Is The Witcher 3 the greatest videogame ever created?

Hitman81

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Seriously? It's by no means my favorite game of all time but I can't help but admire it. Graphics, music, voice acting, storytelling, weapons/armor/potion crafting depth. It's the total package. I find the controls and combat to be a little wonky but other than that its phenomenal in every way. What say you?

Last edited:
no.
next video game thread.
happy to help

The weakest part of the Witcher 3 is the GAMEplay. The combat is garbage, and this is from someone who recognizes it's greatness in story, and art in general.

Almost 3 years, and I still havent beaten it because even with Death March and Ghost Mode modded to increase the difficulty, it's still dodge to side, hit, dodge to side, hit.

It could be if this isn't a "P4P" comparison (given handicaps for games like SMB3 that didn't have the graphical advantages of this generation).

But Witcher 3 is a complete game: the best RPG experience ever created thus far, a stunning open world, incredible features, an addictive minigame, and an innovative story / choices & consequences dialogue tree.

I've just been playing through it and I must say it's definitely up there with th greats. Cities like Novigrad and Oxenfurt are insane, never seen such a beautiful open world game with so much to do that doesn't feel repetitive. Combat is probably the only thing that can really hold it back for being considered one of the best games of all time.

What I really appreciate about Witcher 3 is you aren't climbing, flying, or traversing a whole lot of nothing but empty space which is pretty much every open world rpg today except for GTA and Witcher 3. There's always a town or cave, and the town or cave you find is always different than the next, with a story to tell. Unlike Bethesda games where every building and cave looks copy and paste.

Personally, and I might get flamed for this but I think GTA 3 is the greatest game ever. We wouldn't have open world games with freedom like we do today as we know it without GTA 3, so that gets my vote hands down.

It is definitely up there. A pinnacle of gaming achievement for sure. I will echo what others said and the combat is lacking. One other strike I have against it is the crafting. Crafting is amazing, but I have had zero need to craft anything.

Nope. Never beat it, never got sucked into it like a Bethesda game.

Imo Elder Scrolls Oblivion is better and much closer to GOAT game.

It's not my favorite genre so it will never be my favorite game, but I picked it up on the Steam sale and can't stop playing it. Very addictive game.

It is definitely up there. A pinnacle of gaming achievement for sure. I will echo what others said and the combat is lacking. One other strike I have against it is the crafting. Crafting is amazing, but I have had zero need to craft anything.

The inventory in general is pretty sucky. Most of the crap that clutters it up has no reason even being something you should be able to pick up in the first place.

In my opinion, no. The combat and free roaming exploration aren't up to snuff. Has a lot of great elements to it that it does so well in terms of world building and storytelling, but I put a premium on the gameplay aspect myself.
If you wanted something close to perfect in the genre mix The Witcher 3 and Breath of the Wild together.

Seriously? It's by no means my favorite game of all time but I can't help but admire it. Graphics, music, voice acting, storytelling, weapons/armor/potion crafting depth. It's the total package. I find the controls and combat to be a little wonky but other that its phenomenal in every way. What say you?

I think you'd love Downward Thrust's videos on the game.

I haven't played it, yet. But I plan to after the Game Of Thrones series finale, because of the awesomeness of this game will be a way to cope with how horrible GoT will end.

Last edited:
It's a great game but nowhere near best ever controls need work for the next installment

good game but nowhere near the best game ever

the controls are wierd and the combat got boring and repetetive for me

As a Witcher fanboy, it's up there but not the greatest. Impossible to pick the greatest when you look at games from the late 70s/early 80s to now. They're completely different. The DLC is fucking god tier as well and the stories in those are probably better than the main game's story. Gaunter O'Dimm is a top 5 GOAT video game villain.

It's a monumental achievement considering the leaps CDPR made from TW1 (it was the first game all or nearly all of them ever made) to TW2 and then to The Wild Hunt.

Last edited:
Nope found combat boring and the story was boring as well.

The gameplay sucks and the story actually hurts it for players like me who have never played the first 2.

I wish I had played them and then my feelings for this would be different but my interest is simply not as vested as it should be no matter how hard they tried to explain as much as they could early in the game. It's still a great story but it's not "amazing" as my friends explain. One of my gaming regrets (not playing the series instead of just 3).

The gameplay is still terrible tho. Roll attack roll attack cast a spell.. repeat.

I understand hate on the combat gameplay of W1 and W2, but why the hate for W3? I found it pretty fluid, finally, and much more entertaining.

As with many SP games that allow you to freeze gameplay, it's upon you, the player, to maintain the challenge and heighten your enjoyment by evolving your skills to the point that you're effectively playing it in true real-time (as with Mass Effect, for example). It's far more enjoyable this way.

Back