Is the High Fat, High Protein, No Carbs or Sugar diet safe?

You lose weight on keto because you eat a ton less. I can't cut easy on keto because I stop eating pasta, rice, potatoes.

But I noticed I just ate less In general.

What annoyed me is my mouth was extremely dry all the time.
You lose weight on Keto because your body is breaking down your fat for energy. It won't do that if you keep filling your body with carbs, which is what the body uses for energy before fat.

I truly believe the biggest factor by far is calories in vs. calories out. I believe most people on a keto diet have just manipulated their calories by excluding certain foods. Someone else can eat rice, pasta, etc. with the same caloric intake and lose weight as well. It's certainly become trendy though - and fatasses that weighed a lot for years and lost weight will now act like diet experts and tell you how great it is.

I truly believe the biggest factor by far is calories in vs. calories out. I believe most people on a keto diet have just manipulated their calories by excluding certain foods. Someone else can eat rice, pasta, etc. with the same caloric intake and lose weight as well. It's certainly become trendy though - and fatasses that weighed a lot for years and lost weight will now act like diet experts and tell you how great it is.

This is basically correct.

There is some water retention associated with carbohydrate intake, and you may burn fat a little faster once you enter ketosis, but mostly it's about eating more nutrient dense food for the same amount of calories.

It doesn't matter what diet you're following, if you consume more calories than you expend you will not lose weight.

Dr. Atkins started this. Now everyone has their version of it with a different name and slight modifications

Edit - I did Atkins with my wife for a bit. I didn't need to lose weight I just wanted to try it. Found out that I was weaker operating on 50g of carbs a day. I thought with all that protein I should hit the weights hard and see some gains. Didn't work out that way, I couldn't lift as heavy and felt really weak. Turns out your muscles need sugar to work. Once I abandoned the diet I felt strong again. The best thing about the diet was a slept really good at night, but eating low carb like that is really tough to do and maintain as a lifestyle.

A lot of it depends on your genetics.

Some people thrive on high protein. Others feel sluggish with too much meat because it's hard for their body to break it down.

Same with carbs. Some people get knocked out after some rice. Others need plates of it.

There is a real simple equation. Determine your physical requirements based on weight and activity outputs. Get roughly a third of your daily calories from each: proteins, carbs, and lipids. You will be shocked on what this actually looks like. For your carbs, try to maximize complex carbohydrates and minimize sugar. If you need to lose weight, lower your overall caloric intake while maintaining the same ratios. It's that simple.

Without carbohydrates you will die, stick to what we know and stay away from broscience. The people with the highest longevity thrive on carbs. Japanese and cultures around the Mediterranean sea have rice and bread as staple foods. Ancient greeks went by with bread, wine and olives and look how they are depicted in art work

dfdfdf-1-620x350.png

flickr-5890303031-hd.jpg

Unless you're going for the following look, stay away from these new fad diets
dd69f1590f66077ab211367f7dc4b20b.jpg

Problem is overeating, not carbs. Another thing to consider is level of activity. Our ancestors didn't spend their days sitting down lurking on Sherdog, I bet.

The carbs we eat today are from GMO wheat that is higher on the glycemic index than a candy bar. Also the only people I know who are on low carb or keto are monster power lifters not the dork pictured above.

Higher fat higher Protein is good when you're over 40, since carbs go straight to your belly at that age.

You lose weight on Keto because your body is breaking down your fat for energy. It won't do that if you keep filling your body with carbs, which is what the body uses for energy before fat.
True but you also eat way less . If I ate the same amount with steak and eggs and bacon id still be the same weight.

Cutting out carbs just cuts out many other things I generally eat.

I just discovered Oikos Triple Zero yogurt has zero fat, low sugar, no artificial flavors, and has 30% DV protein. Doesn't taste as good as yogurt with sugar and fat.

Back