Is the UFC Really Dying?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by nfffffku, Oct 22, 2017.

1. nfffffku Blue Belt

nfffffku
    Current PPV trends seem to indicate the UFC is on a downward spiral:

• Washed out cards
    • Stars losing, retiring, or leaving the company
    • Too many cards
    • Relentless money fights
    • No longer attempting to acquire top talent
    • Unable to develop new stars
    • Etc.
    But if WME was willing to drop approximately 5 billion on it, would they have done so unless they had potentially for seen these issues? Also, the UFC seems to just be chugging along despite these poor numbers and myriad of issues. There really aren’t any signs of cracks.

Calling on all educated Sherbros to lend their knowledge, insight, and wisdom on this issue.

Is the UFC really dying?

Note: actual, verified information is highly welcome.

AusMMAfan likes this.
  2. CorporateTool Blue Belt

CorporateTool
    There will be bad years and there will be good years, and this has most certainly not been a good year for the UFC. However, at this point any form of 'UFC is dying!!!' talk is chicken little sky is falling histrionics.

3. trident Water Belt

trident
    Just fasting not dying

4. ALAN PARTRIDGE BANNNED

ALAN PARTRIDGE
    hopefully 2017 has it's best PPVs coming up.

5. tasticles Black Belt

tasticles
    No and I'm sick to death of this stupid shit. It is going the way of boxing. It will have good and bad years but is here to stay.

6. Mixedfights Red Belt

Mixedfights
    In spite of its retarded fans like TS its fuckin huge and never was dieded.

Thanks 2008 post topic

JoshR86 and Irishwhiskey119 like this.
  7. revoltub blackwater Belt

revoltub
    There is a thread in the boxing forum i think. Basically they have been saying boxing is dead since the 1920s..

Ufc will have ups and downs. But at this point, i am confident it wont die out any time soon

Azure, FrankieNYC, TheGZA and 2 others like this.
  8. MCGREGOR 49-1 Orange Belt

MCGREGOR 49-1
    is the UFC dying? no. conor just took 12 months off. he'll be back soon.

9. 12ga. Red Belt

12ga.
    It's a definite limp dick. Combination of young millennial's who won't even buy a song for 99 cents on itunes let alone a PPV for 70 bucks and a fad sport.

I'd say the Fertittas made out.

george-oli, AusMMAfan and Ceez like this.
  10. Coconut Joe Philadelphia all over the World- Benard Hopkins

Coconut Joe
    Dana still has “most” fighter salaries under control.

F1489FA5-69C9-4B2E-933C-C11B01A2EBC3.jpeg

11. Credo Single Malt Belt

Credo
  12. seeyouaunty Blue Belt

seeyouaunty
    The days of crazy growth are probably gone, i can't see it being more than a niche sport now.

However looking at PPV rates is a bit missleading as that is a model that is being phased out, the UFC will look to make more from tv deals going forward.

13. itheuser Brown Belt

itheuser
    Every major sport is seeing a decline in viewers because of the shifting media landscape, and people abandoning cable. It doesn't mean they're dying.

In the UFC's case, it's having a bad year, and may continue to have bad years, but it's not going anywhere. Personally, I would love to see the UFC die because I know MMA isn't going anywhere. It's a part of the fabric now.

I do think it's possible that over the coming years, brutal sports start to become less appealing to the general populace. As the cost of head injuries, steroids, and wear and tear on the body become more exposed, fewer people will partake in them at a young age. Even if they die completely, the world will have lost very little, and life would go on.

14. LHWBelt Silver Belt

LHWBelt
    I imagine they made more money this year than last year but alot of it was from a boxing event. They dont have brock or jones to sell events now but will get Conor back and all the sudden gsp is coming back. They will be fine. Rousey may even come back for a fight or two and i guarantee they can sell that a bit even if its lesser than b4 the losses.

JoshR86 likes this.
  15. brian Blue Belt

brian
    If UFC 217 does less than 500k i'de say it is, most stacked & fun card of the year to not do close to a million would be a shame & pointing in the wrong direction for the company. Most of the problems with ppv sales this year is due to 1. Mcgregor not fighting 2. Injuries 3. PED bust 4. watered down ppv cards due to oversaturation of the product with fight nights.

They can always tell USADA to f off & reduce the fight nights to fix some of the problems & lots of young up & commers on the roster, this may just be a down year like 2014 was & hopefully they bounce back.

Yashabo and MMA MASTER like this.
  16. Tze wrrroooooom!

Tze
    ' UFC is not what it used to be. Dying? Maybe. But following the MMA movement for 16 years now gives me the outlook at the current state. UFC is a money machine that has lost it's luster. As a promotion, they are not interested in advancing the sport of MMA but only interested in a quick money grab. MMA will live beyond UFC. That makes UFC a marginal 'main' at this time organization and leaves true fans with wishing for much much more. In translation, fek UFC of 2017! '
    - Tze

Tuf_guy, Yashabo, AusMMAfan and 2 others like this.
  17. 12ga. Red Belt

12ga.
    WTF is up with orange text? Thats harder to read. Okay I'm revealing I'm old but seriously try a green or blue.

18. HwoarangStyle Black Belt

HwoarangStyle
    <mma4>

19. executionermma Welcher Belt

executionermma
    Too many cards doesn't matter. Too many PPV cards not stacked enough does. At 2015 and 2016 UFC had 41 cards (this year they will close with 39 because 2 events got canceled, but with MayMac you have 40) and this years were excellent financially speaking.

If you don't stack a card like they did in UFC 214/211 it won't sell. But to stack their PPV cards, they need to cut some of them. This year with MayMac i think UFC did 12 PPV. 6-8 should be more than enough and this way they can stack every one of them.

20. Tze wrrroooooom!

Tze
    For 12 ga.
    ' UFC is not what it used to be. Dying? Maybe. But following the MMA movement for 16 years now gives me the outlook at the current state. UFC is a money machine that has lost it's luster. As a promotion, they are not interested in advancing the sport of MMA but only interested in a quick money grab. MMA will live beyond UFC. That makes UFC a marginal 'main' at this time organization and leaves true fans with wishing for much much more. In translation, fek UFC of 2017! '
    - Tze

TheGZA likes this.