Is the hype finally over for Gunnar Nelson? I hope so

Needs to move down to 155.

Could still be 170 if he wanted to. Was robbed by cheating.
He needs to leave that gym and become his own man and stop trying to become Conor. It's made him a worse fighter.
He left the gym 2 years ago moron.

Never bought into his hype. Never support any fighter who is incapable of creating popcorn.

The hype was never there in the first place. Embarrassed by a declining Rick Story.

He's got an interesting stand up and a pretty solid ground game. Has some decent wins under his belt.

Nice and respectful guy as well.

I don't know if it's hype- especially after getting dominated by Maia- but more that he's just got that fan favorite thing going for him.

Nothing wrong with that.

Personally I'm a huge Cub Swanson fan for the way he fights even though I'm sure he'll never get his hands on the strap.

The hype was never there in the first place. Embarrassed by a declining Rick Story.
Split decision = embarrassed? It was his first 5 rd fight, pre-USADA Hendricks lost to Rick Story as well.

16mOj.gif

He's got an interesting stand up and a pretty solid ground game. Has some decent wins under his belt.

Nice and respectful guy as well.

I don't know if it's hype- especially after getting dominated by Maia- but more that he's just got that fan favorite thing going for him.

Nothing wrong with that.

Personally I'm a huge Cub Swanson fan for the way he fights even though I'm sure he'll never get his hands on the strap.
Exactly, 2 guys that may never win the belt but would be really awesome if they did.

Gunnar is a laid back, cool guy who never shows emotion. It's a breath of fresh air when the UFC is filled with American wrestlers who goes on about the same shit about family values and gets emotional all thedamn time.
Too bad Gunni is very hitable though. He needs to adapt his karate better into MMA if he wants any chance against a puncher.

Needs to move down to 155.

Could still be 170 if he wanted to. Was robbed by cheating.

He left the gym 2 years ago moron.

Why is he still listed on the SBG Ireland website as part of the team? Does he not train with Conor?

Why is he still listed on the SBG Ireland website as part of the team? Does he not train with Conor?
Website is old. Still has 2 retired fighters on there. Look on Gunnars, it only lists his current gym. Conor goes there to train on the odd occasion (when he got kicked off of UFC 200 he was in Iceland at the time of the press conference)

Website is old. Still has 2 retired fighters on there. Look on Gunnars, it only lists his current gym. Conor goes there to train on the odd occasion (when he got kicked off of UFC 200 he was in Iceland at the time of the press conference)

Straight from his site.

Gunnar fights out of his local Icelandic MMA club MJÖLNIR in Reykjavik and that's where he spends most of his training and teaching. He also trains with John Kavanagh and his team in Dublin but John also teaches at MJÖLNIR in Iceland and he's Gunnar's main MMA coach.

Kavanagh is his main coach.

Maybe the person that made the video is butthurt. When it comes to Nelson or Ponzi I am like "Who da fook is dat guy?" I am an old school fan but I am not as fanatic at the moment. If you are not a legend or top 5 chances are I may have HEARD of you or seen a fight even, but I wont be watching their carreer highlights or anything. My favorite fighter is Vitor Belfort. I'm used to not having fights (the ones that really count) go my way. When Anderson Silva merced him I was happy, because at least he was tooken out by a spectacular ninja (at the time) finish. I saw the video and then this was the first thread I seen after the vid so I left it here. Also I don't like cheaters.

Split decision = embarrassed? It was his first 5 rd fight, pre-USADA Hendricks lost to Rick Story as well.
Didn't everybody pretty much scoff at the judge that scored that fight for Gunni?

Yeah, apparently he has normal eyes just like the rest of us. I had thought Icelanders evolved with super thick cornea to protect them from snow blindness.

I hope so too. He's not a bad fighter but he'll never beat the best and people should stop pretending he's among the top WW's. I think even guys like Matt Brown and Donald Cerrone would wreck his shit.

emotional-range.jpg

Other than his style which is atypical it was his stoicism.

Sherdog loves a stoic fighter.

Back