Is the rpg dead?

Is the rpg dead

• Total voters

Hogey

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
I was born in 1990. I've seen some amazing games which I would consider rpgs (baulders gate, Morrowind, kotr, first dragon age, dues ex (not the new
Ones))

There are totally more(past games) I am just speaking generally with what I grew up with.

But is the rpg genere dead?

I feel we are seeing a push of more linear games, that are action based trying to claim the name of rpg but are action based( skyrim, fallout. Borderline want to say the souls series)
I know some will probably try to argue the witches but it too is linear

I am not talking shit about these games (besides sky rim and fallout 4 which lost their roots) they are mostly good ass games, but if anyone has ever played an rpg why does it seem like their is a lack of the individual make it be his heroes journey or chose g not too.

I'm not going to lie to you guys I am fucked abd I am sitting in front of my Xbox one and I am annoyed there's rpgs(don't tell me dark souls. It is not an rpg)

Am I wrong (please tell me if I am) or do you agree with me the rpg is dead.

Sorry I am fucked up and will fes to any embarrassment, but man the rpg seems dead

Sorry guys I am really drunk arguing about video games

Turn based? Mostly yes.

Tactical based, not much

Action based, very much alive

You played the recent Obsidian games bro? Pillars and Tyranny?

I agree quality RPG's are a bit thin on the ground but there's quality around

I'm in the mindset that the genre's evolved away from the simple turn-based gameplay we had grown up with. I'm sure games like Dragon Quest will still keep it, but as a whole, you see RPG elements in other games like Borderlands, Dead Cells, and such.

The Witcher 3....linear? KOTOR and Dragon Age are much more linear than TW3.

RPGs are far from dead and the style you've mentioned has had a renaissance the past few years. Pillars of Eternity is getting an Xbox One release on the 29th. Divinity: Original Sin, Wasteland 2, Torment: Tides of Numero Uno,

The Witcher 3....linear? KOTOR and Dragon Age are much more linear than TW3.

RPGs are far from dead and the style you've mentioned has had a renaissance the past few years. Pillars of Eternity is getting an Xbox One release on the 29th. Divinity: Original Sin, Wasteland 2, Torment: Tides of Numero Uno,

Yeah I played witcher for a few days while avoiding the main story line.

Morrowind is the best RPG ever.

That is all.

If you had made this thread 5 years ago the answer would be yes. But in that time we've had Divinity: Original Sin, Pillars of Eternity,Wasteland 2, Tyranny, Tormet: Tides of Numeria etc.

The "classic" rpg genre is in better shape these days than its been in last 15 years I'd say.

Did anyone play Dragon Warrior Monster on gameboy? I never got into Pokémon because I got this game first and it was like Pokémon on crack. Best RPG I played (probably tied with FFX)

edit: by rpg, im talking specifically about turn based ones

Exactly how is it dead?

Like many people listed Dragon Age, Witcher 3, Skyrim etc all have huge rpg elements and are not linear. If you are referring to the turn based aspect, it is quite outdated and no one has time for that shit. You are way too old school and even I have moved on from them. I use to play the Ultima, Might & Magic games

If you want more strategy base, just play the japanese rpgs but then again, I usually have an aversion against them because they make all their characters emo and whiney

"born in 1990".

LOL at this thread and RPGs being dead.

Not sure if he understands what "linear" means if he thinks Witcher 3 is linear.

Exactly how is it dead?

Like many people listed Dragon Age, Witcher 3, Skyrim etc all have huge rpg elements and are not linear. If you are referring to the turn based aspect, it is quite outdated and no one has time for that shit. You are way too old school and even I have moved on from them. I use to play the Ultima, Might & Magic games

If you want more strategy base, just play the japanese rpgs but then again, I usually have an aversion against them because they make all their characters emo and whiney
turn based RPGs are garbage. I dont understand how anyone likes them.

Back