Is the MW divsion really that good if...

welcometohavoc

Yellow Card
Yellow Card
Reaction score
3 former WW's have come in and destroyed top 10 MW competition?

GSP and Whittaker are both former WW's who are champion and interim champion respectively. Together they've beaten Romero, Jacare, Bisping.

And then we have Gastellum who's beaten Kennedy, Bisping, Belfort. Granted he lost to Weidman but it's not like Weidman is a chump.

Does this prove that WW is the more skilled division?

Whittaker is fresh, young and is just beginning his prime, MW had proven to be best place for him.

He is a terrific MW now.

So it's not fair nor sensible to call him 'former' WW.... He did shit at WW.

The rest, you kinda have the point.

But I can't see GSP lasting against Romero, Rockhold, Weidman, etc.

He had picked weakest MW champion in years to fight against, and you can't blame him.

3 former WW's have come in and destroyed top 10 MW competition?

GSP and Whittaker are both former WW's who are champion and interim champion respectively. Together they've beaten Romero, Jacare, Bisping.

And then we have Gastellum who's beaten Kennedy, Bisping, Belfort. Granted he lost to Weidman but it's not like Weidman is a chump.

Does this prove that WW is the more skilled division?
MW div. that good? Ur thread is 6 months late.

Of course it isn't, I've been saying this forever. The heavier divisions suck. Just because Sherdorks have a fascinations with some "popular names" (which are only popular because they've been around for 20 years and the divisions so bad they're still relevant) doesn't mean they are equally skilled.

And let's be honest....when you have guys like Jacare, Weidman and Rockhold in the division it's really the LHW division.

Last edited:
A good division doesn't have a load of guys who are 35+ (and a lot of them closer to 40 than 35) at the top of it.

There might just be a bigger gap than we realized between the top 5 MWs and everyone else in that division.

Luke Rockhold acted like an idiot in the cage, which is what started all of this. Bisping took advantage of someone being relaxed in a competitive setting, and he became champion.

If none of that happened, Hendo doesn't get a title shot, GSP doesn't get a title shot and people don't start whispering about Silva or Woodley getting a title shot.

The middleweight division is more competitive now than it ever has been. You have Whittaker, Weidman, Rockhold and Romero, and you would have had Moose if he hadn't been a baby and left. Any one of those beats Bisping 9/10 times, and GSP will get mauled if he has to defend against Weidman.

The quality of striking at MW is not very good, the top 10 are largely grapplers with passable striking.

Kelvin beat Michael Bisping would had just got dropped, and choked out 3 weeks earlier, Tim Keneddy who was never champ material, and Vitor off of TRT. What happened when he fought a legit MW in Chris Weidman, he got raped.

Yeah, Kelvin entertaining this idea of a title shot when he just lost to Weidman is hilarious. The guy who just beat you doesn't even qualify for a chance at the belt.

Yeah it is

Was even better when they had Mousasi

Maybe this is just indicative of how well fighters can perform at their natural weight classes. In addition to Whitaker and Gastelum, at the extreme end Rumble never made a title run at WW and we know how well he did at LHW.

You know these people aren't Welterweights anymore when they start competing at Middleweight, right? It's like people think that because you competed at one weight class for a long time before that you're forever a part of that division even after you've moved up. Whittaker and Gastleum are not Welterweights when they make 185 and show up around that weight on fight night, they're Middleweights.

Plus it depends how much certain fighters cut to get down to a certain weight to begin with. It's possible that MW is Whittaker and Gastleum's most "natural" division, so maybe that's where they just perform the best.

Of course it isn't, I've been saying this forever. The heavier divisions suck. Just because Sherdorks have a fascinations with some "popular names" (which are only popular because they've been around for 20 years and the divisions so bad they're still relevant) doesn't mean they are equally skilled.

And let's be honest....when you have guys like Jacare, Weidman and Rockhold in the division it's really the LHW division.

I mean to be fair I think MW has historically been pretty good between UFC and Strikeforce. I agree that LHW and HW have pretty much always been thin

I mean to be fair I think MW has historically been pretty good between UFC and Strikeforce. I agree that LHW and HW have pretty much always been thin

Not as bad as LHW, HW, but when you compare it to other divisions it can't compete unless it's maybe FLYWEIGHT.

Maybe this is just indicative of how well fighters can perform at their natural weight classes. In addition to Whitaker and Gastelum, at the extreme end Rumble never made a title run at WW and we know how well he did at LHW.

I think that is a perfect example of the skill difference between WW and LHW and lighter weightclasses in general. It's why I consider MM the best in the world. He does things skill wise that no other fighter is doing. Yeah he'd get out muscled by someone like DC or Stipe but skillwise, none of them can touch him

Back