Is the rpg dead?

Is the rpg dead

• Total voters
turn based RPGs are garbage. I dont understand how anyone likes them.
my brother loved the old Final Fantasy games never understood them even with ESO, FFXIV A Realm Reborn, & Dragon Age games the cool downs kill me. I don't think I've ever played a turn based RPG.

If anything, mainline RPGs are becoming too bloated with side content for my taste. Andromeda, Inquisition, and The Witcher 3(which I still manage to love) are too long. With all three of those games, I ended up becoming torn between unlocking/crafting loot and saying fuck it and just finishing them because they eventually wore out their welcome.

Granted, those games maybe don't have as many choices in how you resolve quest lines as some other games, but like people have pointed out we're still getting stuff like Pillars of Eternity and Tyranny.

And then there's one of my most anticipated games of the year coming pretty soon, Divinity: Original Sin 2. And if that game is anything like it's predecessor, it'll have what feels like a million ways to approach questing through a variety of combat options, a variety of dialogue options, or just exploration.

Last edited:
jck.gif

could just be an age thing or growing up with those game things

Lol Hoagey is drunk again. Put the phone down dude and throw some cool water in your face.

Kill yourself noob. Git gud skrub.

Seriously though turn based RPGs are awesome if done right. Gotta have an ATB though.

FFXV just put 80 hours into it. JRPGs are still going strong. 2nd best selling FF. So no they aren't dead.

What do you think linear means? Truly, Im not sure.

Turn based JRPGs aren't dead, they're all just weeabo anime garbage.

Hang on. Skyrim, a game that you could play for 50 hours, restart and play for 50 hours, then restart again and play for 50 hours, and not do the same thing twice (intro excluded of course), is linear. But Baldurs Gate, a game you play in the order it gives you, is not linear?

Like every other genre, they have evolved, but RPGs of all, or most types, are alive and well.

If you ask me beat em ups and fighting games are dead.

The problem is you're looking for jrpg's on the Xbox.

Have you seen the fighting games that were released this year? This is probably one of the best years for that genre
Absolver is coming out in a few days and it looks pretty cool.

It's innovative, in that it's a third person fighting game with pure melee and the way they designed the combat deck allows for a near infinite number of fighting styles. I just hope the controls are responsive and it feels fun to play.

There are plenty of great ones out there if you know where to look. Persona 5 is a GOTY contender and it's a turn based JRPG

My issue with JRPGs are that the characters that you always have to control is either an adolescent angry teen or some girl in some skippy outfits. The baddies you normally fight also happen to be cuddly creatures that you want as pets

My issue with JRPGs are that the characters that you always have to control is either an adolescent angry teen or some girl in some skippy outfits. The baddies you normally fight also happen to be cuddly creatures that you want as pets

Yea typically if your appeal is more realistic/badass enemies and older tough guy-ish characters most JRPGs will fall short in that aspect. Although even with that there are some out there. For example Legend of Legacy for 3DS has you choose your own party out of 7-8 different choices, and they're all older/more cool characters. The graphics might not appeal to you since they're chibi styled.

I can't recommend Persona 5 enough even though it has some aspects you might not like. The characters are high schoolers, but they're not whiny little bitches. No skimpy outfits on the women either. The enemies you face range from cute to badass to outrageous to gross. The combat is amazing, the art style is as stylish as it gets, and the soundtrack is top notch.

Yea typically if your appeal is more realistic/badass enemies and older tough guy-ish characters most JRPGs will fall short in that aspect. Although even with that there are some out there. For example Legend of Legacy for 3DS has you choose your own party out of 7-8 different choices, and they're all older/more cool characters. The graphics might not appeal to you since they're chibi styled.

I can't recommend Persona 5 enough even though it has some aspects you might not like. The characters are high schoolers, but they're not whiny little bitches. No skimpy outfits on the women either. The enemies you face range from cute to badass to outrageous to gross. The combat is amazing, the art style is as stylish as it gets, and the soundtrack is top notch.
I think the only ones I likes was Lost Odyssey because their use of japanese anime cliches were very minimal. I couldn't finish some of those Final Fantasy games because the stuff is way too far fetched such as killing that uber cactus guy that was as small as a chihuaua.

I'm not saying that all RPGs should feature some bad ass with 8% bodyfat but I couldn't get into RPGs that features characters that you use to see in those saturday morning cartoons. Its too silly to be taken seriously. I'll probably give Persona 5 a try

I was born in 1990. I've seen some amazing games which I would consider rpgs (baulders gate, Morrowind, kotr, first dragon age, dues ex (not the new
Ones))

There are totally more(past games) I am just speaking generally with what I grew up with.

But is the rpg genere dead?

I feel we are seeing a push of more linear games, that are action based trying to claim the name of rpg but are action based( skyrim, fallout. Borderline want to say the souls series)
I know some will probably try to argue the witches but it too is linear

I am not talking shit about these games (besides sky rim and fallout 4 which lost their roots) they are mostly good ass games, but if anyone has ever played an rpg why does it seem like their is a lack of the individual make it be his heroes journey or chose g not too.

I'm not going to lie to you guys I am fucked abd I am sitting in front of my Xbox one and I am annoyed there's rpgs(don't tell me dark souls. It is not an rpg)

Am I wrong (please tell me if I am) or do you agree with me the rpg is dead.

Sorry I am fucked up and will fes to any embarrassment, but man the rpg seems dead

Shit, I agree with you that Dark Souls is not a RPG but the genre is fine with games like Witcher 3, Fallout, Tides of Numera, Tyranny, Deus Ex... Mass Effect Andromeda got fucked but thats EA.

Back