Is the hype finally over for Gunnar Nelson? I hope so

Reddd

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Man, what is it with certain guys that have a little flash in their stance or keep their hands down? It seems like it makes Sherdog idiots get all giddy and horny for a fighter where they hype the guy relentlessly.

Nelson has been one of the most over hyped guys right there with Erik Silva.

He fights lazy, and gives fighters so many openings to jack him up every time he fights. Pretty noticeable even when he wins.

Are you guys all on his junk still because he trains with Conor? I don't get it at this point.

Its been over ever since Maia took him behind the woodshed. Hes obviously a solid fighter but he doesn't have a single top quality win, he just has some solid wins (jourban, albert T, cummings, etc.).

No, Gunny is awesome.

Those eyepokes were definitely a factor though, fan of Gunnar or not.

Its been over ever since Maia took him behind the woodshed. Hes obviously a solid fighter but he doesn't have a single top quality win, he just has some solid wins (jourban, albert T, cummings, etc.).

I never understood his hype when he had his 2nd or 3rd fight in the UFC. He was taking all types of shots in the face he didn't need to take and almost got rocked by a guy (Can't think of his name right now) that was older and Gunnar just doesn't fight with a killer instinct to me. He fights like the bad version of Mousasi. He's good, but nothing special.

For the life of me, I still can't understand why Gunnar is still fighting at 170. That guy's body is set up perfectly to be a nice size LW. He'd do well there as well.

He's a top fighter and from Iceland which is rare and awesome as hell. He doesn't wear hand wraps, doesn't cut any weight, has an exciting style on the feet and has an awesome ground game. Plus he always goes for the finish and is fast as hell. I don't really know why anybody wouldn't like him, I mean if he was a douche maybe but he's one of the nicest fighters out there.

He needs to leave that gym and become his own man and stop trying to become Conor. It's made him a worse fighter.

I still believe he can get to the top, don't much care if anyone else does.

I still believe he can get to the top, don't much care if anyone else does.

You guys are complete idiots. He hasn't done anything to look like he could do that.

I could see if you said at 155 where he belongs, but if you are to stupid to see that he is under sized at 170, and is way out of his element then good riddance.

You guys are complete idiots. He hasn't done anything to look like he could do that.

I could see if you said at 155 where he belongs, but if you are to stupid to see that he is under sized at 170, and is way out of his element then good riddance.
Way to make some assumptions, I have always said Gunni should be fighting at LW, but on you go, have a little bitch fit...

Way to make some assumptions, I have always said Gunni should be fighting at LW, but on you go, have a little bitch fit...

Then you should have said that.

To suggest that he'll make a run at 170 is stupid as hell. He is undersized, and isn't dominant in any discipline. He hasn't beaten any top guys and has almost lost to some no name guys as well. He has a lot of holes in his game when you watch him. He needs a new camp badly.

His stand up style only works if you're an elite striker (Wonderboy, Machida, etc.). GN's ground game is excellent but he has a lot of work to do in the standup game.

He was hyped because he was Icelandic. Nothing new. The same hype will be applied when we finally get a fighter from Greenland, Denmark, Bangladesh, etc. It's a pet thing.

Then you should have said that.

To suggest that he'll make a run at 170 is stupid as hell. He is undersized, and isn't dominant in any discipline. He hasn't beaten any top guys and has almost lost to some no name guys as well. He has a lot of holes in his game when you watch him. He needs a new camp badly.
I don't need to inform you of all my opinions, and like I said in my original opinion, I don't care if anyone else agrees, so ....

tumblr_oa9d26cgrr1tpafe6o1_500.gif

He was hyped because he was Icelandic. Nothing new. The same hype will be applied when we finally get a fighter from Greenland, Denmark, Bangladesh, etc. It's a pet thing.

Well that is some of the dumbest logic ever.

New fighter from a region that we don't see that often?

Uuumm that would generally mean that they'll likely not do as well since their will be limited options for camps and sparring partners in different disciplines.

I get rooting for a fighter, but to have belief in some guy for those reasons is pathetic.

Well that is some of the dumbest logic ever.

New fighter from a region that we don't see that often?

Uuumm that would generally mean that they'll likely not do as well since their will be limited options for camps and sparring partners in different disciplines.

I get rooting for a fighter, but to have belief in some guy for those reasons is pathetic.

It's not my logic, bro. I'm just stating the truth of why he was hyped. "Is normal." - KenFlo

He's legit, but has been quite overhyped for a while.

I can see him continue staying relevant for a long time, but I don't think he'll fight for any titles soon.

The "not cutting weight" strategy is shit. But I like his style, hyped or not.

Back