Is the Grappling Technique forum becoming less enjoyable because of the hardcore advertising?

I asked that because if you've already been good for a while, your frame of reference might be a little skewed IMHO. Actually mine might, I'm not sure which is true. I'm a brown belt. I was a white belt for 8 months, a blue belt for just over a year, and purple for about 15 months. I've been a brown belt for a year and half but the last sixth months I haven't trained but a few times due to illness. For me, being in the phase where I can make significant, immediate gains by learning more technical detail is part of my very recent memory, so that might have something to do with it.

Of course being sharp with your execution is of the utmost importance; Rodolfo doesn't hit the torreando and half guard smash on everyone just because he knows more (although he almost certainly does), he gets it because his execution is precise, better timed, and more perfect. Perhaps this is the crux of our disagreement, but to me an integral part of having good technique is the ability to apply it under stress against good opponents. Knowledge not backed by practice is not validated.

Still, even as I've gotten a lot better, certain circumstances have led me to believe that technique is still imminently important. Consider this: Before I started getting sick, one of my main training partners was a regional competitor of some note who has recently switched teams and had slumping results lately. Regardless, he has more or less made a career out of letting people get a crossface in half guard, only to go to deep half and elevate them anyway. Although we are taught that this is wrong, I have to this day never seen anyone stop him with a crossface without the gi. When I started training with him though, that was a big part of my game: the reverse sit in half guard, with or without the crossface. So how was I to go about solving this problem? He ate me up with the same sequence over and over. My game was inferior. It had holes in it and I could do nothing to stop the sequences from happening, even when I knew how they worked. Drilling to sharpen the tools I had wasn't going to work. I had to start using new techniques and making major modifications to my old ones, and only then did I ever see any success. How did I do that? Through exhaustive study, trial and error, and yes, lots of drilling. All of those things, IMO, should not be looked at as independent of one another. For me, the relationship isn't just symbiotic, it is essential.

I'm sure you've had training partners like this in your development as well, people against whom your current game wasn't going to cut it. How did you overcome those obstacles?

The entire site is overloaded with scripts and ads. It constantly crashes my browsers on several of my computers.

I asked that because if you've already been good for a while, your frame of reference might be a little skewed IMHO. Actually mine might, I'm not sure which is true. I'm a brown belt. I was a white belt for 8 months, a blue belt for just over a year, and purple for about 15 months. I've been a brown belt for a year and half but the last sixth months I haven't trained but a few times due to illness. For me, being in the phase where I can make significant, immediate gains by learning more technical detail is part of my very recent memory, so that might have something to do with it.

Of course being sharp with your execution is of the utmost importance; Rodolfo doesn't hit the torreando and half guard smash on everyone just because he knows more (although he almost certainly does), he gets it because his execution is precise, better timed, and more perfect. Perhaps this is the crux of our disagreement, but to me an integral part of having good technique is the ability to apply it under stress against good opponents. Knowledge not backed by practice is not validated.

Still, even as I've gotten a lot better, certain circumstances have led me to believe that technique is still imminently important. Consider this: Before I started getting sick, one of my main training partners was a regional competitor of some note who has recently switched teams and had slumping results lately. Regardless, he has more or less made a career out of letting people get a crossface in half guard, only to go to deep half and elevate them anyway. Although we are taught that this is wrong, I have to this day never seen anyone stop him with a crossface without the gi. When I started training with him though, that was a big part of my game: the reverse sit in half guard, with or without the crossface. So how was I to go about solving this problem? He ate me up with the same sequence over and over. My game was inferior. It had holes in it and I could do nothing to stop the sequences from happening, even when I knew how they worked. Drilling to sharpen the tools I had wasn't going to work. I had to start using new techniques and making major modifications to my old ones, and only then did I ever see any success. How did I do that? Through exhaustive study, trial and error, and yes, lots of drilling. All of those things, IMO, should not be looked at as independent of one another. For me, the relationship isn't just symbiotic, it is essential.

I'm sure you've had training partners like this in your development as well, people against whom your current game wasn't going to cut it. How did you overcome those obstacles?

You definitely need to rethink parts of your game at times. Those times do seem to get less and less frequent as you keep training though, so it ends up being a small percentage in the end.

It's kind of amazing if you ever watch someone who has been a black belt like 20+ years roll. Obviously the game has changed a lot since then. But when younger guys throw modern stuff at them, the older guys don't seem to have any trouble dealing with it.

Now I'm not saying they are going to be beating top competitors in the Mundials, but considering their age and other factors, they can do pretty great even with old school technique that hasn't really been seen in competition for decades. I think those guys have reached the point where they understand enough fundamental jiu jitsu concepts to just stop thinking in terms of specific techniques entirely.

Another thing that is sort of crazy is how little agreement there is on "correct" technique among the top guys. Using ATOS guys as an example again, the way Mendes Bros teach the leg drag is actually pretty different technically than the way Galvao shows it. I've actually had Galvao "correct" me when putting the knee through the legs Mendes Bros style instead of just putting it on the ground behind the butt.

But in reality, he's not saying one way is right and the other is wrong. He's just trying to get me to try it his way for a little and see if that works. Because the opinion on that detail is pretty split among the guys. Some do it one way, and some do it the other. But where to put your knee like that is the exact type of technical detail that would cause a massive debate and uproar on an online forum. In reality, it is considered to be a minor variation that can go either way.

The focus of the training was always trying to internalize the fundamental concepts of jiu jitsu. Then you just let the technique develop from there. So when things are done that way, most of the guys end up with pretty different technical skillsets at black belt. But you can still look at all them roll and see the common thread of core jiu jitsu concepts and body mechanics that connect them.

Balto - I've really appreciated the insight and perspective you brought to this thread. Thank you.

Kesting, you are good people. I actually remember an online discussion I had with you on this forum in 2004. It was a technical discussion about the north-south position, and you described a detail that I still use to this day.

I had a different screen name back then, and it was a long time ago, but I want you to know that one little interaction was a positive thing for me, and it remains in my memory all these years later.

I agree with you, the ads are way over the top now. But I think that is just one of a number of factors that have led to this forum's decline.

The site redesign. The rise of the reddit alternative. The proliferation of online instructional resources.

There is also the usual changing of generations that happens with message boards. People inevitably get older, have more responsibilities, have less free time. Most reconsider how they want to spend their time.

Like I said, this is not my original screen name on here. I remember the days when Mirada was the only real mod, when hayliks and Blake Bowman were the Asshole Top Team. Those names mean nothing to this forum now. And why should they? It was more than 10 years ago. All those guys have moved on. Another generation of users came, and had their time, and moved on. And another. It's the way of things.

But maybe with the confluence of factors this forum is facing now, there won't be another generation. Maybe this forum has run its course. Real old timers may remember when the NHBgear forum was the place to be. Dave Jacobs, Kenny Florian, Ryan Hall used to post there. By 2004, it was dead. Maybe that's the fate of Sherdog Grappling.

For me, personally: I stopped following this forum about a year ago. Hell, probably longer. I was actually going to make a thread asking why people post here. Just to hear some opinions. But then I realized I don't visit this forum often enough to check the responses.

So it goes.

I don't feel that I have much to offer anymore. I lost my old account when the format changed. I randomly look for fun troll threads.
This site had its time and place in my life. I've moved on, but will feel nostalgic at times.

It's weird seeing you as a "white belt" poster, CashBill. For what it's worth, I always enjoyed your posts - the window you provided into the Cesar Gracie team, and your insights as a mature practitioner and competitor. But I understand if you're moving on. Vaya con Dios

Things evolve and people get older. I've been on traditional vbulletin message style boards for 15 years now. Mostly a time kill at work.

That being said this board was incredibly helpful at times with high level posters like Anaconda, Cash Bill, Lechien, Balto, Uchi Mata etc. I just got bored with the same white/blue belt threads over and over. Some of the technical discussion was priceless, but I find myself needing one specific detail from a coach who can see what I'm doing vs. online that can't tell what I'm fucking up etc. The rise of trolls like T-bone, SBJ just spamming all things Gracie academy, and just lack of fresh content led me to distance from the site. I browse maybe once a week at most and rarely click more than 1 thread.

I do browse reddit and post some there but overall as I get older, remodeling a house, fostering pups, getting remarried, promoted at work I just care less and less for social media/message boards as people get too amped up over shit that doesn't matter. I hide 100% of people that post politics/religious stuff on facebook and basically get updates from a few friends/family members and some training partners that aren't Doucebags. With all the media fire storms over BLM/Police shootings/etc, I just want to be happy, train, play with my dogs, see my woman and enjoy life. I miss seeing posts from a few of you, wish you the best and hope all is well.

Oh and Fuck Ralek and Fuck Metamoris. Needed to get that in one more time for idiots supporting that fucktard.

Unfortunately I think the site update was a milestone here that made a lot of good posters who were a little burnt out with the forum leave entirely. I tend to find myself using Reddit a lot more than Sherdog these days, which kinda sucks because I really like how I know a lot of the people here. It's cool thought to see F12 peeps on a different forum though, I'm always way more liberal with the upvotes when I see a username I recognize.

I'll always still be on Sherdog, but it's hard to be as motivated to stay active when the content is slow slow compared to what it used to be. I will say that regardless of what happens I still find myself coming across old threads on google that are a treasure trove of info. Plus there are still a bunch of awesome people that post here, and the mods on F12 especially have always done an amazing job imo.

FWIW play by play threads on Sherdog still work the best!

Kesting, you are good people. I actually remember an online discussion I had with you on this forum in 2004. It was a technical discussion about the north-south position, and you described a detail that I still use to this day.

I had a different screen name back then, and it was a long time ago, but I want you to know that one little interaction was a positive thing for me, and it remains in my memory all these years later.

I agree with you, the ads are way over the top now. But I think that is just one of a number of factors that have led to this forum's decline.

The site redesign. The rise of the reddit alternative. The proliferation of online instructional resources.

There is also the usual changing of generations that happens with message boards. People inevitably get older, have more responsibilities, have less free time. Most reconsider how they want to spend their time.

Like I said, this is not my original screen name on here. I remember the days when Mirada was the only real mod, when hayliks and Blake Bowman were the Asshole Top Team. Those names mean nothing to this forum now. And why should they? It was more than 10 years ago. All those guys have moved on. Another generation of users came, and had their time, and moved on. And another. It's the way of things.

But maybe with the confluence of factors this forum is facing now, there won't be another generation. Maybe this forum has run its course. Real old timers may remember when the NHBgear forum was the place to be. Dave Jacobs, Kenny Florian, Ryan Hall used to post there. By 2004, it was dead. Maybe that's the fate of Sherdog Grappling.

For me, personally: I stopped following this forum about a year ago. Hell, probably longer. I was actually going to make a thread asking why people post here. Just to hear some opinions. But then I realized I don't visit this forum often enough to check the responses.

So it goes.

Isn't that funny that you can actually learn things off these forums!

Thanks for letting me know that convo 12 years ago helped you out.

Stephan

Social medias is what happened.
Before Facebook, people were only capable of interacting with similar minded individuals on forums like Sherdog.
Then Facebook came along and nicknames got real faces, real names, private details and bunch of possibilities t get together with thousands of people.
Facebook groups, pages and public chats, Twitter, Instagram and many others, replaced forums.

And before NHBgear there was InTheGuard. Who is old enough to remember ITG? Those were the days...

I had a different screen name back then and when I came to Sherdog for the first time I found that my OG screen name had been used here to set up a troll account and banned. I figured it was Groundhog (RIP) or one of his minions but never knew for sure.

While we are at it, am the only one that thinks that the mendes bros teach on how to pull guard the wrong way?

They put the foot on the hip on the same side they control the lapel instead of the side they control the sleeve.

^
Uh, how do you pull guard then? I've always been taught same side as lapel.

Alliance teaches you to post your foot on their hip on the side controlling the sleeve, so they don't have a free arm to drag your leg and put you straight in bottom side mount.

When you think of the reaction the Mendes Bros want (a leg forward, standing posture that invites DLR) the classic guard pull makes a lot of sense. There are a lot of ways to circumvent someone dragging the leg there (having a sleeve, correct body angle, actually compromising the posture with the foot in the hip) and provides a very strong setup for the berimbolo in particular if they can pull with a foot deep in the hip with the posture compromised.

While we are at it, am the only one that thinks that the mendes bros teach on how to pull guard the wrong way?

They put the foot on the hip on the same side they control the lapel instead of the side they control the sleeve.

The Mendes brothers teach a lot of different guard pulls. They also show the one where you have the leg on the lapel side. Your opponent can make you play a collar and sleeve guard rather then de la riva if you do that.

Alliance teaches you to post your foot on their hip on the side controlling the sleeve, so they don't have a free arm to drag your leg and put you straight in bottom side mount.
OK. Now I feel better. I thought I was the only one doing it that way.

Back