Is the UFC 145lb Division Doomed?

58miles

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
The UFC has only 3 signed fighters at 145, Cyborg, Letson and Anderson and don't seem to be in a hurry to sign more. Since the UFC started 145 at least for now it seems at least to have led to no real increase in the number of women competing at 145.

Even if they do sign more 145lb fighters how many actually plan to stay at 145? How many are just going to sign at 145 only to cut to 135 once in the UFC?

In addition Bellator has signed many of the few decent 145lb fighters and is continuing to sign more.

Should the UFC just give on the division and let Cyborg go finish her career in Bellator after the end of her contract?

She should compete in the men's 135 division but as a 145 pound fighter

That would be interesting

I legit have no idea who that Leston guy is.

once they sign gina carano and figure out how to convince people gabi garcia weighs 145 lbs they'll be back on track

Thought from the title you meant the men's division and was "fucking hell Sherdog"

But yes, W145 was doomed from the start, and Megan Anderson making Cat and Cain look like Cowboy Cerrone doesn't help.

The UFC has only 3 signed fighters at 145, Cyborg, Letson and Anderson and don't seem to be in a hurry to sign more. Since the UFC started 145 at least for now it seems at least to have led to no real increase in the number of women competing at 145.

Even if they do sign more 145lb fighters how many actually plan to stay at 145? How many are just going to sign at 145 only to cut to 135 once in the UFC?

In addition Bellator has signed many of the few decent 145lb fighters and is continuing to sign more.

Should the UFC just give on the division and let Cyborg go finish her career in Bellator after the end of her contract?
Cyborg already said if UFC does not build a division she is going to Bellator.
And what did UFC do since? Booked her against Nunes... then Yana and now back to Nunes...
Heck, UFC could have absorbed the 145 division from Invicta, like they did with the other division, but yet they chose not to.
Cyborg will finish her contract with whoever she can find then leave... unless Bellator does not want to pay her what the UFC is willing to pay her to beat them 135'rs...

Cyborg already said if UFC does not build a division she is going to Bellator.
And what did UFC do since? Booked her against Nunes... then Yana and now back to Nunes...
Heck, UFC could have absorbed the 145 division from Invicta, like they did with the other division, but yet they chose not to.
Cyborg will finish her contract with whoever she can find then leave... unless Bellator does not want to pay her what the UFC is willing to pay her to beat them 135'rs...

Invicta 145 is nonexistent.

Catering to ppl like Conor, and Cyborg has given the UFC a serious black eye. There is very little legitimacy anymore.

Everybody, and their dog, knew FW was stupid idea. And, it was announced before any mention of FLW. Which was actually the division the UFC needed the most.

And, I bet most of the WMMA fans in here would MUCH rather have AW, than FW.

Dumb idea to placate a can crusher. And, she just keeps asking for more. The word cuckold gets thrown around in here by ppl that clearly don’t know the actual definition of the word. Because, it only has ONE definition.

But, check out a thesaurus, for some words synonymous with cuckold.

There’s a picture of Dana there.

BRUTAL !

Why was the division even created? It's completely idiotic, it's a disgrace they had that chick headline the show against Cyborg.

Well the fact they have 3 now instead of the 1 shows their improving even if at snail speed. Dispite Yana's talk about maybe going back down I think the ufc keeps her at 145 to and Holy looks better at 145. So there's arguably 5.

At the end of the day Cyborg IS 145 wmma, and draws well enough. The ufc need to just be recruiting more girls here though I'd actually expect they hire Julia Budd after her contract is up then Cyborg leaves the ufc for Bellator.

well.. thin, but it would be a start:

View attachment 352029
Letson is already signed, Shafir got tired of getting KTFO, got pregnant and is probably retired. Amy Coleman is on a 2 fight losing streak I believe and not very good. Ibragimova got KOed by Cyborg already and hasn't fought in almost 2 years. Kolesnyk just lost and is not good. Latoya Walker I believe is retired. Tweet is old. You have Spencer who at some point could be good. All of the other decent 145lb fighters are in Bellator.

Letson is already signed, Shafir got tired of getting KTFO, got pregnant and is probably retired. Amy Coleman is on a 2 fight losing streak I believe and not very good. Ibragimova got KOed by Cyborg already and hasn't fought in almost 2 years. Kolesnyk just lost and is not good. Latoya Walker I believe is retired. Tweet is old. You have Spencer who at some point could be good. All of the other decent 145lb fighters are in Bellator.
hehehe I agree, but it would be a start!
The other option was to do nothing, which is what UFC did... but then again, why the F*** sign Cyborg and then not add ANYONE to the division? IMO it made no sense!
Besides, if Bellator could do it, they could have done as well (find talent). That speaks volumes on how incompetent this UFC is presenting themselves to be...

They should have never spent the money on Cyborg. Because want it or not, she is killing girls who could have gotten a better deal... for instant, Nunes.
Iff Cyborg gives a beating such as Cain gave on Junior, and Nunes goes back and loses her title... could you blame her? And why throw their new crowned champion against a girl you don't want to keep?
IMHO they are making terrible decisions after terrible decisions...and they don't seem to learn from it.

Things are looking rough for 145. Invicta running out of contenders for Cyborg... Looking like they will be pulling out of the 135 talent pool. But hopefully we get Megan after the Nunes fight.

Back