Is the rpg dead?

Is the rpg dead

• Total voters
I think TS is talking more about character building with D&D numbers and other similar elements being absent in recent games.

Look at Daggerfall character creation screen:
hqdefault.jpg

Morrowind menu interface:
1695171-morrowind.jpg

TS is probably frustrated with a lack of classic rpg elements that seem to have disappeared in modern rpgs.

I agree with TS in this regard and because of that I don't really play any modern RPGs.

Has he said what he thinks linear means? I still have no idea.

Pillars of eternity 2 is slated to release next year

And Deus Ex Human Revolution is better than the first one in every way

Why would you start this thread the month that Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar is released?

The core ideas from the RPG genre devoured nearly every other genre of gaming-- particularly the most popular FPS mainstream titles that tend to come and go. They're all hybrids now. They might not be as deeply hybridized as the Bioshock series, but in essence, they're all tropes on the same idea.

Is the classic turn-based RPG dead? No, it has just moved mostly to mobile.
Are the ideas of the classic RPG dead? Absolutely not. They ascended to dominate gaming.

I havent played a single player game since ff8 however rpgs are certainly not dead.. most of my competitive pvp gaming friends take some time out of pvp to play stuff like witcher, etc, the high quality new age rpgs

JRPG's aren't as prominent as they once were, but the genre is far from dead. Just seems they mostly show on on the 3ds and vita now.

turn based RPGs are garbage. I dont understand how anyone likes them.

turn based rpg's are my favorite, but I can see why they turn so many people off these days, with how far the RPG genre has evolved. For me personally, it's what I grew up playing and it's what I still love playing.

Has he said what he thinks linear means? I still have no idea.

If your end goal is presestablished or some wrote your outcome it is non linear. If your choices are scripted it's not linear(i.e. Current Bethesda games)

I was drunk when I created the thread and watched this

I am drunk again. Mayweather knocks out Connor!

I think TS is talking more about character building with D&D numbers and other similar elements being absent in recent games.

Look at Daggerfall character creation screen:
hqdefault.jpg

Morrowind menu interface:
1695171-morrowind.jpg

TS is probably frustrated with a lack of classic rpg elements that seem to have disappeared in modern rpgs.

I agree with TS in this regard and because of that I don't really play any modern RPGs.
I couldn't believe all the options on the character creation screen in Daggerfall. Aot of the fun for me in older rpg's was deciding how to build my character and where to put skill points and perks. Now it's like they added it all in one so you can get back to the action more quickly. This one changed absolutely ruined Fallout 4 for me.

If your end goal is presestablished or some wrote your outcome it is non linear. If your choices are scripted it's not linear(i.e. Current Bethesda games)

I was drunk when I created the thread and watched this

I am drunk again. Mayweather knocks out Connor!

Can you explain what games have outcomes that are not written?

Did anyone play Dragon Warrior Monster on gameboy? I never got into Pokémon because I got this game first and it was like Pokémon on crack. Best RPG I played (probably tied with FFX)

edit: by rpg, im talking specifically about turn based ones

Yep, I still download it on my phone now and then. I was a Pokemon kid too, but the monster breeding in DW:M was so ridiculous I couldn't stop playing it. The second games were a real let down, I think the original is what gave me my modern addiction to rogue-likes and randomly generated dungeons. Jade Cocoon 2 was probably the next game that hit me the same way.

On topic, no, RPGs are still strong. In fact, it used to be easy for hack developers to make turn-based RPGs and get people to play them. Now we have developers competing to make immersive experiences and are richer for it. Witcher 3 and Pillars of Eternity are two of the best games I've ever played, and there are plenty of lesser RPGs that fill niches I need, like Crusader Kings and Battle Brothers.

JRPGs don't have the same magic they used to have for me. Either I grew out of them or I don't have the tolerance for (that kind of) grinding. I played Trails in the Sky FC, and it was just underwhelming despite almost unanimous positive reviews. The battles are too easy and repetitive. The only recent one that caught my eye is Dragon Quest 11, because it's so gorgeous.

I like Western style RPGs more since the PS3 generation, starting with Dragon Age, Mass Effect 2, and Fallout 3. Since those franchises got dumbed down I've been trying older stuff like the original Fallout, and Deus Ex.

Last edited:
JRPGs don't have the same magic they used to have for me. Either I grew out of them or I don't have the tolerance for (that kind of) grinding. I played Trails in the Sky FC, and it was just underwhelming despite almost unanimous positive reviews. The battles are too easy and repetitive. The only recent one that caught my eye is Dragon Quest 11, because it's so gorgeous.

I like Western style RPGs more since the PS3 generation, starting with Dragon Age, Mass Effect 2, and Fallout 3. Since those franchises got dumbed down I've been trying older stuff like the original Fallout, and Deus Ex.
Persona 5.

There are still a lot of the oldschool Turn based style games out there too. You just won't see them if you aren't a computer game

Divinity:OS1 and 2, Tyranny, Pillars of Eternity 1 and 2, the new Torment. I know I am missing quite a few good ones too.

Kill yourself noob. Git gud skrub.

Seriously though turn based RPGs are awesome if done right. Gotta have an ATB though.

FFXV just put 80 hours into it. JRPGs are still going strong. 2nd best selling FF. So no they aren't dead.

yeah man its hard but it can be done, Persona 5 was fucking amazing, im playing it again now

the only thing i really hate is these silent main characters that dont even have a fucking determined name and people dont ever refer to them, i lve like the witcher series, there is geralt and he has a fucking personality, he talks and has dialogue.

that i believe is my only complaint about current rpgs, Final Fantasy XV could have been done better an they duped us with the behemot sidequest those fucks but its sill a good game

Persona 5.

I looked at some P5 streams and after 30 minutes the game's UI was making me feel like I had schizophrenia.

But the SMT series is on my list, since I've never played any. I'm looking at the Digital Devil Saga games for PS2, and if I want more, Nocturne.

I dont see rpgs as being dead. I do see rpg elements being used in every goddamn videogame now. Skill trees, dialogue trees, complex customization, etc etc.

Back