye
Perfect Dark
Lylat Wars
Conkers Bad Fur Day
Jet Force Gemini
Mario 64
Resident Evil 2
F Zero X
Turok Series
Star Wars: Rogue Squadron
Smash Bros
1080 Snowboarding
Perfect Dark and Conkers were amazing. I had a lot of fun with their multiplayer.

For me it is I bought more games for xbox 360 than any other console and I've been gaming since nes days.

You can make the case. 13 of the top 25 rated games on Game Rankings are from that generation.
I have a ton of nostalgia for the N64/PS1/Saturn gen but man, those games haven't aged well at all.

I'm going with the 16-but era. The library of great games is massive. Also with two very distinct consoles at the forefront and strong support from developers around the world lead to a large variety of great unique games. Also I gotta say the games from the 16-bit era seemed to have aged better than anything after that.

With that being said, that generation had it easy in that games did not require massive budgets and development times were not that long so the library was massive in general. With number of games that were put out there were bound to be a ton of good ones. There was also a huge amount of crap because of it. Also it is a lot easier to make games look good when you are not going for realism.

I'd still say the PS2/GC/XBox generation, just because of how many great PS2 and GC games there were, +Halo and Morrowind.

Mass Effect/Fallout/Elder Scrolls definitely make it a tough decision though.

I went full PC master race about the time PS3/360 Gen arrived. Still ended up getting a PS3 but never really played any games besides Uncharted, Red Dead, Demons Souls and Last of Us, which were okay

Just completed Phantom Pain though so I'm about jump on and play MGS 1-4 (Only played MGS 1 & 2 back in the day)

So after months of successful dodging, by keeping myself offline, I finally get hit with a mandatory update. Fuck me, is this shit on a timer? How else would it know that it "needs" an update?

Back